Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

What is Mitsubishi's standing in Asia and North America?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:13 AM
LiveWire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is Mitsubishi's standing in Asia and North America?

Hey guys,

I stepped into a Mitsubishi dealership over the weekend, and really fell in love with the Evo Lancer MR. But there arent many dealerships here in Toronto, in fact if I recall correctly they almost got bought out by GM back in 2007, and a lot of their dealerships closed.

Does anyone know anything about Mitsubishi as far as how well their make of cars are? How do they compare in Japan versus Honda, Toyota and Nissan?

Is the car worth it? Fully loaded, with nav etc it will cost $62000 Canadian out the door.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:30 AM
PikesPeakZ

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LiveWire
Hey guys,

I stepped into a Mitsubishi dealership over the weekend, and really fell in love with the Evo Lancer MR. But there arent many dealerships here in Toronto, in fact if I recall correctly they almost got bought out by GM back in 2007, and a lot of their dealerships closed.

Does anyone know anything about Mitsubishi as far as how well their make of cars are? How do they compare in Japan versus Honda, Toyota and Nissan?

Is the car worth it? Fully loaded, with nav etc it will cost $62000 Canadian out the door.
IBTIDIOTSTHATDONTUNDERSTANDCONVERSIONRATECLAIMTHEYWOULDNEVER PAY62000FORANEVO
Old 01-27-2009, 10:51 AM
intense660

62k otd

hell no save your money nick
Old 01-27-2009, 11:50 AM
LiveWire

Yeah I couldn't wrap my head around why its 20 grand more than my car.

But yeah I think ill pass on this. Not worth it. People over at the RSX club thought it was nutz as well lol.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

You just named the top three brands in Japan:

Toyota, Honda, Nissan.

Mitsubishi....meh. Not the best quality.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Ryan@Forged
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LiveWire
Hey guys,

Evo's are amazing cars. I can tell you from personal experience, I own 2 of them, 1 being an MR. However $62000 is absolutely rediculous. Im not sure of the exact conversion rate, but in the US. they go for low $40s for the MR.

Originally Posted by Jun
You just named the top three brands in Japan:

Toyota, Honda, Nissan.

Mitsubishi....meh. Not the best quality.
Where I would agree that the above mentioned companies are great I would not agree with your statement about Mitsubishi's quality. I think you should go test drive a older Evo 03-06 and tell me its of lesser quality than any sports car from the same time period as the Evo. The driving experience would make you retract that statement
Old 01-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the evo != normal mitsubishis

the 4g63 is well known as a reliable engine as well.

I personally love them and wish I could've afforded one! but then I wouldn't have met all you lovely folks. so you know, works out in the end. (EvoM sucks)
Old 01-27-2009, 12:20 PM
noodleman

FYI:

62,000.00 CAD

=

50,533.55 USD

mind you the Evo was not sold in Canada for a number of years until the X came out due to the strict bumper laws of Canada, making the Evo MR more rare than in the US.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:23 PM
edvy

Evos are fast and handle great, also comforty on riding. but the materials they are using, hmm. maybe not that great. I have seen 03 galent under cartiage completely rusted out (from bolts down to most bushing on the frame). And most the parts has to come from the states. Usually take 1-2 wks b4 arriving to toronto. I think you better think twice if u re making the evo your daily ride.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Ryan@Forged
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by edvy
Evos are fast and handle great, also comforty on riding. but the materials they are using, hmm. maybe not that great. I have seen 03 galent under cartiage completely rusted out (from bolts down to most bushing on the frame). And most the parts has to come from the states. Usually take 1-2 wks b4 arriving to toronto. I think you better think twice if u re making the evo your daily ride.
I dont believe the materials are any different than any other car ( I may be wrong about this) I think it completely depends on the conditions the car is being driven in and also how it has been treated i.e. if it is from a cold climate that puts salt all over the street to melt the ice this would over time could cause rust opposed to a warm climate. I have an 03 Evo and an 06 Evo and I don't have a spot of rust anywhere on either of them. My 06 is my daily and it does just fine, never had an issue. I also have many friends who have had them in very cold climates and they are great for driving in the snow. However given the current circumstances I would never pay $50K+ USD for it, much less a X.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:26 PM
aRYip

$62,000...
I rather have the 370z...
Old 01-27-2009, 08:09 PM
stanleylee

i will get a lotus !
Old 01-28-2009, 01:51 PM
XuperXero

Too much safety issues with Mitsubishi makes me stray away from them. I was pretty shocked after reading my friend's essay about this issue. He said it was all over google.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:52 AM
intense660

Originally Posted by XuperXero
Too much safety issues with Mitsubishi makes me stray away from them. I was pretty shocked after reading my friend's essay about this issue. He said it was all over google.

link? you got me on a cliffhanger..
Old 01-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Ryan@Forged
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by XuperXero
Originally Posted by intense660
link? you got me on a cliffhanger..
I would like a link aswell. I have not heard about this until now. I know many people who have been in accidents in Evo's and not one who has been hurt. From my understanding the safety is pretty outstanding in them. The other cars Im not so sure about.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:47 AM
350z-Jim

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2G talon tsi which has basically the same engine as the EVO does. I ran 26psi of boost on race gas and went 12.1 @ 114mph on the stock motor. Lots of other guys have gone much much faster with a stock 4G63 then that.. Later I did pistons rods and some cams and the car was A LOT faster. The motors are great.

I would buy an older EVO if we could get one here, they are awesome. As a matter of fact I would sell my 350Z for an equivalently priced EVO 9 any day. They are awesome cars. Too bad we can't get the 03-06 Evo here and they are not legal to import either.. Bah...

Such a bad *** car ^^^^^^^

Last edited by 350z-Jim; 01-29-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:50 AM
kasimmmmm

62K for an evo? Not really man.. the GSR is for 41K and MR is for 47k? could it be that you're adding a lot of options perhaps? My friend bought an MR for 52K out the door. I'm not sure which options he got or how much he haggled.
wow a lot being said against the evo here, without facts. On the contrary, in Japan, Evo's are modified just as much as Nissans and toyotas, and they're considered a better car manufacturer than honda and mazda. Its up there with Toyota/Nissan.
They may not have the same feel as Nissans and Toyotas, but Mitsubishi builds great motors!
Reliability issues with Mitsubishi's, I haven't heard anything of that sort. Safety issues with Mitsubishi? I haven't heard or read anything of that sort either. I know that there are a lot of articles about Subaru's and safety issues, but not Mitsubishi.
If you're not a tuner, and you're looking for a new car, 41-47K might sound really stupid. But if you want to go fast without many mods, the Evo can do that for you. this car does 0-60 in 4.9 and 1/4 mile is 12.4. Thats FAST!

Last edited by kasimmmmm; 01-29-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:41 PM
XuperXero

ROFL, ok i found it

www.mitsubishisucks.com
Old 01-30-2009, 05:21 AM
kasimmmmm

^ there are websites like that about everything... paypal sucks, nissan sucks, backstreet boys suck, bush sucks. I agree with the last 2 for sure.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:25 AM
Sixth_Vang

Originally Posted by Ryan@Forged
I dont believe the materials are any different than any other car ( I may be wrong about this) I think it completely depends on the conditions the car is being driven in and also how it has been treated i.e. if it is from a cold climate that puts salt all over the street to melt the ice this would over time could cause rust opposed to a warm climate. I have an 03 Evo and an 06 Evo and I don't have a spot of rust anywhere on either of them. My 06 is my daily and it does just fine, never had an issue. I also have many friends who have had them in very cold climates and they are great for driving in the snow. However given the current circumstances I would never pay $50K+ USD for it, much less a X.
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/06/y...too-hard-when/

Quick Reply: What is Mitsubishi's standing in Asia and North America?