Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Parking in Toronto Downtown

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:20 PM
shakalaka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking in Toronto Downtown

Hey guys, I am not sure where else I would ask this, so I am just posting it here. Looking for help from the guys that have lived in T.dot and are familiar with the downtown. So the gf and I will be visiting next month and are staying at the Delta Chelsea Hotel on Gerard Street. I am going to be picking up a rental car right from the airport so I'll obviously be needing a place to park it.

Now I know that parking is always ridiculous in downtown's (Calgary being one of the most expensive) but the Delta Chelsea charges $28 per night! You'd think if people spend over $200 for their rooms per night they'd at least be able to provide complimentary/more economical parking than that.

Anyway so I am looking for suggestions on what other alternatives I can take instead of paying $28 every day for the period of 4 days that I would be staying there. I don't mind paying for it but honestly $28 on top of the room costs just feels ridiculous. So are there other parking places (relatively close) where I can park and go to the hotel? I was checking the area out on google earth and saw that there's a public parking lot right beside the hotel, but couldn't read the signs about how much that costs to park per day.

Any suggestions/opinions/ideas will be greatly appreciated boys. Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:08 AM
slappy1986

hmmm, there is a lot outdoor parking,eg: i forgot the name of the company, but is a red sign with a P in the mid. lol, u should seen that all around canada tho. toronto is not like calgary that expensive, lol I went Calgary couple month ago. the parking in DT is like WOW,lol, very little and expensive. GL & HF in Toronto.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:05 AM
stclairwest

You can probaly find spots for 20 or a little cheaper but it would be more far
Old 05-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Sor

There are a ton of parking locations near your hotel that will charge $20 for all day and $5-6 after 6PM. Around $12 on weekends. Two of them are on Victoria St. and Dundas, about a 3 minute walk from your hotel.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:53 PM
shakalaka

Thanks guys. I am just making sure that I am as prepared as possible. Hell I rather pay $20 than $28 to that stupid hotel. On google earth I saw one right beside the hotel, note sure about the rate though. A couple minutes walk isn't too bad, I don't think. Street parking in Calgary is free after 6 in downtown, is it the same for Toronto at all?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:27 AM
noodleman

it depends on the street. I don't think Yonge has free street parking ever near where you are.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:19 AM
Danny Boy

There are many lots around the Delta Chelsea within 2-3 blocks walking. Early bird day parking will be around $15-18. Night parking I am not sure. Keep in mind that there is no in & out privilege.

If you do a lot of in & out, it would be better to park at the hotel as it may work out to be cheaper. Besides you don’t have to walk - a safety factor down town at night.

Delta Chelsea is located at a nice spot within walking distance:
5 min to Eaton Centre for shopping and subway
10- 20 to fine dining, theatres, CN tower…

Have fun!
Old 05-21-2011, 09:47 PM
TheUntouchableZ

Parking at 40 Gerrard street (apartment). its a 2 minute walk from the Delta. nice underground and its $10 for 24 hours. I've been parking there for the last 3 years its great
Old 05-22-2011, 03:30 PM
shakalaka

$10 and is that for over night parking as well? 40 Gerrard Street doesn't sound bad at all since the hotel is 33 or something I think. Not too far at all.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone else. Danny boy is crime/safety factor a problem in Toronto downtown in the evenings?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Danny Boy

For the $10 parking make sure there is in & out privilege. Otherwise, it may turn out to be more.

There are always safety issues in downtown TO. Foot Locker, around the corner of Yonge and Gerard from the Hotel, is where the 2005 Boxing Day shot out took place where Jane Creba the 15 year old girl was kills.

In all fairness, the recently weekly gun fights have been at the Jane/Finch area – 15 Km north west of the Hotel.

As a local, I always stay away from the downtown entertainment areas.