Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

The Hack Job. My body shop horror story

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 08:24 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, welcome to bodyshops.

I'm amazed you guys all think this is that bad - it's almost common ground with every aftermarket paint job I've seen come through here.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:56 AM
knuklz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ with crappy shops sure mine turned out amazing
Old 11-30-2011, 11:12 AM
4DGS

Originally Posted by xjuddx
I don't know who Miguel is but this is Larkspur blue from a 57 Bel Air. I was initially trying to get the powder blue used on an old Triumph convertible.
Oh ok, it's this car but now I see what you're going for. Good choice!

Another member on here (MaxEvo) got ****ed by his paint shop. Basically the same thing as this, got screwed around and the final product was absolute ****.

Give him 2 or 3 weeks, tell it better be flawless or you won't be speaking about the car any longer. The car will be picked up and any communication that is need will be done through your lawyer. Then hand him your lawyers business card lol

This will not only scare the **** out of him, but also gives you grounds to take action. Then have him sign a written document that 3 weeks from now the car will be up to YOUR standards. Make the YOUR part very clear so that he can not say "well I am happy with this paint as should the customer"

Hope you sort it out man, paint shops are one of the best at hiding their shadiness.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Armando

do you really trust them fixing it after what they delivered? just get a lawyer and take it somewhere else
Old 11-30-2011, 11:24 AM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Holy!

I thought my body shop experience was bad....

Unfortunately, with work this sub-standard, I would fear that they would not have the financial resources to even make it work.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:34 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

You should include the shop name in the title of this thread so it will show up when people research them.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:31 PM
xjuddx

I don't trust him to do it right, but at this point I don't really trust anybody to do it right. I am not going to make any decision on what to do until I speak to a lawyer when I get home Dec 10th. I am going to discuss all the options I have including taking him to court(which I may never see money from even if I win), going through his insurance(brilliant idea and I don't know why I never thought of it), getting him to re do it like he offered(would only consider this if I was heavily involved and had a lot of guarantees on paper) or getting my money back and doing it myself(I would rather spend 3 weeks sanding my OK paint job then get one more terrible one).

I have a feeling that the most likely 2 options if I want it redone are going to be going through insurance where I will take it to the best place in the city to get redone or Him doing over with me babysitting him every step of the way because he won't have enough liquid cash to pay for it elsewhere.

Does anybody know anywhere to get rims repaired so I can get a quote on getting this chemical **** cleaned off my rims if it is even possible?

[edit] And I did see that horror story thread with the wood screws last week and I am thankful that he didn't go that far

Last edited by xjuddx; 11-30-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: adding a comment
Old 11-30-2011, 04:39 PM
bingbing

no shop capable of fixing that will touch it for under $10k

there is a weeks worth of prep and parts replacemant before you can even spray it.

if you hadnt put so much time into the post i would have sworn this was a bait thread.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Wu-Watt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, I feel for you. Not only did they do terrible work but they f.ucked up your Volks too?
Vendetta!!!
Wow
They must have thought because you were in China that they could get away with this.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:00 PM
xjuddx

yeah they got some chemical on my volks that left white marks. Hopefully it can be easily polished out otherwise I might end up having a "what colour should I powder coat my volks" thread in the near future

As for the cost 10k is about what I figured excluding parts. Because of that I am leaning very heavily on insurance being the best option to go with. Even if I take him to court it is doubtful that he will have the finances to pay that kind of money any time soon which would leave me without my Z for a long time.

Basically I am in a really shitty spot and I will probably be lucky if I have my car next summer unless I want to drive it around like this.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Wu-Watt

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ328688655

It even says in the ad that they are the "cheapest auto body shop in town".

Last edited by Wu-Watt; 11-30-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:12 PM
xjuddx

Originally Posted by Wu-Watt
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ328688655

It even says in the ad that they are the "cheapest auto body shop in town".
I wish I paid $599 for a full paint or even $1599. Or got a free tow like that add says. hmmm specialize in paint too according to that ad. I wish this ad was posted when i dropped my car off cause it would have changed my mind that's for sure.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Wu-Watt

That ad had over 700 hits too. I wonder how many others got scammed by them?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:25 PM
xjuddx

I honestly hope only me. I hope that anybody else that got work there didn't get completely ****ed.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:48 PM
bingbing

dude, if you're actually willing to pay fair market value for the work that needs to be done i can help you out with this... but it'll be a blank cheque scenerio... it's going to take some mega-dedication to un-fukk this car.

do you know if the desired paint colour is paint-manufacturer specific? some rarer colours are like that. If you know who makes the paint i can put likely put you in a shop that sprays that brand exclusively.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:43 PM
xjuddx

pm'ing you
Old 11-30-2011, 07:59 PM
knuklz

Pm me for a proper bodyshop who can assist you in fixing this mess without any hassle.. Seriously
Old 11-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Kiriller

pmed you man, sorry to hear, ill try to help you out with this

i honestly cant understand how a BODYSHOP can do that, me with 0 experience in bodyshop can do a better job then that.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:51 AM
Sickboy101

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey Judd,

I work for CTV and can forward your story/pics onto one of the senior local news producers. I feel this is a story worth telling as it will prevent others from being taken advantage off by this "butcher shop".
Old 12-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Rocknthehawk

Originally Posted by xjuddx
I wish I paid $599 for a full paint or even $1599. Or got a free tow like that add says. hmmm specialize in paint too according to that ad. I wish this ad was posted when i dropped my car off cause it would have changed my mind that's for sure.
LOL

Materials alone will run well over $599. No way in ****ing hell would i allow the guy to touch the car again. Anyone thats willing to try and pass that **** off doesn't deserve another chance.

$10k is a good estimate. A full repaint done correctly is labor intensive. Pulling all the glass, moldings, lights, seals, doing jambs, etc...adds up quickly.

Quick Reply: The Hack Job. My body shop horror story