Have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 04:37 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have some questions

1. I originally wanted an Injen SES Straight-Tip Exhaust, Nexus Headers, Injen Race Pipes, Injen Cold Air Intake, Kinetix Aluminum Plenum. BUT, I got interested in the 2005 Mustang, and you just can't beat the sound. Now, i'm still undecided on which car, although almost all of my family tells me to get the Z. Anyway, what exhaust/intake combo's would help the sound be more aggressive towards sounding like a V8? I don't like the idea of a y-pipe, so an x-pipe or true dual is fine, or even an h-pipe. I realize sound is opinion and it varies, but, after a while you can get a general consensus of something.

2. As far as rear differential gears, why doesn't anyone make 4.10 gears or so? Gears are very important as far as i'm concerned, if you swap out gears you could be accelerating faster (depending on which ratio gears you get though) than stock on a stock car, regardless of what car, right? I know 350EVO makes 3.9 final drive gears, wouldn't this lower the top-end?

3. I want to get some more information about ECU's and tuning (as far as A/F ratios, timing, etc.) so I can be able to tune my own ECU when I get my car. I would rather just do everything myself. Where could I get some info on this or if anyone has any info on this they can give it. So what would be a good product to get to allow me to do this? (Turbo XS module, SAFC-II, etc.)

4. I plan on getting either Turbonetics single turbo kit, or Top Secret Turbo kit (if they ever spec it to USDM), or APS turbo kit. Question about the Turbonetics single turbo kit, I need a diagram of how it hooks up to the exhaust, i'm a little confused, is it after the headers and before the race pipes/cats? In that case, wouldn't that offset how the rest of the exhaust fits?

My ultimate plan is to do basic mods until I can save up enough money to get a turbo kit and then get it, and start saving up for internals, I was going to do internals first and then a turbo kit but I figured why wait, the stock internals can hold 400rwhp if tuned correctly, and I can just upgrade as I get the money and slowly turn the boost up. Anyway, I guess that's it for now.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I've got a couple more questions.

5. What kind of camshafts do I need to be running, as far as lope and duration? I wanted 264 Tomei's, since it would rev rougher, but then I saw somewhere that I may not be able to run those with a turbocharger, so should I wait until I get F/I? And what camshafts should I get?
Old 11-28-2004, 02:18 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Bump...
Old 11-28-2004, 02:26 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think if you spend some time (maybe 20 minutes) searching, you'll find all the answers

the only gears out are the 350Evo ones. Does it lower top speed? Yes. By how much? no idea...my car still got up to 160 with them in it

exhaust wise - it makes ZERO difference in performance if you have a Y pipe + cat back or a true dual - the power gains are the same. The sound is a functon of the rear section (muffler) only, and whether it has headers, cats, test pipes or a combo of those

ecu - do some searches, its way too much for anyone to post in a simple concise manner and there is no "right" answer.

If you plan on getting one of these turbo kits, then you need to readdress your ecu issue. Cannot speak of the TS one (Doubt you'll ever see it on these shores), but the Turbonetics hooks up to a stock type exhaust - a true dual, as far as I know, won't work, but someone can correct me if I am wrong

Cams - actually the Tomei are an awesome choice for a FI car. Again, the cams you should get depend on your ultimate goals and what you're setup looks like. There once again is no right answer, but rather several good answers.

Adam
Old 11-29-2004, 03:24 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I was hoping I could get some links to ECU information and tuning.

As far as cams, I was needing to know if a Tomei 264 cam would work after I get a Turbonetics or APS single turbo kit.

Would high-flow cats make a deeper sound than race pipes?

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there really are no links for ecu tuning. Your choice to flash the stock ecu is via technosquare or one of their dealers that bought the software.

Other choice out now is the F Con from HKS

yes 264's from Tomei would be a great choice

cats will be far quieter, even with FI, than test pipes