Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

niiiice
Old 12-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Z-Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review. Added to Christmas wish list.

Z-Stalker
Old 12-02-2004, 04:20 PM
G3po

Default tranny mount

I've heard that 2005 Gs and maybe Zs have a beefier rear trans mount to reduce TQ movement. Any confirmation on this. If so maybe a good adder with the TQ damper.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:43 PM
ReavTek

What did you grind it out with? I tried drilling some holes in a license plate cover and I bent the bit. :/ Either I suck or my drill sucks. Any suggestions?
Old 12-03-2004, 01:25 AM
jreiter

Originally posted by ReavTek
What did you grind it out with? I tried drilling some holes in a license plate cover and I bent the bit. :/ Either I suck or my drill sucks. Any suggestions?
My buddy had this drill bit which was apparently made for grinding. It just looked like a very course, short drill bit. That worked. We first tried some course, small files, but they took too much work.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:14 PM
4mrBMWguy

I installed the damper this afternoon. I will say....this is a MUST for all. Installation was no problem. I had no issues with the bracket holes being off set from the frame rail mounting points (I own a G coupe, don't know if this matters).

Drive train lash is completely eliminated. Shifting smoothness is GREATLY improved. I only notice addtional vibration while at idle (not enough to bother me). At various driving speeds, I notice NO additional vibration whatsoever. Car feels more solid and precise.

This may be the best bang for the buck! The $114 GB price was well worth it (thanks Jason @ performance nissan parts).

Hope this helps answer any questions about the damper.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:44 PM
jreiter

Finally tooks some pics of the install. As you can see, the thing is tucked down in there pretty good.

Old 12-06-2004, 04:08 AM
Edogg218

Thank you for taking the pictures, I appreciate it!
Old 12-06-2004, 04:35 PM
Enron Exec

Is this GB still open?
Old 12-06-2004, 04:49 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by Enron Exec
Is this GB still open?
I think Performance Nissan's normal price as listed on their site is $115 all the time.

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...oducts_id=1596

For added benefits, be sure to mention that you are a my350z.com member when you place your order.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:54 PM
4mrBMWguy

Originally posted by jreiter
I think Performance Nissan's normal price as listed on their site is $115 all the time.

For added benefits, be sure to mention that you are a my350z.com member when you place your order.
The GB included shipping.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:40 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by 4mrBMWguy
The GB included shipping.
Don't let an extra few bucks on a $115 purchase deter you from such a great mod.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:14 AM
4mrBMWguy

Don't let an extra few bucks on a $115 purchase deter you from such a great mod.
Agreed 100%. Everybody should get this mod.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:56 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you guys go. I added a coupon code on our site to give you free shipping...

Place an order at the below link and put the coupon code SDGBFS in the box after you put in your CC info...

Code = SDGBFS

Free shipping only aplies to UPS Insured GROUND shipping...

Last edited by Jason@Performance; 12-07-2004 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:04 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by gq_626
the VQ looks rock solid. It almost looks like its not even running!
gq, do you still have the stock flywheel installed? If so, I think this would account for less engine movement when letting off WOT compared to the JWT jreiter has.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:19 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by 350Zenophile
gq, do you still have the stock flywheel installed? If so, I think this would account for less engine movement when letting off WOT compared to the JWT jreiter has.
Hehe, I would think it would be just the opposite. A lighter flywheel would have less rotational intertia, and would thus be quicker and easier to spin up and down while revving. Take a big cubic inch muscle car engine with a super heavy flywheel and other heavy spinning parts (crank shaft, etc), for example. When you rev those suckers the whole car moves quite a bit, especially if you have stiff engine mounts. If you were to put a lightweight flywheel and other lightened spinning parts in that engine, it would rock much less while revving. The same goes for my car. I could make the car rock a bit while revving with the stock flywheel, but with the JWT the car barely moves at all while revving.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:28 PM
jasonlee4180

This is probably a stupid question, but what are the problems of using a stiff metal plate of some sort instead of the dampener?

That would probably make the ride stiff as heck, but would that do more harm than good?
Old 12-09-2004, 11:51 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by jasonlee4180
This is probably a stupid question, but what are the problems of using a stiff metal plate of some sort instead of the dampener?
That would probably make the ride stiff as heck, but would that do more harm than good?
Probably wouldn't make any difference, to be honest. Until I received this thing in the mail, I thought it was just a baby shock absorber. But it's not. The shaft doesn't really slide in and out like a shock would. It's basically just a length-adjustable rod with special fitting on each end to attach to the car.

If you make your own, just be careful about where you mount it. A fair amount of torque is pushed and pulled on this thing, so make sure the bolts and mount points can take the stress. In the 2nd pic that I posted up above, you can see that Stillen made a little support bracket to help distribute some load between the two bolts on the right n the photo. On the left side, they made a bigger bracket piece that distributes the load between 3 bolts down on the frame rail.

You don't want to strip the bolts out of place, or bend or break them while driving hard. That being said, you can get these little generic torque damper kits on Ebay for a whole lot cheaper if you're willing to figure out your own mount points.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:27 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by gq_626
When I dynoed my car, I was always impressed that the VQ motor doesnt budget at all. It seems very stiff right from the factory. For instance, are a 400whp blast in 5th gear, as soon as I left off, the engine seriosuly doesnt move an inch.
Really? Geez, mine rocked like a baby until I put the torque damper in.
Just trying to make sense of your conflicting statements j. I was speaking specifically to the point of letting off WOT. The inertia contained in the heavier flywheel will ease the decceleration of the motor.

As for the engines of old...The heavy iron block and heads, torque output and soft rubber drivetrain mounts conspire to rock the engine more than any flywheel design.

Funny how that used to be desirable to musclecar owners with the "Shaker" hoods!
Old 12-10-2004, 12:27 PM
jreiter

Hehe. Yeah, I know what you mean. I actually did consider the various other factors you mentioned, but I decided not to post them since we were just talking about flywheels. But you got it, big, rocking cars were probably considered cool back in the muscle car days. Heck, I guess they still are to a lot of folks.

As far as heavy flywheels, they would indeed slow down the rocking motion a bit, but I'd think that the total end-to-end rocking distance would be the same. The heavy flywheel would just make the engine get there a little slower. But heck, who knows? We're also talking a G vs Z, so there could be any number of things different.