Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

aftermarket LSD i.e. (Cusco)Red Line gear oil warning!Does yours make noise slow tur

Old 12-16-2004, 09:14 PM
Poizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket LSD i.e. (Cusco)Red Line gear oil warning!Does yours make noise slow tur

There are two kinds of Redline 75W90 gear oil. One has friction-modifier break-in additive in it already, and the other doesnt and you have to add 4 oz of friction modifier. The bottle that says NS on it doesnt have any friction modifier in it .

The one that says 75W90 HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR OIL ALL-SYNTHETIC FORMULA ;has friction modifier in it. If you se NS anywhere on the bottle beware.

No one told me there were two different bottles; so from day one Ive had no friction modifier in my differential. Cusco never said a word. The distributor never said a word. Or am I the only fool on this forum who wasnt misinformed just not informed.

Has any one seen a thread or a post on this subject. I cant believe how irresponsible manufactures and or distributors have become. Half the time the people representing the manufacturing companies and their distributors are not informed. They dont even know what their selling us..... We know more than they do after trial and error, there shouldnt have to be trial and error they should be able to warn us ahead of time.

Surely if I was involved in the selling of a product I would surely know my product. Hey buddy enjoy your new LSD make sure you get the red line that doesnt say NS on the bottle or you will have to get a bottle of the additive that goes with it.

Unbelievable not one person could tell me this even after all the complaints to the manufacturer and on these forums about how noisey and clunky the LSD sounds when going slow when turning.

Does everyone think were a bunch of pussies and cant handle a little noise in our race cars. They should have known after all the complaining that something didnt sound right. That cant be our product their talking about because ours hardly makes any noise WHEN THE RIGHT GEAR OIL IS INSTALLED

After adding the additive tonight after a few thousand miles had been put on the Cusco in 3 minutes all the noises were gone. I can put the car in 1st gear and make a u-turn totaly cranked and no noise. I am pissed!

Im calling cusco and the person I bought it from tomorrrow. Im sure their going to tell me not to worry.... it didnt hurt a thing..... ******** the longevity of my diff. just went out the window. Ill tell you one thing our LSDs better last.

Anyway I thought I should share this with everyone. If Im the only idiot please let me know; and Im sure you will.warning warning!warning!

Last edited by Poizon; 12-16-2004 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:06 PM
Skrill

Yeah ...

NS = no friction modifier = for gear boxes, helps synchros.

No NS = w/ friction modifier = for LSDs.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:26 AM
aalzuhair

Poizon, thanks man ... I have the same thing and I was told to change the lockup and NOT the oil.

Thank you,

Az

PS: I love this LSD at high speeds
Old 12-17-2004, 06:50 AM
Asterix

Read the label on the bottle. It tells you exactly what you discovered.

The NS is available for those who want to tune the friction to their own taste. I've found that oil with the slip additive already added has too much. The LSD never locks up. I can mix the NS and regular to get the lock I want, but there is some slip, so it's quiet. The other option is to use only NS and add the slip additive yourself. Add a little at a time until it's quiet enough and locks like you want it too. It's easy to add more slip, but really hard to take it back out.

Asterix
Old 12-17-2004, 07:02 AM
Poizon

Asterix, I read the bottles at the auto store I buy from. When I went in looking for something else I noticed two different bottles of red line 75W90. When I went In the first time to get the red line there was only one in stock so I never questioned what I was getting.

I almost died when I started reading. And yes I read where you can do as you say add your own to your liking. Is your LSD set at 100% lockup. AT 100% lockup the red line with the additive in it should work fine.

If your set at any other lockup % then your right the one with the additive will make it too slick to catch. My problem and many others im sure is your supposed to at least have this additive in during break in and alot of us have been bone dry.