Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Do yourself a favor and switch to Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so how many bottles do i need to buy for an oil change? i'm planning to switching to Mobil1 on my next trip.

and don't say "two bottles, the big ones".
Old 01-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Skrill

Assuming you're stock (no aftermarket oil pan, oil cooler, etc.) -- 5 quarts exactly.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:54 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by Jun
so how many bottles do i need to buy for an oil change? i'm planning to switching to Mobil1 on my next trip.

and don't say "two bottles, the big ones".
Yeah, it's 5 qts. You can get a pretty good deal at Costco for a case at a less than $24 (6 qts in a case). I also hear about Walmart though... that they sell a 5 qt bottle or something for under $20 or something. Changing the oil IS MUCH EASIER than installing the HIDs IMO
Old 01-13-2005, 08:43 PM
FAIRLADY350Z

Originally posted by chachi999999999
Don't use another filter than the Nissan filter. I was talking to the Nissan guys when I first got my car about changing to synthetic. They told me that mobil 1 synthetic was the best for the Z. Then I asked them about what oil filter. They said to stay with the nissan oem because it is specially designed for the Z, and that any other filter may not do as good of a job and may harm the motor in the long run.

Never use a different oil filter besides the OEM nissan or if you have to, FRAM X2 oil filters. CHACHI9999999 your right all the way! the reason being is, the stock and fram x2 have a special oil drain back valve put into the filters. its acrtually something that prevents dry start up on the engine in the morning. it seals itself and keep the oil in the filter. other filters drain all the oil back into the oil sump resulting in a dry oil filter. basically, it takes a longer time for the oil to travel and lubricate the engine. Even MOBILE 1 filters dont have it. They actually claim that they do, but only on certain filters, NOT ALL. Now im not saying that im right all the way, just my point of view and all my instrucotrs at UTI! Think about it guys!
Old 01-14-2005, 10:58 AM
Torkaholic

Originally posted by FAIRLADY350Z
Never use a different oil filter besides the OEM nissan or if you have to, FRAM X2 oil filters. CHACHI9999999 your right all the way! the reason being is, the stock and fram x2 have a special oil drain back valve put into the filters. its acrtually something that prevents dry start up on the engine in the morning. it seals itself and keep the oil in the filter. other filters drain all the oil back into the oil sump resulting in a dry oil filter. basically, it takes a longer time for the oil to travel and lubricate the engine. Even MOBILE 1 filters dont have it. They actually claim that they do, but only on certain filters, NOT ALL. Now im not saying that im right all the way, just my point of view and all my instrucotrs at UTI! Think about it guys!
Back to the books for you. . .

Every M1 filter that I've ever seen has the ADBV (anti drain back valve). Of the three Mobil (that's "Mobil" by the way, "Mobile" is a mid-sized city in coastal Alabama...) filters that fit the VQ35DE engine, ALL have the ADBV. The M1-108 (stock size) has it, as do the M1-110 (elongated stock) and M1-105 (big fat oversized filter). In addition, the Mobil-1 oil filters all have the superior silicone ADBV, which you can usually spot by its orange color. Lesser filters use nitrile rubber, which is almost always black when used for ADBVs.

By the way, even the non-X2 Frams have ADBVs, at least in the sizes that fit the VQ series engines.

For my own personal knowledge (and entertainment), I have used a pipe cutter to take apart numerous oil filters, and I have seen these things with my own two eyes. What I have seen inside the Nissan OEM is discouraging. In the short (stock VQ size for the G35 which I own), Nissan uses weak Fram style cardboard end caps, whereas Mobil (actually all Champion Labs filters) and Purolator use far stronger metal end caps.

In my opinion, the small OEM filter is barely acceptable, and I'd never choose it given the better alternatives. The elongated stock filter does use the metal end cap type design, and so is probably just fine, but of course, I can get just as good (probably better) M1 filters for a bit less money and much more conveniently.

Do I need to start posting more pictures to demonstrate the errors in your post??? Sorry if I sound arrogant, but you really need to check your facts before you start putting them out there as gospel truth.

Last edited by Torkaholic; 01-14-2005 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:53 PM
FairladyZ

I agree, although it could be all in our heads? I posted this a while ago, and got reened saying I was crazy, a ricer, etc....

My only defense was that some oils/lubricants (sp?) add horsepower. On horsepower tv (not sure if its still called this) dynoed b4 and after using royal purple and actually gained like 10 rwhp on I believe a 98 Z28. They also changed the rear end gear oil and tranny.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:24 PM
aws6000

Originally posted by FairladyZ
I agree, although it could be all in our heads? I posted this a while ago, and got reened saying I was crazy, a ricer, etc....

My only defense was that some oils/lubricants (sp?) add horsepower. On horsepower tv (not sure if its still called this) dynoed b4 and after using royal purple and actually gained like 10 rwhp on I believe a 98 Z28. They also changed the rear end gear oil and tranny.
Don't trust everything you see on tv. First you need to ask... who sponsors the show and who pays for the products that are featured on the show. I love watching some of the shows on Speed, but I also laugh about some of the products that are "featured". "So, I can just put this magnet around my fuel line and increase my gas mileage by 10%?"

If you wander over here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com It will dispel alot of the myths you've learned on horsepower tv concerning oil and filters.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:31 PM
FAIRLADY350Z

like i said, im not right all the way! just giving my point of view. you probably have more experience on it. and also i didnt say all of the mobil 1 filters dont have the drain back valve, i said certain filters do. All good though, as long as everyone out there knows the truth!
Old 01-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Torkaholic

Originally posted by FAIRLADY350Z
like i said, im not right all the way! just giving my point of view. you probably have more experience on it. and also i didnt say all of the mobil 1 filters dont have the drain back valve, i said certain filters do. All good though, as long as everyone out there knows the truth!
Is it possible you're thinking of the bypass valve, versus the ADBV? I've worked on my own cars since the late 70s, and I've never come across a filter without an ADBV (not claiming for sure that such a filter does not exist, just never seen one). On the other hand, a sizeable number of filters do not have a bypass valve built into them, as that function is incorporated into the oil pump mechanism (or just downstream thereof).

In this picture, the ADBV is the orange thing in the foreground, and in the assembled filter, it fits against the inside of the base plate, allowing oil to flow only into, not out of, the "entrance" holes. The bypass valve is the black "dot" atop the metal end cap of the filtration element. Its metal spring and retaining hardware are just beneath the black valve "body." If the element becomes too restricted, the oil pressure will push the valve open, allowing unfiltered oil to flow directly down the center tube and into the engine.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:34 AM
FairladyZ

Originally posted by aws6000
Don't trust everything you see on tv. First you need to ask... who sponsors the show and who pays for the products that are featured on the show. I love watching some of the shows on Speed, but I also laugh about some of the products that are "featured". "So, I can just put this magnet around my fuel line and increase my gas mileage by 10%?"

If you wander over here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com It will dispel alot of the myths you've learned on horsepower tv concerning oil and filters.
Very true. To bad I didnt get a reply like this.