Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

JWT Clutch & Flywheel/UR Pulleys (Best Mod yet!!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 06:05 PM
done12many2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JWT Clutch & Flywheel/UR Pulleys (Best Mod yet!!)

Last night we spent a few hours putting in the JWT clutch and flywheel combo that I purchased from Coz @ Concept Z Performance. The install itself went without a hitch and I must say that I am totally impressed with this setup.

The package included everything you need minus the alignment tool. I am really glad that we looked at the new throw out bearing because we almost didn't replace it. The bearing that comes with the JWT package is much bigger than the factory, which is what I believe contributed greatly to the new point at which the clutch begins to grabs. The new setup now begins grabbing about an inch off the floor, which is exactly what I was looking for.

As far as drivability, this clutch is perfect. I haven't had a chance to really push the setup hard as I am still breaking it in, but I can tell you that I am definitely in need of more traction in the very near future. The clutch still allows a great deal of slipping and grabs a little harder than the OEM. Considering that this clutch has 1200KG of clamping force, I was really glad that I didn't lose the ability to slip the clutch for smooth driving. The way I have learned to launch the Z best for me also involves quite a bit of slipping.

As far as the UR Pulleys, we went ahead and threw all three pulleys on from the complete set. I ordered this from Coz as well, and it came with all the belts needed for the install. We decided to "one up" the kit and added our own little twist to things. We removed the power steering pump from the equation by bypassing its pulley. The only thing required in doing so was a bit of filing to the head of one of the bolts that holds the power steering pump in place. Of course, it also involved a shorter belt than what came with the pulley set as well.

As far as drivability, without power steering, if you are a weak individual, I wouldn't recommend it. However if you are of average strength then it’s actually a really nice mod. I only need to work the steering wheel a little harder when parking or turning at extremely low speed (under 5 MPH). At highway speed, it is nothing short of awesome because it doesn’t have the edgy feel anymore and you really feel the way the car is behaving in corners. I am by no means an expert in the area of high performance driving but I can tell you that I personally prefer the new feel at speed a lot better.

The reason I went with the power steering bypass is based off of the recommendation of one of the co-owners of the shop that did my work. He said that it made a noticeable difference in the feel of his Z and also that he noticed the gains of freeing up the pulley system even more. If for some reason I decided that I wanted use the power steering again, all I have to do is loosen up the tensioner and throw the longer belt on. The installer had me do it one time to insure that I could handle the task. It takes a couple of minutes at most.

I can say that with these mods now done, the motor revs extremely quick. There is no doubt that the Z is a lot stronger now, just by driving around breaking in the clutch. If you do not have better traction than OEM with this mod, you can expect to have a lot of dancing in first and second gear from the rear end breaking loose. Each time I blip the throttle in first results in instantaneous spin. I guess I know what my next mod is!!
Attached Thumbnails JWT Clutch & Flywheel/UR Pulleys (Best Mod yet!!)-dsc00011.jpg  
Old 12-24-2004, 06:06 PM
done12many2

Seem to be having problems with multiple pics.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:09 PM
done12many2

Oh well can't get anymore to post.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:27 AM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much?
Old 12-25-2004, 06:48 AM
done12many2

Originally posted by solidsnake
How much?
Clutch and flywheel:
http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...53566.69.14.55

Pulleys:
http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...53566.69.14.55
Old 12-25-2004, 09:10 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That part number for the clutch is the Z32 clutch that people fit into the 350z...

The 350z clutch (different part number) has a little more clamping force and can hold more HP...

PM me for special pricing on JWT Clutch and Flywheel set ups..

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...th=153_175_372
Old 12-25-2004, 09:24 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

any videos of how it revs? I want to see the difference between this one and the 8lb Tilton flywheel.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:43 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

It will rev quicker because of the UR Crank Pulley...

The JWT Flywheel and Cluch is only a 14lb weight reduction from stock but also still retains the large rotating mass area...
Old 12-25-2004, 10:30 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

I really like the JWT Clutch Flywheel setup... It's retains all of the stock usability with the added clamping force and acceleration performance...

Definitely a quality product and a great price.

I'm really wondering how much power it's going to hold up to... We'll soon see.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:04 PM
95civicgsr

Originally posted by Philthy
I really like the JWT Clutch Flywheel setup... It's retains all of the stock usability with the added clamping force and acceleration performance...

Definitely a quality product and a great price.

I'm really wondering how much power it's going to hold up to... We'll soon see.
Now that I have the clutch broken in, I can tell you that I prefer this setup greatly compared to the OEM. It slips just as much as the OEM, however if you let it out faster, you can feel it grab much harder than the OEM. The point at which the clutch begins to grabs is much lower to the floor, which worked out perfect for me.

As a side note, I have absolutely no additional noise what so ever coming from this setup. I was worried that it might make the infamous "cement mixer" sound. If anything it got better. I think that my old bearing was starting to make some noise that I would hear from time to time with my OEM.

First gear is nothing but a spin fest, no matter where you are in the power band, provided you go full throttle and much of second is the same.

I will try to get vids up tomorrow if someone can help me out with hosting.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:59 PM
95civicgsr

hey done12many next time log me out lol. the car runs really good,get some traction and you'll be able to controll that beast. later jason
Old 12-26-2004, 09:10 AM
done12many2

Originally posted by 95civicgsr
hey done12many next time log me out lol. the car runs really good,get some traction and you'll be able to controll that beast. later jason
Good idea!
Old 12-27-2004, 09:45 AM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW you spenst around 1100 bucks on those bad boys..Was it worth every penny?
Old 12-27-2004, 06:36 PM
done12many2

Originally posted by solidsnake
WOW you spenst around 1100 bucks on those bad boys..Was it worth every penny?
Yep. Just over 1100 for the flywheel combo and the 3 piece pulley set. Was it worth every penny? Absolutely. Probably should have been the first thing I did. It has no doubt been the best bang for the buck for me!
Old 12-29-2004, 03:00 AM
jreiter

Originally posted by Jun
any videos of how it revs? I want to see the difference between this one and the 8lb Tilton flywheel.
My JWT flywheel revs a tiny bit faster than stock, but not much. Since done12many2 has pullies, that will make his car rev a bit faster. Still, neither of them will rev like a Tilton. A buddy of mine here in town just installed his. That thing is just crazy. Revs like a motorcycle.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:35 AM
omarv6

ok what would be a Talon combo price ? for every day use and time to time track and street racing ?
can i fit a talon flywheel on a JWT clutch?
i need to get a flywheel cluch setup soon !
what about ADC and EXEDY ....wich is the best setup of all ....
thax guys .
Old 12-29-2004, 08:52 AM
DrVolkl

How much does the JWT flywheel weigh??? How about the Tilton and stock?

I also heard URacing makes one too...how much does that one weigh?

So all of the gains are the flywheel, not the clutch, right???

How hard is it to install? I'm a do-it-yourself guy, but by no means a mechanic. I'm rebuilding an '88 pathfinder with a blown head gasket right now. Should I have too much trouble getting the flywheel out? Do you have to jack up the engine or anyhting special?
Old 12-29-2004, 09:07 AM
Diesel350

Originally posted by DrVolkl
How much does the JWT flywheel weigh??? How about the Tilton and stock?

I also heard URacing makes one too...how much does that one weigh?

So all of the gains are the flywheel, not the clutch, right???

How hard is it to install? I'm a do-it-yourself guy, but by no means a mechanic. I'm rebuilding an '88 pathfinder with a blown head gasket right now. Should I have too much trouble getting the flywheel out? Do you have to jack up the engine or anyhting special?
Flywheels alone:
JWT-14lbs
UR-12lbs
Tilton-8lbs
UR is quietest of the 3.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:51 AM
DrVolkl

Originally posted by Diesel350
Flywheels alone:
JWT-14lbs
UR-12lbs
Tilton-8lbs
UR is quietest of the 3.
Thanks. I saw someone posted this in another thred too.

If I can use the stock clutch on a UR or JWT flywheel, I'm going to throw this in this summer.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Diesel350

Originally posted by DrVolkl
Thanks. I saw someone posted this in another thred too.

If I can use the stock clutch on a UR or JWT flywheel, I'm going to throw this in this summer.
Yes you can use those flywheels with the stock clutch.

Quick Reply: JWT Clutch & Flywheel/UR Pulleys (Best Mod yet!!)