Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

JWT Clutch & Flywheel/UR Pulleys (Best Mod yet!!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 10:53 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind if you bolt on a stock clutch & disc to any of the flywheels that take stock clutches you need to add 23-26lbs to the weight of the flywheel...

Tilton Flywheel AND Clutch is 16lbs total...
Old 12-29-2004, 07:52 PM
jreiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Diesel350
Yes you can use those flywheels with the stock clutch.
The Tilton is a smaller diameter than stock, so you must actually use a clutch of the same size. Obviously the Tilton clutch fits with the Tilton flywheel. Don't know if anyone else makes one.

stock flywheel diameter: 12"
Tilton kit: 7.25" (give or take)
Old 12-29-2004, 07:57 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
Keep in mind if you bolt on a stock clutch & disc to any of the flywheels that take stock clutches you need to add 23-26lbs to the weight of the flywheel...
Tilton Flywheel AND Clutch is 16lbs total...
I prefer to think of it in a different way that isn't so negative towards the non-Tilton kits. You will always have the weight of the clutch and flywheel combined, because you will always have both of those parts. So I think of it like this:

A JWT flywheel with a stock clutch drops 14 pounds off the stock system.

A JWT flywheel with Nismo clutch drops 16 pounds off the stock system.

A Tilton kit drops 32 pounds off the stock system.

Seems like you're always trying to convince people to get the Tilton kit. While I think it's a really cool kit, I just don't think most people will be okay with it. It's just not streetable enough for 95% of the people out there. (Except for maybe that carbon/carbon clutch they have, but that thing is way too expensive for most folks.)
Old 12-29-2004, 10:06 PM
done12many2

I think that the Tilton clutch and flywheel are a great product as well, but after trying to learn how to properly launch this combo, I think that the Tilton would have been too complicated for me. For everyday driving the JWT kit is perfect, but to launch at the track, will take a lot more practice. This clutch changes the behavior of the car at the track considerably.

With 60' time that was .17 worse than my previous best without clutch and flywheel, I was able to run .21 faster than my last best. So if you add the .17 back I'd be roughly .38 or more quicker through the 1/4. We all now that a tenth of gain at the 60' usually equals more than a tenths of gain in the 1/4. Add in the fact that I bogged heavily on that pass and I would guess that .4 to .5 gain is highly realistic.

I did a write-up on the track results here:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=104357

Originally posted by jreiter
I prefer to think of it in a different way that isn't so negative towards the non-Tilton kits. You will always have the weight of the clutch and flywheel combined, because you will always have both of those parts. So I think of it like this:

A JWT flywheel with a stock clutch drops 14 pounds off the stock system.

A JWT flywheel with Nismo clutch drops 16 pounds off the stock system.

A Tilton kit drops 32 pounds off the stock system.

Seems like you're always trying to convince people to get the Tilton kit. While I think it's a really cool kit, I just don't think most people will be okay with it. It's just not streetable enough for 95% of the people out there. (Except for maybe that carbon/carbon clutch they have, but that thing is way too expensive for most folks.)
Old 12-29-2004, 10:07 PM
done12many2

I also gained just over 3 MPH in trap.