Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Complete ECU reset

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 06:49 AM
maximumsportZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never reset my ecu, pulls strong to me.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:02 PM
MySunset350Z

the ts way is fairly easy to do. no need for a stopwatch. took me a few tries to get it right though.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Glude

Ive also used this method in my 04 maxima. Took a few trys but it finally worked.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:02 AM
neffster

Exclamation Easy 2 minute ECU Reset

Disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal for about a minute. In that minute sit in the car and press the brake pedal 4-5 times. The brake pedal should get ROCK HARD and not depress any more. Reinstall the negative cable back onto the negative terminal and reset your radio station presets.

You're done. To heck with the 13 hour BS.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:05 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neffster
Disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal for about a minute. In that minute sit in the car and press the brake pedal 4-5 times. The brake pedal should get ROCK HARD and not depress any more. Reinstall the negative cable back onto the negative terminal and reset your radio station presets.

Old 04-04-2005, 06:47 AM
uplz4588

will the "Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning)" help w/ a rough/low idle?
Old 04-04-2005, 09:10 AM
seanlaw

i just reset mine this weekend. i found the idle seemed to be pulsing after my injen exhaust worn in for a month. the cars seems to idle at a constant rpm rather than bounce around now...it's probably only a temp fix

whether i gain more power after it learns the new air flow...well that's probably not going to happen, but i heard the reset clears the cel...good for those test pipe people

i practiced a couple of times and got it to work around the fifth or sixth time
Old 04-04-2005, 09:24 AM
E_Z_HOES

Originally Posted by Billyz 212
So should i do the Technosquare ecu reset then. Looks like disconnecting the batt will cause more problems than help.

My car runs like a champ and I've disconnected my battery several times.....
Old 04-04-2005, 02:42 PM
kamz

Originally Posted by nuff
You have to do it with a stop watch, timing is critical.
I actually was able to successfully do the procedure without a stop watch. Just did a verbal count. Took a couple tries though.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:16 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the procedure isn't hard, just have to nail the timing

start out using a stop watch

after awhile you can do it by counting to yourself

For those of you happy with your power in your car and don't want to bother resetting the ECU - then don't

for the rest of us in the know and have read up on the 3 ignition timing settings the ECU has and how it tries to gradually ease you into the lowest setting so that you have better emissions, but less power, the TS reset procdedure is a great and simple way to gain back that lost power every week or two.

Don't ask a nissan dealer about how to do it. They won't know of any procedure. In fact even with their computer units they might not know how. Occasionally you might find a guy who knows how to use the big computer and might know how to figure out how to do it. But otherwise they'll not only act like you're crazy, have no idea what you're talking about, ask you why you want to reset it - to which you reply to them the 3 ignition settings info and they'll of course say "well that's the first i've ever heard about that" to which you reply "well now you know, maybe I should have your job" because they have no clue about these cars other than how to change the oil and don't want to bother to dig enough to really learn the details. OR they'll just say, hey you're messing with your ECU? that constitutes voiding your engine warrenty which of course is BS since you're NOT messing with the ECU, you're just resetting it. (only exception to all of this is if you're dealing with performance nissan in durante, CA who do know about the Z)

And yeah, a lot of times you can feel a difference. Well you really can if you drive conservativly for a few days, then reset it to get rid of the ECU learning to cope with the slow easy driving.

I just did a track day on sat with 4 20 min sessions of hard driving hanging up around redline or beyond the whole time. My car drives great right now. But now that I'm back to doing highway driving to work again, after a few days the ECU will adjust again and i'll lose power. So in a few days I'll reset it, but for now it's fine.

I've never heard about resetting the ECU hurting it or losing any power by doing it. If you somehow do lose power it's going to be negligable and possibly all in your head

the other way I've heard of getting the ECU to adjust to your new mods is do 6 full WOT to redline runs - doesn't matter which gear you're in. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but AAM says it is

Last edited by sentry65; 04-04-2005 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:59 PM
machine

I posted this just recently; it describes the exact procedure and the prerequisites TS doesn't mention.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/116529-official-ecu-reset-procedure.html
Old 04-04-2005, 06:12 PM
jkoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where did u manage to find this out...
Old 04-05-2005, 10:06 AM
neffster

Originally Posted by jkoc
where did u manage to find this out...
the link is here. If you read the last post on the last page (post #206) you'll see where Sean found it.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:08 AM
jkoc

weird
i'll give it a shot
Old 04-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Zexy

Soo....Bouncing off your rev limiter, which i suppose that has to be done according to the procedures listed, is safe for your motor?????
Old 04-05-2005, 01:48 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no, the car isn't running, but the key is turned to "ON"
Old 04-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Zexy

Oh ok
Old 04-05-2005, 01:58 PM
jkoc

no offense but lolll that would be hilarious if you made that mistake and did the ecu reset procedure with the motor running lololll
VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM
Old 04-05-2005, 02:53 PM
kamz

Originally Posted by jkoc
no offense but lolll that would be hilarious if you made that mistake and did the ecu reset procedure with the motor running lololll
VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM
+1
Old 04-05-2005, 07:34 PM
jkoc

the link is here. If you read the last post on the last page (post #206) you'll see where Sean found it.

Wow... it does work... well, at least the Radio stations are reset after this brake method........ ?? weird.

on another note... what the hek is "+1" ??? does that mean "i agree" or "me too" ?

Quick Reply: Complete ECU reset