Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

NISMO Competition Heads (I'm getting em)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 07:35 PM
ChromiumBlue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NISMO Competition Heads (I'm getting em)

I'm about to purchase the NISMO Competition Heads cuz I'm tired of waiting for someone to find another solution to breaking 300whp mark N/A. Im getting it from z1auto.com but I dont know whethere to get the stage 1 or 2. Does ne1 know how big a power or drivability diff it would make? Well anyways, with that, Im hoping to get the titanium valves and the NISMO S1 Cams. I'd like to know if this is too aggressive a set up for the street/weekend autocross. Later on, if I'm not satisfied I'll have to work with the APS Plenum, Crawford Headers/Cats, etc(N/A Mods). Please help me with deciding what to put in.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:13 PM
nuff

Default Re: NISMO Competition Heads (I'm getting em)

Originally posted by ChromiumBlue
I'm about to purchase the NISMO Competition Heads cuz I'm tired of waiting for someone to find another solution to breaking 300whp mark N/A. Im getting it from z1auto.com but I dont know whethere to get the stage 1 or 2. Does ne1 know how big a power or drivability diff it would make? Well anyways, with that, Im hoping to get the titanium valves and the NISMO S1 Cams. I'd like to know if this is too aggressive a set up for the street/weekend autocross. Later on, if I'm not satisfied I'll have to work with the APS Plenum, Crawford Headers/Cats, etc(N/A Mods). Please help me with deciding what to put in.
If you want to get the NISMO S1 Cams I would wait for Z350Lover to finish his project here in australia and see what results he gets. He also has the VTC Pulleys which should make it more streetable. He also uses Motec ECU to control it all.

As for the Nismo competition heads I would get the stage 2 since Peter P who has the stage 1 here in australia on his race car didn't get great results.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Street Visionz, Inc.
Banned

very interesting........with the competition heads doesn't it drastically raise the CR? How are you going to run this setup on pump gas? Tuning the Z is a biatch.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:06 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread may help. Also talk to Jason @ www.mynismo.com or www.performancenissanparts.com They tried to install. They are basically a race head. Here's a quote from one of the posters who's trying to get them installed.

"More clarification.
The Nismo head has 1mm smaller valve seat than the stock head & the exhaust is the same size as stock.
The VK45 inlet valve is 1mm smaller than stock & fits straight in Nismo head.
This head is not being marketed as a bolt on application for road cars but as a high flow head for race engine builders & with cam blanks for the engine builder to do with what he wants.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ht=nismo+heads
Old 01-12-2005, 03:37 AM
turbo-maxima

You live in Houston? Do you post on Houston-Imports.com?

You need headers, exhaust, intake manifold, and cams should get to 300 whp. Tha with a little tuning from a e-manage or SAFC. people like the SAFC for some reason even though it cost $200 more.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:30 AM
TheBigShow

Default Re: Re: NISMO Competition Heads (I'm getting em)

Originally posted by turbo-maxima
Tha with a little tuning from a e-manage or SAFC. people like the SAFC for some reason even though it cost $200 more.
huh?
Old 01-12-2005, 12:42 PM
axxizzer

do a before and after dyno please!
Old 01-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Zexy

I am a believer if our ECU's weren't so much POS, 300whp would be possible with all the external bolt ons.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:28 PM
ChromiumBlue

Yea I'm hearing that the heads arent really getting results, I talked to Doug through email and said he's developing heads too at Crawford. I may just wait for that. I mean 1500 bucks is a lot to blow on sumn that doenst get more than 10 whp.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:30 PM
BlueBlur

I agree the CPU is a piece of **** after you get all the Nismo Bolt on's they need a Nismo ECU for the US-Spec.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:34 PM
pimp1911

I wish one would be developed for us but Nismo said no. Simple fact the ECU on our cars is bending us over.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

as we disussed in emails, these are not a "put it on gain 100 hp mod". You need the expertise of a serious engine builder to extract the gains from these.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we didnt install them because we didnt have access to the titanum VK45 valves etc at the time.

It is all now regularly stocked items for the head kits.

You can use stock or any other cams that work with the stock heads with these...

You can get the NISMO S1 cam kit to work with these heads but will not bealbe to use the factory ECU...
Old 01-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Fwabs

Wow that site Z1auto.com has some really good prices, better than some of the prices at mynismo.com
Old 01-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use our discount code...

Z33FORUM for 10% off on NISMO Parts
Old 01-14-2005, 05:43 PM
FairladyZ

Default Re: Re: NISMO Competition Heads (I'm getting em)

Originally posted by nuff
If you want to get the NISMO S1 Cams I would wait for Z350Lover to finish his project here in australia and see what results he gets. He also has the VTC Pulleys which should make it more streetable. He also uses Motec ECU to control it all.

As for the Nismo competition heads I would get the stage 2 since Peter P who has the stage 1 here in australia on his race car didn't get great results.
I would get 2 too. Cause Jeff didnt get anything either. Also be careful that the camshaft will work with the heads in your motor. If I remeber right jeff had to do some things to the heads to make them work.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:09 PM
turbo-maxima

Default Re: Re: Re: NISMO Competition Heads (I'm getting em)

Originally posted by TheBigShow
huh?
E-manage and fuel wire is like $300. SAFC is like $450.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I would not be using either of these heads with merely an SAFC. A complete reflash done on the car with a combination of dyno and road tuning could be made to work, or some sort of programmable standalone.

An Emanage with the fuel and ignition harnesses should work in the right hands. No way I'd trust this sort of jump in compression to a something like an SAFC (since it only manipulates MAF signals, whereas the E Manage with the harnesses manipulates IPW and Ignition timing signals

SAFCII: http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model...gmt&prodid=507

EManage:http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model...gmt&prodid=491

Deciding whether to get the stage 1 or stage 2 is highly dependant on your mods. Neither one is going to "make" more hp than another...they are rather constructed to accomodate certain modifications (ie valve choice, cam choice, piston choice)

I'm personally not doing these heads, but rather having a set of heads built up by my machinist. I'll be using the F Con to control it all
Old 01-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Z350Lover

Adrian:

It seems to me that F-Con V Pro does not have the functionality of controlling our camshafts.... am I correct here? I was thinking about using F-Con V Pro before my MoTeC M600, I was just not too sure about that one... do you know anything about whether or not the F-Con can control VTCs? Thanks!

cheers mate,

richie
Old 01-15-2005, 03:05 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

to be honest I do not know yet - the F Con has all sorts of neat things it can do, but HKS USA is of little help as they themselves are really only getting their first taste of it. I'm still not even sure myself if the ecu needs to control the VTC, or if its done via mechanical means (ie oil pressure).

Given the right cam selection, you might not even need to play with cam timing at all.

Once my heads are nearing completion I'll know alot more about the setup I'll have - right now its very much out of my hands as I merely delivered a set of heads, a set of headers and a few sets of cams to my machinist with "marching orders" - telling him what I've done, what my hp is currently and what I wanted to net alongside ecu tuning...the rest I am leaving up to the experts

Quick Reply: NISMO Competition Heads (I'm getting em)