Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Less weight = more power; Have you lightened your Z?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:29 AM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who needs a rear wiper, throw some rain-x on it and that is all you need.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:35 PM
03Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on which carbon hatch you go with... some of them are built strong enough that they will be able to support the stock wiper assembly and stock glass, those are also the ones that probably aren't much lighter than stock and would be more for cosmetics than weight savings.

When I purchased my hatch, they specifically asked if I was planning on running stock glass, or even a spoiler, that's how light/thin it was made! They could make it thicker for those that plan to run a wing or stock glass but need to know ahead of time which way you want it because it will make a significant difference.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:43 PM
creationv2

Originally Posted by 03Z33
It depends on which carbon hatch you go with... some of them are built strong enough that they will be able to support the stock wiper assembly and stock glass, those are also the ones that probably aren't much lighter than stock and would be more for cosmetics than weight savings.

When I purchased my hatch, they specifically asked if I was planning on running stock glass, or even a spoiler, that's how light/thin it was made! They could make it thicker for those that plan to run a wing or stock glass but need to know ahead of time which way you want it because it will make a significant difference.
whered you get your hatch from and who makes it...i thought most cf hatches out were premade and not to special order/request?
Old 02-20-2007, 09:46 PM
03Z33

Fiberimages. They're one of the last few companies who still make everything local and have decent quality.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:51 PM
creationv2

Fiberimages. They're one of the last few companies who still make everything local and have decent quality.
ooh haha i forgot about them :-\ and yah from what i rememebr surfing the threads a while back theyre quality is pretty good
Old 02-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

What do you guys think of removing all the plastic under paneling......... I didnt remove it purposely.. Thing is Jiffy Lube is a bunch of dumb asses and forgot to tighten the underpaneling and the **** flew the **** off when I hit the highway... I looked under and bam.. Gone.. Even some of the fender well was slightly damaged..... I then went and made jiffy dumb asses pay me for the underpaneling quoted at 220 at nissan.. After chewing their asses they paid me...

Bottom line,.........has anyone removed there underpaneling? There are a bunch of underpaneling that could add up to a few pounds...

Last edited by Jay'Z; 02-26-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:24 PM
05-Z

I've already removed the rear "speaker box" and I guarantee you on the coupe it is nothing like the rear strut brace. You actually don't save much weight by removing it though, it's mostly just to clean up the look of the car and to make more room for a better roll hoop mounting location.
This sounds interesting, do you have any pics by chance? How much room?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:32 PM
spf4000

Originally Posted by jonb7007
What do you guys think of removing all the plastic under paneling......... I didnt remove it purposely.. Thing is Jiffy Lube is a bunch of dumb asses and forgot to tighten the underpaneling and the **** flew the **** off when I hit the highway... I looked under and bam.. Gone.. Even some of the fender well was slightly damaged..... I then went and made jiffy dumb asses pay me for the underpaneling quoted at 220 at nissan.. After chewing their asses they paid me...

Bottom line,.........has anyone removed there underpaneling? There are a bunch of underpaneling that could add up to a few pounds...
The plastic paneling does serve a purpose in making the car more aerodynamic, so I wouldn't remove those pieces just to save a few pounds. The most you'll be saving is 20lbs, and with the weight being at the lowest part of the car, you'll see no actual benefit from losing that weight. The chances are you'll notice the negative aerodynamic effect more than the effect of lightening the car.

It's always better to take of weight from the top of the car rather than the bottom (taking weight off the bottom of the car raises the CG of the car), and in the case of the Z, it's better to take weight out of the front of the car rather than the back. It's a lot easier to take weight off of the back of the car, but in terms of traction and weight distribution, you want to remove as much weight from the front. Personally, when I was tracking the Z, I noticed that I had less traction when I took weight off of the back, and my lap times suffered.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:05 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by spf4000
The plastic paneling does serve a purpose in making the car more aerodynamic, so I wouldn't remove those pieces just to save a few pounds. The most you'll be saving is 20lbs, and with the weight being at the lowest part of the car, you'll see no actual benefit from losing that weight. The chances are you'll notice the negative aerodynamic effect more than the effect of lightening the car.

It's always better to take of weight from the top of the car rather than the bottom (taking weight off the bottom of the car raises the CG of the car), and in the case of the Z, it's better to take weight out of the front of the car rather than the back. It's a lot easier to take weight off of the back of the car, but in terms of traction and weight distribution, you want to remove as much weight from the front. Personally, when I was tracking the Z, I noticed that I had less traction when I took weight off of the back, and my lap times suffered.

So are you telling me it would be in my best interest to re-purchase the underpaneling? Because as I posted, a mechanic novice didnt tighten up my bolts and my splash guard underneath got eaten up... I know your saying ill be more aerodynamic.. But I have read that wont matter unless im hitting upwards of 140mph.. Germany Autobahn speeds..... Oh, how i miss the autobahn!!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:57 AM
ANXIOUZ

FWIW, my underpanel was damaged and would rub when I pressed in my clutch so I removed it about 20k miles ago. While I suspect my aerodynamics might be suffering I have not had any other resulting issues with the panel off. I'd say it weighs a good 5-10 lbs for those of you curious.

For daily driving I don't see that panel being that big of a deal. It basically helps the aerodynamics, helps keep the heat from hot pavement from entering the engine bay, and it also helps keeps debris away. Important? You decide, but I'm ok with mine off. I wasn't at first but I am now. The last time my car was on a lift I checked things out and had zero damage where the panel goes. And it's been in rainy Oregon and sunny So Cal.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:39 AM
goodkd

I want to lose some weight, but the task of corner balancing is something I never thought about.

What about this:

Empty wiper fluid: -10 lbs
Get light weight battery: -20 lbs.

Total of 30 lbs out of the front end.

Remove spare and tools: -40 lbs

Total of 40 lbs out of the rear.

So, no real need to corner balance?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Mid117

Has anyone taken out the whole plastic storage sections behind the seats?

I wouldn't mind taking all that out, plus have more space for stuff in the back
Old 03-04-2007, 11:51 AM
jdmeg21

dang I was reading the begining of this thread it was back in 04', it even mentioned that someone should have come out with a carbon fiber hatch, I read that then said wtf, then looked at the date. You 350z guys are lucky, I have to take out my passanger seat, rear seats to save some weight.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Bday350z

somebody put all of the ideas into a list so we have one to look at.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:31 PM
spf4000

Originally Posted by goodkd
I want to lose some weight, but the task of corner balancing is something I never thought about.

What about this:

Empty wiper fluid: -10 lbs
Get light weight battery: -20 lbs.

Total of 30 lbs out of the front end.

Remove spare and tools: -40 lbs

Total of 40 lbs out of the rear.

So, no real need to corner balance?
Corner balance works better for side to side weight balance than front to rear. In your case, you took 30 lbs of weight off the right hand side of the car, so it might be worthwhile for you to tweak the ride height to balance weight R/L.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:18 AM
03Z33

I saw a 350Z race car this week that weighs in at only 2470 lbs. !!! This gives me a lot of motivation to keep at this, especialy since he's still running the stock windshield, fuel tank, full cage, big heavy 18" wheels and most of the stock dash.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw a 350Z race car this week that weighs in at only 2470 lbs. !!! This gives me a lot of motivation to keep at this, especialy since he's still running the stock windshield, fuel tank, full cage, big heavy 18" wheels and most of the stock dash.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:35 AM
03Z33

sorry no pics... I'm sure you'll see it around soon enough
Old 03-24-2007, 11:57 PM
zzerotwosixty

Originally Posted by reallyredZ
I think some practical stuff like:
Lighter rims
Flywheel, exhaust.
Seats could also be a biggy. Leather is pretty heavy. Some nice looking sparco or brides could save about 20 pounds each. That electric seat mechanism is pretty heavy. So you're going to lose about 60 with the seats and it still looks good and functions just as well. As for the battery... I would get a re locator kit and put it in the rear. Less weight up front and more in the back means better weight transfer. It isn't all about weight reduction, but weight transfer as well.
Don't forget to weigh the 15 to 20 feet of 0 gauge copper cables. And the box that's required by NHRA rules, and the kill switch with it's brackets and pushrod also required when moving the battery to the rear.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:58 AM
scardeal

What's the weight of stock 06/07 18" rims (not the track model ones)?

Quick Reply: Less weight = more power; Have you lightened your Z?