Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Ready for first mod....

Old 11-13-2002, 08:46 AM
DiverDown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready for first mod....

Hey folks,

I'm ready to do some minor and relatively inexpensive mods to the car. What do you recommend as something to do first that will make the most performance difference. Not that the car is already unbelievable....I just want more, more, more.

I don't really want to change the appearance, cold air intake, exhaust, audio, etc...

What have you done that made the most difference yet didn't break the bank.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2002, 11:52 AM
Moodie
Minivan Racer

Talking Earthing/Grounding Kit!

I was skeptical, but I installed mind this weekend, and man....the engine is smoother. I didn't even break in the car yet, and I already notice a difference. Some one bought a DIY kit for $40! Good luck!
Old 11-13-2002, 03:36 PM
rouxeny

Get a K&N filter. Installation takes about 2 minutes. There is no noticeable improvement in performance, but it sounds a little better and you can't get much cheaper than $40.

Then, get a DIY grounding kit, there IS a difference.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:42 PM
dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first mod this car needs is............
a real diff.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:17 PM
DiverDown

I'll show a little bit of my ignorance here.....What is a DIY grounding kit? What does it do and why does it increase performance???

Thanks
Old 11-14-2002, 01:44 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats a long and complex answer, one that Im not so sure of. basicly it grounds the engine to the frame so the electical inputs from the sensors are cleaner when they reach the ECU, so the ECU can keep the engine running smoother...

how was that? not deep into details, but can you just trust us that it works? haha

vqracer wrote the DIY plans I believe, you just need some 4 gauge wire, connectors, and the tools.

as for K&N, it seems like a waste of 40$, and I would just wait for a full short ram intake, or cold air if you choose that route. I know you said no intake... but just a comment since it doesnt void warrenty and is considered one of the simplest noninvasive mods you can do to the car, followed by exhaust/headers, ECU, and finally pullies. these are the most basic "bolt-on" mods you can do. tho there are none of these currently available that Id waste my time with, but that is my opinion of course.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:50 PM
DiverDown

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm not sure if I would be able to notice the car running smoother as I already think it's like buttah.

One more quick question... do the K&N filters make any sound/noise difference? I couldn't imagine how since they are just dropped into the existing box.

Thanks again
Old 11-14-2002, 02:25 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a more open design gives it a slightly deeper tone, with a bit more volume to match. but for the K&N this is not gonna be anything really noticable, a difference of course, but people arent gonna turn their heads cause they hear you coming. with no performance gains to show, barely noticable sound, the only benefit is the reusablility(word?) of them. however most intake kits will come with either a K&N or something similair that will be cleanable.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:46 PM
Moodie
Minivan Racer

Default I thought the same about the Grounding Kit!

Originally posted by DiverDown
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm not sure if I would be able to notice the car running smoother as I already think it's like buttah.

One more quick question... do the K&N filters make any sound/noise difference? I couldn't imagine how since they are just dropped into the existing box.

Thanks again
Then again, I did notice my foot didn't get as much vibration as well. I thought it was all mental, but even my GF said the engine feels smoother.....that could be because I keep bugging her and asking her

As for the K&N filter, it will sound a little deeper because it allows the engine to draw more air when you step on the gas. A personal preference, highly doubt there be any gains, just sound better! Hope this helps!