Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Mossy Performance Short Shifter rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 10:02 PM
ypwpat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mossy Performance Short Shifter rattle?

Just wondering for those people that installed the Mossy short shift, whether they suffer a rattle during hard acceleration on either 2nd gear and 4th gear?

Or that's normal?

Cheers

Last edited by nis350ztt; 02-25-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:11 AM
MIAPLAYA

No I do not....
Old 02-23-2005, 05:38 PM
ypwpat

ok any advice where to looks the Rattle Source? I was thinking either the Hard Black Nismo ball Gear **** that i use or the Locking mechanism on the Adjustable length. Or Something else. Any Advice?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2005, 06:57 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by ypwpat
ok any advice where to looks the Rattle Source? I was thinking either the Hard Black Nismo ball Gear **** that i use or the Locking mechanism on the Adjustable length. Or Something else. Any Advice?

Thanks
Make sure the shift cup is firmly seated all the way. Also did you notice when you got the shifter if it had two black rubber o rings around the shift cup... Either way this is 99.9% the source of the rattle. Insulate that shift cup if its already in all the way..
Old 02-24-2005, 08:32 PM
xziteme

I have the same SS and I also have the same rattle during hard accel and hard decel in 2nd and 4th gears. (sometimes in 3rd, too). I found if you place your hand on the shifter **** and apply some pressure to the front of the ****, the rattle goes away!

My SS did have the rubber O rings around the shifter cup and it was professionally installed by Performance Nissan. I took it back to Performance Nissan and they could not eliminate the rattles. Any other ideas for a fix? The rattles are starting to work on my nerves!
Old 02-25-2005, 11:48 AM
xziteme

I just spoke to Steve at Mossy and he said that if you lightened up the flywheel, you'll get more vibration to the shifter, and this will cause it to rattle. Since I have the UR flywheel and pulley set, I get some rattling! Sucks!

A possible solution would be to install an engine dampner and see if I get less rattling due to less engine vibration. Just a theory!

Anyone with other ideas?
Old 02-26-2005, 04:59 AM
company man

Originally posted by xziteme

A possible solution would be to install an engine dampner and see if I get less rattling due to less engine vibration. Just a theory!

Anyone with other ideas?
Some of the guys who have installed the evo or the rogue shifters who had rattles have installed an engine dampner and have said that it gets rid of the rattle problems. There are some on ebay and http://stillen.com/Sportscars_detail...d=55283&page=1
Old 02-26-2005, 09:48 PM
copba1t

I have the B&M and had rattles after install. The kit came with some very thin lube which became runny after heating up a bit. I replaced the lube with some heavy duty high temperature grease and packed everything good, and the rattles are virtually gone. Every now and then I get a clak but it's a million times better.