Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

UPDATE!!!!---> 295whp N/A with TS Reflash!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 02:51 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great #'s ! You could try the remaining UR underdrive pulleys for the next 5 whp, Im sure they will help. Or you could switch to the Tilton street clutch/fw set-up(very light). Im sure it would free some power up on the dyno. What were your a/f's like before and after the TS flash ? I wouldnt even bother going to a different Crawford plenum, it would be a waste imo...
Old 03-06-2005, 03:18 PM
hurahn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once again PR tuners forging ahead in performance!!! Good job man.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:30 PM
RacerZ

Awesome numbers. Makes me think twice about FI
Its too bad that you are going FI in the future, cuz I think more aggressive cams might have gotten you 300rwhp. You could also try a better flowing intake pipe or wrapping the one you have in thermal cloth or maybe those blue freezer thingies during your pulls.
The real answer would be to put the nismo head and valve train on. Kind of costly and I'm not sure if it has any issues with FI.
IMHO it's probably not worth the money to squeeze out another 5hp NA if you are goin FI anyway.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:04 PM
daytona350z

Originally posted by Javi
LOL, as soon as I realized I had 295whp I thought that same thing, where oh where could I find 5whp??????

Any suggestions???
Seriously!!!
try a tank full of 103 octane
Old 03-06-2005, 07:23 PM
zman1910

Default exhaust

Javi or anyone,

Im not interested in all the performance mods necessarily, but how can I achieve just that sound from your exhaust. Thats a mean sound. I'm getting the greddy evo2 this week but whatelse would I need that you have. Is it possible?
Old 03-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: exhaust

Originally posted by zman1910
Javi or anyone,

Im not interested in all the performance mods necessarily, but how can I achieve just that sound from your exhaust. Thats a mean sound. I'm getting the greddy evo2 this week but whatelse would I need that you have. Is it possible?
While headers do add some to that sound, I would say the biggest thing to give that car its sound would be test-pipes and the Greddy EVO II without a doubt. Just the Evo II wont even be close.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:05 PM
zman1910

What kind of test pipes is he using? does it matter which ones i get?
Old 03-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Javi

Originally posted by daytona350z
try a tank full of 103 octane
That's a very good idea, question is, witch brand and type of fuel would be better for the Z? There are tons of brands and types...
Old 03-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Javi

Default Re: Re: exhaust

Originally posted by Alberto
While headers do add some to that sound, I would say the biggest thing to give that car its sound would be test-pipes and the Greddy EVO II without a doubt. Just the Evo II wont even be close.
What he said

But keep in mind something, I DID noticed the difference in sound of the headers... not to mention the performance

BTW
Man! the sound of those extra 500rpm's are sooooo sweet!!!!
Old 03-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Javi

Originally posted by zman1910
What kind of test pipes is he using? does it matter which ones i get?
I have the ones without any resonators. Without resonators, its all the same.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A higher octane gas most likely isn't going to give you more power...unless you can tune for it. Which would require ECU reflash, do one run, and send it to get flashed again. Waste of money IMO.

http://home.pacbell.net/sfnelson/fue...ion__etc_.html

"Can higher octane fuels give me more power?
On modern engines with sophisticated engine management systems, the engine can operate efficiently on fuels of a wider range of octane rating, but there remains an optimum octane for the engine under specific driving conditions. Older cars without such systems are more restricted in their choice of fuel, as the engine can not automatically adjust to accommodate lower octane fuel. Because knock is so destructive, owners of older cars must use fuel that will not knock under the most demanding conditions they encounter, and must continue to use that fuel, even if they only occasionally require the octane.

If you are already using the proper octane fuel, you will not obtain more power from higher octane fuels. The engine will be already operating at optimum settings, and a higher octane should have no effect on the management system. Your driveability and fuel economy will remain the same. The higher octane fuel costs more, so you are just throwing money away. If you are already using a fuel with an octane rating slightly below the optimum, then using a higher octane fuel will cause the engine management system to move to the optimum settings, possibly resulting in both increased power and improved fuel economy. You may be able to change octanes between seasons (reduce octane in winter) to obtain the most cost effective fuel without loss of driveability.

Once you have identified the fuel that keeps the engine at optimum settings, there is no advantage in moving to an even higher octane fuel. The manufacturer's recommendation is conservative, so you may be able to carefully reduce the fuel octane. The penalty for getting it badly wrong, and not realizing that you have, could be expensive engine damage."
Old 03-07-2005, 12:58 PM
kosmic

Javi, maybe the 2005 lower plenum would give you that extra 5hp you're looking for:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....00#post1317200

It's worth a shot, and it's something you haven't already upgraded.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:36 PM
webcarconnection

Originally posted by Javi
I beg to differ, if I wanted to go through F/I, and NOTHING MORE, I would spend over $7000.
Let’s see:

Greddy TT with InterCooler: $5600
TS Reflash for TT $660
Installation of TT $1500

Total $7760

With that I could achieve maybe 320whp
If I wanted more power:

Greddy EVO2 Catback $1200
Test pipes $220
JWT Cams $1100
JWT Flywheel $350
Average installation of above $2000

Total $4870

You go well over 10k

I spent not more than maybe $4500

HUGE difference
* note that prices include estimated shipping costs

I agree with my brother... this is the same route I took, first all N/A and then some Turbos
BTW I put 280 whp N/A (5th) with the same mods but w/o the reflash, w/o the EVO TB and with Borla Headers... now with the Greddy in 4th and with 5.6 PSI the car make 371... I know the car can put at least 380 but the difference in temp between the two days of dyno was to much...
Old 03-07-2005, 02:27 PM
MOTOP

Great numbers, congratulations.
Can custom lightweight driveshaft free up 5whp you're looking for?
Old 03-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

No one makes a lightweight driveshaft for the Z.

The Z's is carbon wrapped or carbon fiber composite or something, pretty lightweight.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:00 PM
daytona350z

Originally posted by nis350ztt
A higher octane gas most likely isn't going to give you more power...unless you can tune for it. Which would require ECU reflash, do one run, and send it to get flashed again. Waste of money IMO.

http://home.pacbell.net/sfnelson/fue...ion__etc_.html

"Can higher octane fuels give me more power?
On modern engines with sophisticated engine management systems, the engine can operate efficiently on fuels of a wider range of octane rating, but there remains an optimum octane for the engine under specific driving conditions. Older cars without such systems are more restricted in their choice of fuel, as the engine can not automatically adjust to accommodate lower octane fuel. Because knock is so destructive, owners of older cars must use fuel that will not knock under the most demanding conditions they encounter, and must continue to use that fuel, even if they only occasionally require the octane.

If you are already using the proper octane fuel, you will not obtain more power from higher octane fuels. The engine will be already operating at optimum settings, and a higher octane should have no effect on the management system. Your driveability and fuel economy will remain the same. The higher octane fuel costs more, so you are just throwing money away. If you are already using a fuel with an octane rating slightly below the optimum, then using a higher octane fuel will cause the engine management system to move to the optimum settings, possibly resulting in both increased power and improved fuel economy. You may be able to change octanes between seasons (reduce octane in winter) to obtain the most cost effective fuel without loss of driveability.

Once you have identified the fuel that keeps the engine at optimum settings, there is no advantage in moving to an even higher octane fuel. The manufacturer's recommendation is conservative, so you may be able to carefully reduce the fuel octane. The penalty for getting it badly wrong, and not realizing that you have, could be expensive engine damage."
well, yea...but here my dyno graph from 91 octane to 100. run 6 was when i switched back to 91, run 5 was 100.
well, i guess each car reacts differntly, but yea...in theory i should have not gained any hp at all, but real worl scenario is that i did

Last edited by daytona350z; 03-07-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Those runs were done before you had your reflash. Your car's ecu was probably adversely affecting the timing with the 91 octane, which made your #'s lower.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:17 PM
daytona350z

Originally posted by Zivman
Those runs were done before you had your reflash. Your car's ecu was probably adversely affecting the timing with the 91 octane, which made your #'s lower.
actually thats the stock ecu with headers onlyno reflash yet, just wanted to see if i really did get any hp out of gas...
i am planing on ecu after i add exhaust and hi flow cats..
Old 03-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Nice!
Old 03-07-2005, 04:03 PM
daytona350z

Originally posted by nis350ztt
Nice!
thanks.
anywho, i am gonna see if i can get up to 290whp with the mods listed in this thread. the only thing dfferent is that i will get oem cats gutted. CA police actually look for cats when they think you modified your exhaust.

Quick Reply: UPDATE!!!!---> 295whp N/A with TS Reflash!