Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

UPDATE!!!!---> 295whp N/A with TS Reflash!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 09:41 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
What is so hard to believe? Cars react differently to mods, as no 2 cars are alike. I have no cams, no headers, no plenum and my last Dynojet dyno was 269 at the wheels.......so its all about how the car and dyno are reacting together on that day at that time. Comparing your dyno results to someone elses (unless you did them on the same day at the same place) is as useless as **** on a bull, but people still insist on doing it (self torture?)
I have no cams, no headers, no plenum either. I just found my JGTC dynopack results, 267 peak hp. However, after having done two prior dynos that came in at about 255 hp, I'm pretty certain that the JGTC dyno is inaccurate. From the repeat dynos that Jeff did, I'm certain he did not get 20 hp from JWT or Nismo cams. I do know that he preferred the Nismo cams. From recollection, I think the cams added a little less than 10 hp.

I believe a car that is stock and then has cams installed will see significant gains, possibly even approaching 20 hp. I believe that a modified car that already has significant intake and exhaust mods with cams added will not see as significant gains and that the 10 hp Jeff saw is expected.

I agree that comparing one dyno with someone elses dyno is as useless as **** on a bull. However, call it self-torture Adam but, when 15+ Z members do their dynos on the same day at the same shop, I think that bull just might be able to nurse a calf. Those results are more informative with respect to modifications, at least with respect to those 15 people.

Bottom line, you're right, it's all relative. If those 15+Z members did their dynos at JGTC, I bet everyone else would have had inflated numbers just like I did. One shops dyno at 250 could come in at another shop at 280. In my mind, it's all about calibration and comparison with baseline to modification.

Last edited by hfm; 03-13-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:50 AM
350Z-VDC=Bandit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

edited by scott

Last edited by 350Z-VDC=Bandit; 03-13-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Javi

Originally Posted by hfm
I have no cams, no headers, no plenum either. I just found my JGTC dynopack results, 267 peak hp. However, after having done two prior dynos that came in at about 255 hp, I'm pretty certain that the JGTC dyno is inaccurate. From the repeat dynos that Jeff did, I'm certain he did not get 20 hp from JWT or Nismo cams. I do know that he preferred the Nismo cams. From recollection, I think the cams added a little less than 10 hp.
He didn’t have the exact mods that I have or anyone has in their Z that has done at least 280whp.

Originally Posted by hfm
I believe a car that is stock and then has cams installed will see significant gains, possibly even approaching 20 hp. I believe that a modified car that already has significant intake and exhaust mods with cams added will not see as significant gains and that the 10 hp Jeff saw is expected.
I’m sorry dude, but you have it all wrong. Cams actually help you greatly if you already have modifications. Why? Because cams increase the time the valve opens making it possible for the engine to ingest more air and fuel. No matter how big your throttle is or how long your headers are, they will never manage to open more the valves like the cams do, witch are the ones responsible for the engine to get more air in and out, making more power. If you open more the valves, you will benefit more of the intake/exhaust modifications you have than if you didn’t. That is basic in a combustion engine.

Originally Posted by hfm
I agree that comparing one dyno with someone elses dyno is as useless as **** on a bull. However, call it self-torture Adam but, when 15+ Z members do their dynos on the same day at the same shop, I think that bull just might be able to nurse a calf. Those results are more informative with respect to modifications, at least with respect to those 15 people.
And is better to believe the lower numbers because?
What if the Dyno giving lower numbers is the one that needs calibration?
The day I pull the numbers, right before me was a 2003 M3 that pull 278whp, just where they are supposed to be, does that make the Dyno more accurate?

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....highlight=Dyno

Originally Posted by hfm
Bottom line, you're right, it's all relative. If those 15+Z members did their dynos at JGTC, I bet everyone else would have had inflated numbers just like I did. One shops dyno at 250 could come in at another shop at 280. In my mind, it's all about calibration and comparison with baseline to modification.
Perfect. In that case, the TS re-flash gave me an average of 15whp all the way through the power band, because I have a before and after Dyno of the TS re-flash…

Last edited by Javi; 03-13-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:28 PM
hfm

I'm stopping all posts on this thread. It's clear you've already decided that your dyno is perfectly correct and are not willing to listen to any other perspective.

Enjoy.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:03 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cams do give you more HP when you have more power.

For instance if you added cams to a 100hp car, you'd maybe get like 8hp, but if you add cams to a 500hp turbo car, you'll get like 30-40hp. It's more like a % ratio than a hard number
Old 03-14-2005, 08:12 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The amount of power and torque (and where in the rev range they are made) with any cam is highly dependant on other head mods done (porting, etc), the interaction of your plenum, cams and header (critical), and the final ecu tuning. There really is no way to quantify how much power "X" cams add to these cars without taking those other factors into consideration. This is not like and Evo, where, as an example, 80% of our customers leave the stock manifold, stock turbo, stock intercooler but run HKS 264 or 272 cams with the same engine management - we can safely say the cams add anywhere from 35-45 hp at the wheels on a so-equipped car. Things are vastly different for NA.

adam
Old 03-14-2005, 10:39 AM
350Z-VDC=Bandit

I dont know why you quit posting its an information source maybe you know something we havent thought of yet as to why his dyno is so high. but I have to agree with him if a hyundi got on it and dyno'd 600 hp i would doubt the accuracy of that dyno but an m3 got on bone stock and dyno'd where it should so that kinda ****s up the dyno off theory. Now maybe there is something that got done when the cams got put in like the head got milled or something. that would help explain it but unless something like that got lost in the bustle of changing cams I doubt it happend. but there could be something else and people like you try and keep everything honest and we appriciate that and in the end you may get to watch us eat crow.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:14 AM
hfm

Originally Posted by 350Z-VDC=Bandit
but I have to agree with him if a hyundi got on it and dyno'd 600 hp i would doubt the accuracy of that dyno but an m3 got on bone stock and dyno'd where it should so that kinda ****s up the dyno off theory.
I don't know why I can't just leave this alone.

This is what Javi said above: "The day I pull the numbers, right before me was a 2003 M3 that pull 278whp, just where they are supposed to be, does that make the Dyno more accurate?

https://my350z.com/forum/showthr...&highlight=Dyno"

You go to that site and you find a dyno from The Performance Garage:

http://www.crawfordz.com/chris/Z-Rel...StockE46M3.JPG

You look at the dyno posted by Javi and it says Sporty Dyno Jet:

https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....chmentid=66519

This makes absolutely no sense to me. If Javi is saying that the Sporty Dyno Jet is correct because a M3 dynoed there and came in with accurate numbers, it would be helpful if he posted a dyno of a stock M3 from Sporty Dyno Jet, not from The Performance Garage.

Beats me what's going on here but like Henry Lee said, "something wrong." Maybe there is some explanation for everything. Whatever.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me, 300rwhp is actually pretty feasible/easy with his mods...no big suprise to me.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:23 AM
stx

Originally Posted by hfm
I don't know why I can't just leave this alone.

This is what Javi said above: "The day I pull the numbers, right before me was a 2003 M3 that pull 278whp, just where they are supposed to be, does that make the Dyno more accurate?

https://my350z.com/forum/showthr...&highlight=Dyno"

You go to that site and you find a dyno from The Performance Garage:

http://www.crawfordz.com/chris/Z-Rel...StockE46M3.JPG

You look at the dyno posted by Javi and it says Sporty Dyno Jet:

https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....chmentid=66519

This makes absolutely no sense to me. If Javi is saying that the Sporty Dyno Jet is correct because a M3 dynoed there and came in with accurate numbers, it would be helpful if he posted a dyno of a stock M3 from Sporty Dyno Jet, not from The Performance Garage.

Beats me what's going on here but like Henry Lee said, "something wrong." Maybe there is some explanation for everything. Whatever.

I think he was just comparing the the M3's dyno from Performance Garage to the one M3 dyno he saw at Sporty Dyno Jet.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:46 AM
hfm

Originally Posted by stx
I think he was just comparing the the M3's dyno from Performance Garage to the one M3 dyno he saw at Sporty Dyno Jet.
Yeah but, different shop? Different car? That's accurate?

With all the people who have tested in So. Cal. over the past two years, I think the expected numbers from modifications are fairly well established. If it is possible for me to gain 40 hp with cams, headers, plenum and throttle body, I'd consider it. Frankly, I just don't see it. I'd expect 20 hp from the above and would be happy to see 275 hp.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:58 AM
stx

Originally Posted by hfm

With all the people who have tested in So. Cal. over the past two years, I think the expected numbers from modifications are fairly well established. If it is possible for me to gain 40 hp with cams, headers, plenum and throttle body, I'd consider it. Frankly, I just don't see it. I'd expect 20 hp from the above and would be happy to see 275 hp.

Even though the shops are different the M3's were in the same ballpark meaning the dynos are not the far off. Also the dyno is STD not SAE and don't forget he was in the 280's before the ECU.

I would be very disappointed if I only got 20 rwhp with headers, cams, TB, test pipes, exhaust. I picked up 19 rwhp just from my NISMO headers, exhaust, and JUN flywheel. I thought it wasn't right either because very few people were getting those kind of numbers with that combination of mods. When I went to the dragstip and I trapped 104+ mph I new the dyno was correct.

Last edited by stx; 03-14-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

All right guys. I am running very similar mods to Javi. I don't have the clutch/flywheel or cams, but I do have:
Topspeed Headers
Resonated Test Pipes
Greddy Evo2 Exhaust
UR crank Pulley
Injen Intake
Proflow Bored Throttle body
Crawford Cast plenum

I might even try to get my hands on one of the 300 hp Z's lower plenums - still debating, so if anyone has thoughts , let's hear them.

My car goes on the dyno the 26th. I am expecting anywhere from 260-275 RWHP. Then depending on the A/F ratios, I plan on getting the TS reflash or possible an SAFC to tune the A/F ratios. With the larger throttlebody and plenum paired with a less restrictive exhaust (IE: stock cats removed) I think the cams could easily make up the 20-25 RWHP, especially if you adding tuning into the mix.

These are just my thoughts and all the critism about Javi's dynos trouble me. Some cars make more power than others and paired with a certain dyno under certain conditions anything is possible.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by hfm

Why do people in Cali always dyno lower?...seems to me there is something in the air...
Old 03-14-2005, 12:30 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
Why do people in Cali always dyno lower?...seems to me there is something in the air...

91 octane fuel - I can get 93 here. the ECU will adjust timing based on the octane in the fuel.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by Zivman
91 octane fuel - I can get 93 here. the ECU will adjust timing based on the octane in the fuel.
Yeah, I realize that. But is 2 octane rating difference going to account for a loss of ~10rwhp or more due to difference in ignition timing? I wouldn't think so...
Old 03-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Zzzow!

Originally Posted by Zivman
All right guys. I am running very similar mods to Javi. I don't have the clutch/flywheel or cams, but I do have:
Topspeed Headers
Resonated Test Pipes
Greddy Evo2 Exhaust
UR crank Pulley
Injen Intake
Proflow Bored Throttle body
Crawford Cast plenum

I might even try to get my hands on one of the 300 hp Z's lower plenums - still debating, so if anyone has thoughts , let's hear them.

My car goes on the dyno the 26th. I am expecting anywhere from 260-275 RWHP. Then depending on the A/F ratios, I plan on getting the TS reflash or possible an SAFC to tune the A/F ratios. With the larger throttlebody and plenum paired with a less restrictive exhaust (IE: stock cats removed) I think the cams could easily make up the 20-25 RWHP, especially if you adding tuning into the mix.

These are just my thoughts and all the critism about Javi's dynos trouble me. Some cars make more power than others and paired with a certain dyno under certain conditions anything is possible.

I see you're in the Twin Cities, where are you going to dyno? I've dynoed at Elite in the fall and plan to do the same soon when I get a TS flash and I get my resonated test pipes and exhaust put on. Maybe there can be a comparison then. I dynoed with the Kinetix v4 Plenum, Nismo CAI, Pulley Kit, 350evo TB, JIC y-pipe and I pulled a 248 HP SAE corrected and 237 lb-ft. My A-F ratio was in the 13-14's.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Javi

Here in PR we have 5 different Dynos, including an AWD dyno (pretty cool)
I called one of them to see if I could do just one pull, and see once and for all what was my car pulling. Just whp, nothing else (it would cost more) Here is the result...
After this, I don't think there is anything more to say...
Attached Thumbnails UPDATE!!!!---> 295whp N/A with TS Reflash!-295.jpg  
Old 03-14-2005, 01:02 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by Javi
After this, I don't think there is anything more to say...
That will do it for me. I'm convinced. Congrats and thanks for taking the time and money to get another dyno.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by Zzzow!
I see you're in the Twin Cities, where are you going to dyno? I've dynoed at Elite in the fall and plan to do the same soon when I get a TS flash and I get my resonated test pipes and exhaust put on. Maybe there can be a comparison then. I dynoed with the Kinetix v4 Plenum, Nismo CAI, Pulley Kit, 350evo TB, JIC y-pipe and I pulled a 248 HP SAE corrected and 237 lb-ft. My A-F ratio was in the 13-14's.
You have PM

looking at your mods and numbers, I am hoping the addition of the headers and mainly the testpipes will put me in the 260's. Hopefully the increased exhaust flow will pair nicely with the increase flow on the intake side and present some good numbers - or at least I am hoping.

As far as your A/F ratios, you look like you might be running a tad lean if you were in the 14's. That said, with the addition of the testpipes and exhaust, you will more than likely be running a bit leaner than those numbers. The TS reflash, or atleast an SAFC to get the A/F ratios down to the mid to low 13's looks like it will be needed. As the car richens up from the lean condition, you might actually be giving up some HP.

Quick Reply: UPDATE!!!!---> 295whp N/A with TS Reflash!