Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

UPDATE!!!!---> 295whp N/A with TS Reflash!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Javi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by daytona350z
thanks.
anywho, i am gonna see if i can get up to 290whp with the mods listed in this thread. the only thing dfferent is that i will get oem cats gutted. CA police actually look for cats when they think you modified your exhaust.
If your Z is 2004 like mine, maybe you will get an SES light, go to:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=113058

Thats how I got rid of them...
It worked for me
Old 03-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Javi

Originally posted by kosmic
Javi, maybe the 2005 lower plenum would give you that extra 5hp you're looking for:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....00#post1317200

It's worth a shot, and it's something you haven't already upgraded.
I subscribed to the thread, lets see if they get some pony's with that.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:13 AM
FairladyZ

Nice numbers! How much to install everything? Oh and what is/was your air fuel ratio during the dyno?
Old 03-12-2005, 07:43 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm such a stick in the mud. Great numbers but, I can't figure out how you got 295 rwhp with your set up. Better than my set up, you've got cams, headers, plenum and throttle body. The highest dyno I received was about 269 hp on a wheel mounted dyno at JGTC. Drum dynojets I've run on in the past would show about 255 hp. I just don't see 26-40 from C, H, P, TB. It's just not consistant with multiple dynos done in California by multiple Z owners.

The dyno you posted is funky, showing mph instead of rpm. I understand it was STD and not SAE corrected and that you don't have a baseline. The dyno doesn't show torque. It doesn't have a/f - is this the same dyno you went to before where the a/f was broken? And, I don't understand how shut down took place at 140 mph on one run at 155mph on another.

I hope I'm mistaken but, I think that's one quirky dyno where you're not getting true results. You don't happen to have a dyno from another dyno place?

At any rate, please don't consider this post a dig. It's just an observation from someone who spent quite a bit of time watching Z dynos over the past couple of years. Whatever the case maybe, you've got a very nice set up and I'm sure that your Z is producing great power.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:09 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

best bet is wya Ziv said - a CAI wont give you 5 hp on a dyno IMHO. On the road maybe. Get some ice, place it on the plenum and intake track once the car warms up and you might see 5 hp. Or if there is any way to flash the car ON the dyno, you might pick up some ponies there as well, but overall, for a mail in flash, you are doing well

adam
Old 03-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by hfm
I'm such a stick in the mud. Great numbers but, I can't figure out how you got 295 rwhp with your set up. Better than my set up, you've got cams, headers, plenum and throttle body. The highest dyno I received was about 269 hp on a wheel mounted dyno at JGTC. Drum dynojets I've run on in the past would show about 255 hp. I just don't see 26-40 from C, H, P, TB. It's just not consistant with multiple dynos done in California by multiple Z owners.

The dyno you posted is funky, showing mph instead of rpm. I understand it was STD and not SAE corrected and that you don't have a baseline. The dyno doesn't show torque. It doesn't have a/f - is this the same dyno you went to before where the a/f was broken? And, I don't understand how shut down took place at 140 mph on one run at 155mph on another.

I hope I'm mistaken but, I think that's one quirky dyno where you're not getting true results. You don't happen to have a dyno from another dyno place?

At any rate, please don't consider this post a dig. It's just an observation from someone who spent quite a bit of time watching Z dynos over the past couple of years. Whatever the case maybe, you've got a very nice set up and I'm sure that your Z is producing great power.
Isn't he in puerto rico? i wonder what the clean air laws are in pr. i bet non-existent. i believe the guys who are getting very high numbers are from regions where the emissions laws are very lax, and therefore their ecus are programmed more aggressively and mod-friendly, but i could be wrong.

Last edited by Z BOY; 03-12-2005 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Javi

Originally Posted by hfm
You’ve been here awhile and you don’t now yet that JWT Cams alone can give you up to 20WHP… do a search, and a little math, you will see.

Originally Posted by hfm
Anyone who has dynoed his car on a DynoJet, knows that if you choose the graph to show WHP ALONE, it will use MPH instead of RPM’s. A/F didn’t worked as I said, previously. The difference in MPH is that, like in the TITLE says, the Technosquare Re-Flash. Witch means that the ECU now, instead of cutting off at 6600 RPM’s it does at 7100 RPM’s, thus making the 5th gear achieving 155 MPH instead of 140 MPH…

Originally Posted by hfm
Sure, just send me the fee of the dyno, and I’ll go to all the Dynos you want…

Originally Posted by hfm
I'm sure you have, maybe you missed all the Dynos from NISMO cams, JWT cams, and TOMEI cams, that other members did and couldn't study their improvements… I now my car is doing great numbers, I'm not here to show off. From all the information gathered here at this forum, from other members who contributed their experiences, is that I achieved this numbers. I’m doing as others have done, sharing my gains with others who want to know.

BTW, we have here at PR, 93 octane fuel, not like the 91 CA has… Maybe that’s it???
Old 03-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Javi

Originally Posted by Z BOY
Isn't he in puerto rico? i wonder what the clean air laws are in pr. i bet non-existent. i believe the guys who are getting very high numbers are from regions where the emissions laws are very lax, and therefore their ecus are programmed more aggressively and mod-friendly, but i could be wrong.
Nope, same Federal Law's and Regulations. If the ECU where different from the US then TS couldn't had it re-flashed.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:30 PM
Z BOY

i believe the laws vary from state to state here in the u.s.(which includes pr). its not a federal thing.
i'm boricua, too.

Last edited by Z BOY; 03-12-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:18 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by Javi
You’ve been here awhile and you don’t now yet that JWT Cams alone can give you up to 20WHP… do a search, and a little math, you will see.
Jeff@Performance Nissan had virtually every normally aspirated mod short of a stroker kit and I don't recall him breaking 270 rwhp. And, that's after testing both the JWT cams and Nismo cams.

Just like Richard350Z and the other Z owner who dynoed at Mossy and produced 300+ rwhp, I don't think this dyno is an accurate result. That was later confirmed with Richard when he did another run and got somewhere in the 270-275 neighborhood.

Anyways, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. If you're satisfied with the dyno, that's all that matters.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:03 AM
350z4steve

Originally Posted by hfm
Jeff@Performance Nissan had virtually every normally aspirated mod short of a stroker kit and I don't recall him breaking 270 rwhp. And, that's after testing both the JWT cams and Nismo cams.

Just like Richard350Z and the other Z owner who dynoed at Mossy and produced 300+ rwhp, I don't think this dyno is an accurate result. That was later confirmed with Richard when he did another run and got somewhere in the 270-275 neighborhood.

Anyways, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. If you're satisfied with the dyno, that's all that matters.
I dont believe Jeff had the plenum or throttle body nor was he using 93 octane fuel. So its not an apples to apples comparison.Also the JWT cams make slighly more power on the highend than nismo. So if you take those things under consideration also outside temp may factor its not inconceivable that he is getting the extra 20HP for all those factors alone. The cams add alot which I can vouch for on mine..
Old 03-13-2005, 12:58 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jeff also had his heads port and polished and his ECU custom tuned by technosquare themselves on a dyno

the plenum I'm sure helps a little, the throttle body might help a tad too, but I don't think they'll make a HUGE difference - not enough to justify 20hp IMO - maybe if it was a FI setup.

My car pulls 270hp/240tq SAE on 91octane here in AZ

compared to this dyno I have

crawford headers vs nismo - maybe 3-6hp difference?
crawford V5 vs V1 plenum - probably not much HP difference
Denso Iridium 1 step colder plugs - I might be lose 1-3hp with 1 step colder?
crawford cats vs test pipes - probably losing 3-4hp compared to the test pipes
greddy vs nismo exhaust - draw? not sure the hp differences

other things on my car that might not be detectable on the dyno:
tilton clutch/flywheel
3.91 final drive

Of course, maybe me A/F isn't perfect, maybe my engine isn't as strong somehow, could be the random misfire my ECU is reporting every 2 hours of driving. Maybe the altitude/air density/humidity/temp here isn't the same, and maybe the dyno is not quite the same - was a dynojet, who knows

I'm not really saying yay or nay or anything, just that there's been lots of people with exceptionally high dyno numbers - like 20-25hp higher than everyone else. Considering how hard it is to make NA power on the Z with bolt on's it seems a bit suspicious doesn't it?
Old 03-13-2005, 02:42 AM
FairladyZ

sentry, I think I saw your dyno and your A/F was perfect. So I would like to see his A/F before I comment. I am thinking he could be on the very lean side and has a lot of timing adavnce.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:06 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mmmm well it's not really that great A/F - here's my last dyno
Attached Thumbnails UPDATE!!!!---> 295whp N/A with TS Reflash!-graph2.gif  

Last edited by sentry65; 03-13-2005 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:31 AM
Javi

Originally Posted by hfm

JWT cams:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=59056

Last edited by Javi; 03-13-2005 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:46 AM
Javi

Originally Posted by Z BOY
i believe the laws vary from state to state here in the u.s.(which includes pr). its not a federal thing.
i'm boricua, too.
Boricua, tu sabes que aqui hacen la prueba de los cataliticos, le meten el tubito por el muffler y si no pasa, no te dan el certificado de inspeccion, asi que no te dan el marbete. Todos los carros que llegan aqui son de Estados Unidos, por lo tanto, todas las leyes federales que regulan el smog aplican. Lo que hacen los estados como CA es que restringen aun mas lo que la ley federal pone como base.

Here in PR we have the smog test as in the US, if you don't pass, you can't drive your car on the streets. All vehicles we have here come from the US, thus all cars that come here are US spec. Every State can regulate even more the smog tolerances that the federal laws already have, like CA.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:13 AM
Javi

Originally Posted by hfm

NISMO:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ght=Nismo+cams
Old 03-13-2005, 07:25 AM
Javi

Originally Posted by sentry65
jeff also had his heads port and polished and his ECU custom tuned by technosquare themselves on a dyno

the plenum I'm sure helps a little, the throttle body might help a tad too, but I don't think they'll make a HUGE difference - not enough to justify 20hp IMO - maybe if it was a FI setup.

My car pulls 270hp/240tq SAE on 91octane here in AZ

compared to this dyno I have

crawford headers vs nismo - maybe 3-6hp difference?
crawford V5 vs V1 plenum - probably not much HP difference
Denso Iridium 1 step colder plugs - I might be lose 1-3hp with 1 step colder?
crawford cats vs test pipes - probably losing 3-4hp compared to the test pipes
greddy vs nismo exhaust - draw? not sure the hp differences

other things on my car that might not be detectable on the dyno:
tilton clutch/flywheel
3.91 final drive

Of course, maybe me A/F isn't perfect, maybe my engine isn't as strong somehow, could be the random misfire my ECU is reporting every 2 hours of driving. Maybe the altitude/air density/humidity/temp here isn't the same, and maybe the dyno is not quite the same - was a dynojet, who knows

I'm not really saying yay or nay or anything, just that there's been lots of people with exceptionally high dyno numbers - like 20-25hp higher than everyone else. Considering how hard it is to make NA power on the Z with bolt on's it seems a bit suspicious doesn't it?
Just with the altitude, temp, etc. and the octane there is a LOT of difference. Not to mention that not all engines are the same. Through the years in this forum you can see that not all cars react the same, at identical modifications. There are always differences. Here in PR I know of 3 VQ engines that with the JWT cams improved in the dyno at least 20whp. Two 350Z's and one G35.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:36 AM
350Z-VDC=Bandit

Not sure but is there an H or X pipe on the evo2 exaust? that is normaly good for 8-10 on a V8 so maybe expect 5-8? just a thought. Another thing if you know someone with a dremel tool match all your openings....like the junction between tb and upper manifold and just make sure the upper and lower manifolds dont have any gasket showin that could obstruct air flow.

Great numbers and these are just some ideas on gettin to 300+. one more thing because you dont have a baseline some people may be kinda weird about you making 295...but lets not forget that some stock Z's have dynoed 250+ so maybe he got a wed. car.

Late,
Scott
Old 03-13-2005, 09:13 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is so hard to believe? Cars react differently to mods, as no 2 cars are alike. I have no cams, no headers, no plenum and my last Dynojet dyno was 269 at the wheels.......so its all about how the car and dyno are reacting together on that day at that time. Comparing your dyno results to someone elses (unless you did them on the same day at the same place) is as useless as **** on a bull, but people still insist on doing it (self torture?)

There really is nothing "aggressive" that could be done to the ecu to affect emissions...if anything, a richer car will fail emissions sooner than a leaner one.

Quick Reply: UPDATE!!!!---> 295whp N/A with TS Reflash!