Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

engine damper kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 09:21 PM
copba1t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamblin
Close on the first one: Kinetix said the Y brace was there to add extra support for the heavy-*** factory cat's, and since the hi-flows are lighter weight it's not really needed.

On the second statement, I do have a Nismo cat-back (maybe not truly aftermarket, but not the original).
Well I dunno, the manifolds probably hold most of the weight of the cats no problem, they are connected directly to the engine and are very sturdy. That is why I suspect the brace is there more to counter the weight of the ypipe as the car bounces around putting additional pressure on the back end of the cats.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:55 PM
Shamblin

Originally Posted by copba1t
Well I dunno, the manifolds probably hold most of the weight of the cats no problem, they are connected directly to the engine and are very sturdy. That is why I suspect the brace is there more to counter the weight of the ypipe as the car bounces around putting additional pressure on the back end of the cats.
Most of the issue seems to be in the soft engine mounts causing the motor & manifold & cat's & tranny to twist as a unit, as the guy who makes the Kinetix cat's was saying. Makes sense, for they're all bolted together.

Therefore when you consider how much heavier the stock cat's are and that they would need add'l support not only due to their static weight but also because they are on the end of a "chain" that starts with the motor, then goes to the manifolds, then the cat's, so it's a bit like waiving a stick around in the air and then attaching a weight to the end of that stick and suddenly you've got a problem . . .

(Kinetix cat's being lighter don't need that add'l support & bracing to counter that "chain" effect which is a much more serious problem with the heavy-*** OEM cat's.)

Last edited by Shamblin; 03-29-2005 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:14 AM
copba1t

Well in any case, the bracket is off my car and there is no way in hell I'm marking up my pretty Helix cats to weld it back on, so it stays off
Old 03-30-2005, 12:22 AM
Shamblin

Originally Posted by copba1t
Well in any case, the bracket is off my car and there is no way in hell I'm marking up my pretty Helix cats to weld it back on, so it stays off
And so it should!

If you've got lightweight cat's you can (as I'm told) forego the Y brace and it's engine-vibration-transmitting problem. I can't believe Nissan let this one go like this. I mean, I understand the need to support the heavy stock cat's, but why not put rubber iso-mounts on the Y brace to absorb the intense vibrations? Seems so stupid to me to put soft rubber motor mounts in to reduce cabin vibrations and then transfer that all to the shifter! But what do I know!
Sounds like a "wimp out" situation to me.
I do know this . . . So nice to say goodbye to the shifter vibration-like-a-jackhammer problem!

The Stillen engine vibration dampener, while not helping much with the shifter vibration problems, should still buffer the engine/mainfold/cat's-&-transmission twisting problem.

Last edited by Shamblin; 03-30-2005 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:58 AM
copba1t

Originally Posted by Shamblin
The Stillen engine vibration dampener, while not helping much with the shifter vibration problems, should still buffer the engine/mainfold/cat's-&-transmission twisting problem.
Yep, that is what I have found. I have not noticed much reduction in shifter vibration but it is definitely helping to keep things from moving around quite so much.