Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

modified stock brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 04:37 PM
brew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modified stock brakes

can the stock rotors be slotted? Im pretty sure i saw a post in the classifieds with stock rotors being drilled but i think that slotted is better.....no cracking. Im interested in both track models and the others.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:41 PM
^Tyr

you usually dont want to mill or drill stock brakes. brakes that are to be drilled or milled have a differnt type of metal (or maybe the way the metal is forged or somethign) either way. drilliing or slotting stock rotors will only cause you problems unless you went thru all the cryo proceessses etc. by time your done you'd spent more money than to buy aftermarket stock sized rotors in the first place...

you'll have stress fractures and stuff and personally when it comes to my brakes, i rather have them complete
Old 11-26-2002, 09:42 PM
valuetl

Endless has a 4 pot and 6 pot kit with sloted rotors for the Z but it is pretty expensive.
Old 11-30-2002, 12:25 PM
brew

but when i get the track model it will already have brembo brakes on it. So couldn't I drill/slot those since they are brembo's or are they sill considered stock brakes and that would ruin them?
Old 11-30-2002, 03:07 PM
^Tyr

they were not cast with slots nor crossdrilling.. so no... you have to remember they they treat rotors to handle high temp situations, doing such realigns the chemical bonds inside(i'm no chemist ) but anyways, thats how it makes the metal harder and able to resist such things.

you do not want to modify your stock brakes. (even if thier brembo)

rotors themselves are not that expensive especially considering its part of your brake system (you know the things that keep you from running into cars walls buildings etc.)