Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Lightweight Flywheel Q

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 07:00 PM
infidsg35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightweight Flywheel Q

Hey I used to have a JUN lightweight flywheel. Its clattered and vibrated so much I had to take it out! Now that I have the stock one back in the car runs sooo much quieter and smoother. On the downside I feel the power diffrence.. The car feels much heavier and it takes a lot longer to get throught the RPM's.... I HATE IT!!!

Now my question is, is there another flywheel that doesnt clatter or vibrate as much? I REALY miss the performance increase it gave.. I need to put another one in A.S.A.P! Please post what flywheel and what you experiance..

Ex: I had a JUN. The car would vibrate and clatter up to 2500k RPM's and would clatter at idle.. Something like that..

Thanx in advance!!
Old 05-11-2005, 07:05 PM
DayBlueZ

OOPS, wasn't reading well.

Last edited by DayBlueZ; 05-11-2005 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:10 PM
infidsg35

How is the flywheel? What are the characteristics?
Old 05-11-2005, 07:16 PM
Z CRUZN

Originally Posted by infidsg35
Hey I used to have a JUN lightweight flywheel. Its clattered and vibrated so much I had to take it out! Now that I have the stock one back in the car runs sooo much quieter and smoother. On the downside I feel the power diffrence.. The car feels much heavier and it takes a lot longer to get throught the RPM's.... I HATE IT!!!

Now my question is, is there another flywheel that doesnt clatter or vibrate as much? I REALY miss the performance increase it gave.. I need to put another one in A.S.A.P! Please post what flywheel and what you experiance..

Ex: I had a JUN. The car would vibrate and clatter up to 2500k RPM's and would clatter at idle.. Something like that..

Thanx in advance!!
Unfortunately, most all lightweight flywheels are going to have the "cement-mixer" sound below 2k rpm & at idle with the clutch released. As the car warms up, the more noticeable the sound. And to make it even more complicated, it varies from Z to Z - 2 Z's could have the same flywheel & the sound on one will be more noticeable than the other. I have the JWT clutch & flywheel, have heard the JWT on several others and they all have different degrees of "noise." And the lighter the flywheel, the more noise..... For me, the minimal noise heard with the JWT makes it a no-brainer - the slight increase in rotational sound is more than made up in the performance difference - for me. I'm sure, however, that what is acceptable in noise for one person is objectional for another.

BTW - Here's a thread I posted when I did the JWT clutch & flywheel - if it makes any difference........ http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/s...lywheel+clutch
Old 05-11-2005, 07:23 PM
infidsg35

I do realize that all lightweight flywheels will make noise.. But im looking for a happy medium.. Maybe the Nismo is my answer.. Its only a 8 LBS loss.. I dunno I just something a little less noisy.. Im going to read that thread thanx..

Keep the info commin guyz! Thanx again!
Old 05-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Z CRUZN

Originally Posted by infidsg35
I do realize that all lightweight flywheels will make noise.. But im looking for a happy medium.. Maybe the Nismo is my answer.. Its only a 8 LBS loss.. I dunno I just something a little less noisy.. Im going to read that thread thanx..

Keep the info commin guyz! Thanx again!
That's the funny thing about these lightweight flywheels.........some are gonna say "What noise?" & some will complain about noise - it's so darn subjective in trying to describe, you know? Even some with the heavier Nismo flywheel have complained about noise, while others say no biggie. I made my decision without the benefit of being able to hear one in person, so I just crossed my fingers and got lucky. In a perfect world, it'd be great to hear these things in person before deciding. But even with that, it's gonna vary from car to car. Oh well...best of luck in your decision-making process!!
Old 05-11-2005, 07:45 PM
lovetoclown

I have the JWT clutch and flywheel. No noise for me.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:50 PM
infidsg35

you have no noise or vibrations under 2500k? I would love that..

When I had the JUN in the car would actually vibrate when I hit the gas under 2k... It was soooo bad...
Old 05-11-2005, 08:05 PM
JeffesonM

how about the 3.9 final drive instead? equivalent, if not better, gains, without the noise.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:14 PM
infidsg35

Not sure... Never thought of it realy... The gains arent the same tho.. Yes they both get the RPM's up faster.. But the lightweight flywheel has much less weight to move. OEM uses more HP in order to turn it = Less HP to the wheels. So with the flywheel you can free up 7+ HP.. The final doesnt.. It just gets you into you peak power much faster. I plan on getting both but the 3.9 much later on...

Please lets not change the subject. There is already a 3.9 thread going.. Thanx
Old 05-12-2005, 02:42 AM
Machupo

what noise?
Old 05-12-2005, 04:08 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Tilton and all I did was have the idle bumped up and it made a world of difference in the sound and driveability. I was going to pull it, now I rarely think about it. Its much quieter at idle. Still get the noise below 2500 rpms upon acceleration. But there's no way to get rid of that I think.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:29 AM
Machupo

Originally Posted by zillinois
I have the Tilton and all I did was have the idle bumped up and it made a world of difference in the sound and driveability. I was going to pull it, now I rarely think about it. Its much quieter at idle. Still get the noise below 2500 rpms upon acceleration. But there's no way to get rid of that I think.
that's just the fate of single-mass / unsprung parts unfortunately...

i'll try the idle bump and see if that helps (currently idling around 600rpm)
Old 05-12-2005, 04:42 AM
Barzten1

Are you gunna sell it?
Old 05-12-2005, 06:05 AM
jpc350z

If you have a problem with sounds wait till you put on the Vortech it will drown out the sound you now hear..
Old 05-12-2005, 06:22 AM
Barzten1

True that^^^!
Old 05-12-2005, 06:32 AM
Jaki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the JWT Flywheel and Clutch combo. I don't hear any noise unless I turn of the music, its really quiet around me, rolld down my windows, and stick my head out the window and go below 2K rpm, and even then its something you can barely hear... you can hear the engine working more than u can hear the "cement mixer"

I have heard of a few people that did complain about the noise of the JWT Flywheel, but most people say they don't hear it or its so small that its unoticeable.
If you do a search for JWT Flywheel on here, you will find some more reviews and other info.

Hope this helps.

Jaki
Old 05-12-2005, 08:30 AM
infidsg35

Now that i think about it the JUN flywheel by itself wasnt that that bad.. It had the cement mixer thing.. (I was the one to call it that lol) But when I installed the Nismo clutch the sound got much louder and the whole car would vibrate under 2k.. After 2500K the car ran fine.. With no noise.. I found myself shifting at like 3250 RPMS all the time just to avoid the noise and vibration.. Maybe there was something wrong with the combo...

I noticed there is a lot more flywheels out there now other then JWT and JUN.. How are they? Basically I just want to get a new flywheel clutch combo that sounds a lil better then what I had.. I can deal with a lil noise but what I had was insane..

What clutch are you guys using with the JWT FW?

Ohh yea I will be selling the JUN.. There is NOTHING wrong with it except the noise!
Old 05-13-2005, 09:00 AM
TheBigShow

blah; this continues to b one of the toughest mods to decide on .
Old 05-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Machupo

*Shameless plug*

well, thebigshow, if you're still looking, i've got a tilton fw & clutch w/ 7.5k miles on them and an additional brand new tilton full street clutch pack for sale $1000 + shipping (also includes ARP flywheel bolts and the tilton throwout bearing adapter)

can't decide whether the tilton or the rear end was my favorite mod, both completely changed the character of the car!

Quick Reply: Lightweight Flywheel Q