Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

joining the 600rwhp club

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 10:03 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default joining the 600rwhp club

doing a built motor in the Z and adding a tt greddy set up. am doing the entire project myself (except machining) including putting the motor together. have done many hp motors so it shouldn't be bad. am taking about a month off work so the project should go pretty quick as i already have nearly everything i need and can work constantly on it.
anybody have any advice of where a problem area might be i would run into?
Old 05-17-2005, 10:05 PM
nitrousoxidex

good luck man, wanna see some dynos and pics later.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Rayden2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by overZealous1
doing a built motor in the Z and adding a tt greddy set up. am doing the entire project myself (except machining) including putting the motor together. have done many hp motors so it shouldn't be bad. am taking about a month off work so the project should go pretty quick as i already have nearly everything i need and can work constantly on it.
Yeah, one problem you're gonna have is all that time and a case of beer by your side while doing the build. J/K Goodluck and post some pics as you go. What internals did you go with?
Old 05-18-2005, 08:55 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by overZealous1
Headgasket integrity at that hp level is an unknown quantity. I beleive Cometic makes some good ones though
Old 05-19-2005, 09:56 AM
Jaki

Impressive that you're doing it yourself. Do you own a shop or do you just have a big garage with all the neccessary tools and machines?

Keep us posted and take lots of pics of the progress!
Old 05-22-2005, 02:19 PM
overZealous1

i have been playing with cars every since i was 15 (i'm 32 now) and have done many engine builds, all being high hp ones and never lost a motor cause of my mistakes. i rent a shop to keep my cars and give me a place to work on them (yes my sickness is bad!) and have accumulated a ton of automotive tools. most of my experience is with domestic v8's though so this will be the first import (wait i did a 928 porsche motor too) i'm hoping to switch to building custom choppers and some car modifying and get out of my current job which i am just a little bored with.
i'm one day into the Z project so far and motor was ready to pull in 4 hours with stripping off most all exterior components and front end. taking block to machine shop on wednesday if my pistons, rods and other goodies come on tues. i am taking about a month off from work so i will have plenty of time to do all the work. will be completeing the emanage/profec e-01 install and return fuel system (building my own) and porting the heads and port matching while the machine shop is doing the machining. hoping to fire it with in 2 weeks but i'll see how that goes. most initial tuning will happen in my shop, so i can then drive it to a dyno tuner for fine adjustments.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:23 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by Rayden2001
Yeah, one problem you're gonna have is all that time and a case of beer by your side while doing the build. J/K Goodluck and post some pics as you go. What internals did you go with?
i try to stay away from heavy drinkin during the tear down faze. i tend to forget where everything goes, hahahah. i went with a set of pauter rods, 8.6-1 arias pistons, arp head and main studs, and just got a set of nismo r-tune cams with a greddy tt for boost. most of the rest is going to be stock but might hack the intake abit to get better flow to the neglected runners.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:32 PM
UnderPressure

Looks like you've got a good game plan, good luck w/ it.

Cams are going to be a place where good gains are going to be had. The stock cams suck monkey ***** for higher rpm power delivery.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Rayden2001

Originally Posted by UnderPressure
Looks like you've got a good game plan, good luck w/ it.

Cams are going to be a place where good gains are going to be had. The stock cams suck monkey ***** for higher rpm power delivery.
Ain't that the truth.