Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Nismo Camshaft install and Idle Issues: Answered

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismo Camshaft install and Idle Issues: Answered

Hello all. I wanted to post on here about my recent Nismo cam install on my 350Z. I have gotten quite a few questions and comments from customers regarding possible idle issues with cams in general on the Z, so I hope this can shed some light on the subject for many of them.

My 350Z is an early model 2004 production date. We were able to adjust the base idle with the Consult tool, however, with my extensive mods, it didn't do enough. My particular car has headers, straight pipes, straight out JIC single exit exhaust with no resonator, pulleys, Tilton, and 05 track plenum. As it is, prior to the cam install, the car's idle was struggling. It would idle around 600-700 rpms, which is ok, but the problem is when you are driving, or revving the motor, and the RPMs drop back down, they would drop low and pop back up. When we put the cams in, due to all my mods, especially the tilton/pulley combo, and no backpressure in the exhaust, the car would drop rpms very fast after being revved, or coming to a stop when in neutral, and it wouldjust stall. The ecu couldn't keep up no matter how much we played with the timing and idle settings with the Consult. Then one of my customers tipped me off to the JWT trick, regarding splicing and T-ing off some vacuum lines to help the car's idle via more vacuum. here is a pic of the diagram:

Basically, what you are doing is splicing into the vacuum hose off the intake pipe/tube, and teeing it into the vacuum line off of the plenum by the Throttle body. This allows more vacuum to the motor, and as such helps stabalize the idle in cases like mine, where the ECU just couldn't keep up.

Now the relevence of this mod.....
In situations like mine, where you need help stabalizing the idle after revving, or comiing to a stop in neutral etc... This mod helped tremendously. There are no ill side effects of this mod, but you should only try it if you need it. With my cams in the car, and with this mod, my car idles great and doesn't stall whatsoever. So if you have a later year 350Z or G, and you don't want to do cams because you can't play with the base idle on your ecu, you can just perform this mod, and you should be able to run the cams with no idle issues.

The diagram shows the parts and sizes needed, so in essence this can be a do-it-yourself type of deal, however, when it came to my car, I decided against using plastic parts, and drilling/tapping into the plastic connectors since there is a good chance doing that would leak down the road. I opted to use full brass connectors for longevity, and reliability. WE will be offering a kit for this mod on our site soon for sale.

BAsically, with all my mods, and then the cams, my car's idle wasn't the best, and it would stall when the rpms dropped, all the time. Now with this mod, my car runs great. No issues.

Just a quick heads up for you all, as this can be attributed and used on the car in many different situations to help you out with similar troubles.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:44 AM
seanlaw

does it stabilize the rpms at a constant at idle? my idle is bouncy, engine used to stall in the same situation (don't have cams though), but a reset via technosquare instructions helped that but didn't solve the slight bounce of the rpms.

also, you said more vaccum = higher idle ... could this also be translated to more performance even without cams? would you recommend this diy mod with a bouncy idle and no cams?
Old 06-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

if you have similar issues, but not as bad as what i described, then yes, you can sure try it. The rpms drop, and hit around 800-900 rpms, then bounce up once, and come to a steady idle around 900 rpms. it idles very well, doesn't hop around. now, you may have other issues that i'm unaware of that is creating your issues, and a higher idle may not level it out for you, but from what it sounds like, yes, it should.
It's something to try non-the-less.
if you wish to purchase the kit, you can contact me, or if you want to try it yourself, it's worth it.

also now that the car is running well, the car is awesome. I recomend the cams to anyone who wants more power....
Old 06-02-2005, 11:26 AM
mcduck

Tony, did you increase your idle? I had the exact problem you described, but was able to eliminate it by simply having the engine idle raised 100rpm.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

we couldn't adjust the idle enough. That's what the problem was. WE could adjust it with the consult, but it wasn't enough to compensate. Again, the only reason why we couldn't adjust it enough, was because of the tilton, pulleys, etc....
Old 06-02-2005, 04:10 PM
Z350Lover

THANKS TONY!

I think that might be solved my problem when running with the standard throttle body with the motec computer...

While I had the light weight flywheel installed with Nismo Spec 1 camshafts, whenever the car was coming to a dead stop, and if I de-clutch it at any engine speed higher than 1500rpm, the engine would kill itself while the car was still rolling.... I think it might be due to lack of vacuum, but we never got to resolve it... (when the idle was set at 600 to 700rpm)....

Really appreciate for this information... we are trying to get the car back to the standard throttle body now and hopefully things will work out well with this information! Will keep you guys posted!

cheers,

richie
Old 06-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Z350Lover

Tony... is it possible for you to post up a clearer diagram for me? Or would you please send a better resolution diagram to:

titanium350z@yahoo.com.au

cheers and appreciate for your help!

richie
Old 06-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great, helpful post. i think sentry has his idle up to like, 1300. maybe with this fix he can lower it and save some gas.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info Tony....we really appreciate you sharing this. I higher res link would be awesome...thanks!
Old 06-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Z350Lover

yeah... Z BOY.... I think this will be the way!!! Tony's information really makes my day!!! I have been frustated by this problem for ages.... and really want to go back to the standard throttle control as the motec is a pain in the a** to tune it correctly, especailly with the idle quality....

cheers,

richie
Old 06-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Z350Lover

Tony:

Sorry.. one more question... how do you find the cold start on your car? How the car act before and after this mod?

cheers,

richie
Old 06-02-2005, 06:16 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow.. great info.. I'm having idle problems too.. and they sound very similar to yours.. I think I'm gonna give this a try ...

--mike
Old 06-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you think this will this fix stalling problems with aftermarket intakes?
Old 06-02-2005, 06:44 PM
G3po

Originally Posted by gq_626
Great info Tony....we really appreciate you sharing this. I higher res link would be awesome...thanks!
You can find this info here :

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...BILITY_FIX.PDF
Old 06-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Z350Lover

G3po:

Thanks for the link!!!!

cheers,

richie
Old 06-02-2005, 09:44 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We use to have this same problem in my LS1 Camaro days when installing large cams. The thing that worked best for us was drilling a small hole in the throttle plate. There was actually one there stock, we would just enlarge it. I think the stock one was 1/16" and we would drill it out to 1/8" or 3/16". Made a huge difference in the idle quality and didn't upset the MAF
Old 06-03-2005, 06:27 AM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

My cold start is pretty much the same as before. It didn't affect the starting in any way, the car still fires right up.

here is a link:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...JWTcamIdle.jpg
I had to do a print screen, and copy of this diagram to get it all in one shot, so that's why i do not have anything hosted that is larger...
Old 06-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Here is the link to the idle kit that i used, and that is available now:
http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...oducts_id=4849
Old 06-03-2005, 01:50 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Zteve
We use to have this same problem in my LS1 Camaro days when installing large cams. The thing that worked best for us was drilling a small hole in the throttle plate. There was actually one there stock, we would just enlarge it. I think the stock one was 1/16" and we would drill it out to 1/8" or 3/16". Made a huge difference in the idle quality and didn't upset the MAF
I remember the same mod for 5.0 mustangs.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:02 AM
esfand

hey guys i was wondering how y'all got ur hands on the Consult tool and if i can buy it if yes how much is it and what else does it control besides timing and idle... this can help me a lot thanx

Quick Reply: Nismo Camshaft install and Idle Issues: Answered