Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

What do you think of this custom shift knob? Feeler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 04:14 PM
THX723

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRHIT
Wow, this is the first replacement shiftknob that has actually caught my eye. Great work Clint. Where are you located ... I would really be interested in feeling your **** before I actually buy it (um ok .. that sounds really wrong). But seriously, maybe we can meet up sometime.

I'm 99.9999999999% in.

Damn it Clint and Sharif, this was supposed to be a month off for Z $$$ ... oh well

- jim
I'm live in the Dimamond Bar area (LA county). ... might be a hell of a drive for ya from SD, but my door's always open to visits.

Sorry about the $$$ ... blame Sharif, it's his doing!

Originally Posted by nickgundara
How hard are these to install? Ive never changed a shift **** before but can follow directions if some are available. If I feel its easy enough, I may jump in on this group buy.
It is as simple as twisting your OEM piece off then twist on the new piece.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:36 PM
THX723

Originally Posted by sentry65
ah ok, I must not have seen those pics before

after I missed a shift once and screamed into like 8500rpms I don't grab the shift **** anymore like how you'd grab a lever or baseball bat - I only grab the shifter like that when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

By having your hand angled that way, there's less chance of you pulling the shifter downward and over toward you into the wrong gear because it actually feels slightly awkward to do and just doesn't naturally happen. Has to do with the angle of your wrist

then when shifting from 5th to 6th I actually turn my hand over almost 180 degrees so that my little finger is touching the top of the shifter

just like this
http://www.shortshifter.com/techniques2.htm

That and it's slightly faster to grab to top or left hand side of the shifter instead of the right hand side if you think about it

So to me, the thin GT style shift ***** aren't comfortable
Yes, I know exactly what you speak of here. I do a fair amount of road races and miss-shift is the last thing in the list. Nearly all miss-shifts can in fact be attributed to poor shifting techniques. Often, the typical ‘pistol grip’ is to be blamed for botched 3-4, and especially the 5-6 shifts. Due to the biomechanics of a human hand and arm, the ‘pistol grip’ induces undesirable lateral loads in those situations; guiding the shifter into the wrong gate.

The link you provided is not too bad. It closely resembles the techniques I personally use. I use a combination of 'pistol grip' for 1-2 shift, ‘over-the-top’ grasp and ‘back handed’ brab for negotiating 3-4, and 5-6 shifts respectively. So, you’ll be glad to know the shape of this **** was largely determined to better facilitate the varioius holding positions. In the case of the back-handed grasp, the thumb is well anchored by the cone section of the ****. For the ‘over-the-top’ grasp, the bulk head is short enough for the fingers to wrap around the cone area allowing no slip. Finally during cruise, the more conventional pistol grip cradle can also serves as a nice resting position.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:42 PM
disturbed2483

1) Conceited [PAID]
2) GZire (1 each)
3) 2003z
4) Nano
5) G3po
6) AlanG35
7) Machupo
8) disturbed2483
9)
10)
11)
Old 06-09-2005, 04:48 PM
nickgundara

Anyone have an answer to my question? Clint?? Sharif??

How hard are these to install? Ive never changed a shift **** before but can follow directions if some are available. If I feel its easy enough, I may jump in on this group buy.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:48 PM
disturbed2483

do we have an ETA for these yet cause i will be paying tommorow
Old 06-09-2005, 04:53 PM
THX723

Anyone have an answer to my question? Clint?? Sharif??
Yup. Check bottom of post #61.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:53 PM
JonathanG35

1) Conceited [PAID]
2) GZire (1 each)
3) 2003z
4) Nano
5) G3po
6) AlanG35
7) Machupo
8) disturbed2483
9) jonathang35
10)
11)

I will pay tomorrow (6.10)
Old 06-09-2005, 04:55 PM
THX723

Originally Posted by disturbed2483
do we have an ETA for these yet cause i will be paying tommorow
Production won't start until a minium of 15 units are secured. My machinest won't bother with it otherwise. It will probably take him just a few days to turn out the parts and then a few more days to ship them to Sharif for distribution.

Sharif's mentioned he won't be 'charging' the CC until they are shipped out.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:55 PM
JonathanG35

Quick off topic, can he make a short shifter with a 40-50% decrease in shift length. I am used to the 30ish% decrease of my current shifter and the shifts feel sooooo long. I was going to ask BJ from 350 evo as well.

Last edited by JonathanG35; 06-09-2005 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-09-2005, 06:36 PM
nickgundara

It is as simple as twisting your OEM piece off then twist on the new piece.[/QUOTE]

Clint,

Ive tried twisting it off, but it feels like something will break if I force it. I still want to retain the OEM shift **** for future use. Is there a special method?
Old 06-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Conceyted

It is as simple as twisting your OEM piece off then twist on the new piece.

Clint,

Ive tried twisting it off, but it feels like something will break if I force it. I still want to retain the OEM shift **** for future use. Is there a special method?[/QUOTE]
YES. Wrap a doubled up (folded twice) towel around the **** then get a pair of channel locks and grip the **** at the bottom squared off part (right before the circular finisher. Then get another set of plyers or some sort of locks and hold the bottom part of the shifter under the ac control panel (the panel with the silver ring) that prevents it from breaking anything because it holds the shifter in place while you spin the shift **** counter clockwise to get it off. I know it feels tough but a good tug should release the ****. It is threadlocked so there should be an initial break felt (like untorquing a bolt by hand) and then it should screw off by hand.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:56 PM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1) Conceited [PAID]
2) GZire [PAID]
3) 2003z
4) Nano
5) G3po
6) AlanG35 [PAID]
7) Machupo
8) disturbed2483
9) jonathang35
10)
11)
Old 06-10-2005, 06:31 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very easy to change. I will warn you that some of the factory shift ***** were installed with some kind of red loctite, or some nasty thread locker, so you might not be able to get the **** off just by twisting.

Clint told me that I need to start working out a little more, becuase he was able to twist his off by hand.

If it doesnt come off by hand, just place a towel around the ****, and grab a pair of vice grips or channel locks, and twist the sucker off. It's not had at all with the proper wrench.

Then its just a matter of screwing on the new ****.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:35 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Looks like we nearly have enough people committed. Lets get all the orders into the website ASAP. Remember that I wont be running anyone's CC until the ***** are ready to ship....so sign up on the website today or tomorrow if possible, so Clint can get production started.

Thanks! I cant wait see pics of all of these rides with the sexiest **** on the planet. (no pun intended...this thead could really go bad..LOL)

Here is the link again: http://www.forgedinternals.com/store/home.php?cat=267
Old 06-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

WE have 6 people with orders placed.

Please orders here: http://www.forgedinternals.com/store/home.php?cat=267
Old 06-10-2005, 11:57 AM
JonathanG35

I just paid
Old 06-10-2005, 02:16 PM
copba1t

I disagree on steel or titanium being better than aluminum for heat in this case. Sure aluminum is a great conductor, but it also releases heat more quickly than any of those materials, so it cools down much more quickly. Aluminum has worked great in the past for me and I have lived in some warm climates!
Old 06-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by copba1t
I disagree on steel or titanium being better than aluminum for heat in this case. Sure aluminum is a great conductor, but it also releases heat more quickly than any of those materials, so it cools down much more quickly. Aluminum has worked great in the past for me and I have lived in some warm climates!
I respect your opinion. But from my experience, the AL shiftknobs get so hot in sunny/hot climates, that you physically cant touch the ****. I have seen people go so far, as to but a sock over the shift ****, in order to keep the temps down.

If you have window tint, I'm sure this would help too.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:59 PM
copba1t

Originally Posted by gq_626
I respect your opinion. But from my experience, the AL shiftknobs get so hot in sunny/hot climates, that you physically cant touch the ****. I have seen people go so far, as to but a sock over the shift ****, in order to keep the temps down.

If you have window tint, I'm sure this would help too.
If you live in a very hot climate and don't have tint (would anyone?) then the AL **** might be hot for a second but it cools so quickly it's hardly an issue. The steel ***** are the ones that hold onto the heat so long that they take forever to cool, at least in my experience.

Try putting both a ball of aluminum foil and a fork into an oven heated to 400 degrees for a few minutes. Then put both onto the counter and wait 5 seconds. See which one you can pick up and hold onto

Quick Reply: What do you think of this custom shift knob? Feeler?