Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ATS Twin plate carbon clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 09:36 PM
imoz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ATS Twin plate carbon clutch

Does anyone have one of these or know anything about them?

From the forgedinternals website:

"This is truely the ultimate clutch on the market. ATS has been making clutches for many years, but only recently began marketing their products in the USA. Becuase of their limited marketing budget, you dont hear about this brand as often as Exedy and some of the other brands out there. But the ATS twin carbon disc clutch will likely be the last clutch you ever buy. It is rated at 700ft/lbs of holding power, but has stock enagement and pedal pressure. The entire assembly weighs just under 26lbs, and includes a lightened flywheel and bearing. Becuase it use full floating pure carbon twin disc, these clutch doesnt chatter like other racing clutches, and with the carbon surface, the clutch actually grabs MORE as you heat it up, rather than overheating and slipping like a conventional clutch. We also offer a triple disc carbon clutch, and an option of a heavier flywheel. Email us for details on these items. They are good for well over 1100ft/lbs of holding power. An optional carbon heat treated flywheel and pressure plate is availble for an extra $100. EMAIL US about the single disc, triple disc, and heavier pressure plate options."

It is pricey at around $2k, but it does sound attractive. They say it doesn't chatter, but I'm wondering how this is in real life. Anyone have any experience with one of these?
Old 06-13-2005, 05:25 AM
g356gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several people on the boards with them. I am sure you will get some responses....many positive.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:22 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

I'll let some of my customers or other chime in with their experiences first...as not to bias this thread.

I will tell you that Phunk's mom was able to get in his 600whp 350Z and drive away without any stalling or complaints.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:18 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had one on my car for 2 months now..

It's very drivable..but I wouldn't want to put it on a daily driver that gets stuck in traffic a lot. When the clutch heats up from usage, it has little slip ability. You have to rev it up a little to go smooth-ish.. or you can just dump the clutch When cold or cooled down though it slips fine--very close to stock feel. Which brings up another point, the slip ability seems to change from stoplight to stoplight, so you have to concentrate a little when driving the car with the ATS.. With the stock clutch it was pretty mindless when driving.

Engine braking is more pronounced.. so it's not real easy to coast at low speeds (like in traffic). The car tends to jerk if you try to do this. Downshifting for power is easier however--you can match revs more quickly and smoothly. At WOT in 1-3 gears, it does rev faster.. but 4-6, I don't notice any difference.

Starting in any gear from a stop except for 1st is not a pleasant experience LOL.. It can be done but you really have to rev it a lot to get it smooth..not a huge deal but just an observation..

At idle it's quiet... In first gear it's quiet not a peep.. but 2nd gear and above if the RPMS are 2500 or lower, it sounds like a mac truck aka. cement mixer..

hope this helps,
--mike
Old 06-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Machupo

mine's still laying around at Sharif's house on top of a pile of other parts

from what i've heard from other folks, though, it's a great high-end clutch, not as quiet as stock, but not as loud as the tilton...
Old 06-13-2005, 12:40 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

At idle, the sounds is virtually like stock..if not stock. When you depress the clutch pedal, there is a very mild noise that you can barely hear inside the cabin.

Leemik is correct, in that as the clutch heats up and cools down, it responds slightly differently to the launch. I have found that 1500rpm is enough for me to start cleanly, without jerkeness. There is no on/off nature about this clutch. With the stock clutch, I could pull away with 1100rpm of revs...this one needs just a little bit more.

Overall, it's remarkable clutch combo, given that these things can hold between 700 and 1500hp, but still maintain 97% of the streetability.

Each one is assembled to order, so we can customize them with different weigh flywheels, carbon heat treatments etc. There is a 19lb flywheel option (vs. 9.9lb) which eliminates what left of the noise, and makes the launch even easier.

They ship within 2 days from Japan...and arrive at your door in 7-10days.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:26 PM
imoz

Thanks for responses. I am seriously considering picking one of these up in preparation for a S/C kit. I am also considering the ATS LSD vs. the Nismo LSD. I know the Nismo LSD comes with the stubby axles for the base model. Does the ATS come with these as well? Once again the attraction of the ATS is the claimed lower noise and longer life.

I anticipate that I should be able to get the clutch/flywheel and LSD installed in one day at an experienced shop?
Old 06-13-2005, 07:10 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

The clutch is awesome...a bit noisier than the stock clutch at idle, engages very well, not too difficult to drive...Ii would get it again!

Never slipped it once with over 520rwhp!
Old 06-13-2005, 08:41 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by imoz
Thanks for responses. I am seriously considering picking one of these up in preparation for a S/C kit. I am also considering the ATS LSD vs. the Nismo LSD. I know the Nismo LSD comes with the stubby axles for the base model. Does the ATS come with these as well? Once again the attraction of the ATS is the claimed lower noise and longer life.

This clutch would be overkill for a s/c IMO.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:38 PM
imoz

Originally Posted by Gman2004
This clutch would be overkill for a s/c IMO.
What would you suggest? Will the stock clutch handle a s/c?
Old 06-13-2005, 09:42 PM
Gman2004

If your clutch is still in good shape I would go ahead and use that one until you need a new one. Eventually you will need a new clutch but it should last you a while. For s/c JWT clutch and flywheel would be a good combo and not to bad on the wallet ($700).

I bought the ATS for my set up but I am going to hitting 500whp. For s/c you definately don't need to spend $2K on a clutch.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:02 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

agreed....not what I would put on an HKS S/C equipped car.

I'd recommend something alot milder, ala the ACT

As for the LSD, no the ATS does not come with the seals or axle stubs. If you have a base model, you will still need to buy these from the dealer in order to install any LSD except the NISMO
Old 06-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

I didnt realize you just have a basic SC kit. You could certainly go with a more typical clutch and flywheel combo with excellent results.

Do you drag race a lot, or beat up your car? If so, you might consider the ATS carbons, becuase they hold up to heat much better, and last significantly longer than traditional clutches.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:16 PM
imoz

I do not have an S/C yet. I am thinking about the Vortech. I do not drag race as it is at the bottom of the pyramid of speed. I am planning to get involved in road course track days / open track events.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:53 PM
GY-Z

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
I didnt realize you just have a basic SC kit. You could certainly go with a more typical clutch and flywheel combo with excellent results.

Do you drag race a lot, or beat up your car? If so, you might consider the ATS carbons, becuase they hold up to heat much better, and last significantly longer than traditional clutches.
any other advantage of the carbon lsd have over typical clutch type?
Old 06-16-2005, 11:49 AM
G3po

Originally Posted by GY-Z
any other advantage of the carbon lsd have over typical clutch type?
It is suppose to engage more smoothly , so one can go on throttle sooner during corner exit.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:57 PM
GY-Z

Originally Posted by G3po
It is suppose to engage more smoothly , so one can go on throttle sooner during corner exit.
if i'm not mistaken, Cusco RS also does this correct?
Old 06-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

because of the springs on the RS vs the MZ, yes it allows far smoother engagement and much quicker reaction time
Old 06-16-2005, 03:05 PM
G3po

Originally Posted by GY-Z
if i'm not mistaken, Cusco RS also does this correct?
Yes but , theretically not as well. Carbon provides self lubricating properties , and is most liley even quieter than the RS at low speed turns.

I will either buy the Cusco RS or the ATS. I am awaiting Sharif@ forged internal's review of the ATS unit. i have heard many good reviews about RS already.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:10 PM
GY-Z

Originally Posted by G3po
Yes but , theretically not as well. Carbon provides self lubricating properties , and is most liley even quieter than the RS at low speed turns.

I will either buy the Cusco RS or the ATS. I am awaiting Sharif@ forged internal's review of the ATS unit. i have heard many good reviews about RS already.
so the only advantage of ATS over Cusco RS is ATS is even quieter and have longer life? how about initial lock up? is ATS also smoother?

Quick Reply: ATS Twin plate carbon clutch