Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Grounding/Earthing Kit Installed - Impressions & Thank Yous

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 02:06 PM
Z33Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grounding/Earthing Kit Installed - Impressions & Thank Yous

I finished with installing SKiDaZZLe's grounding/earthing kit this afternoon. It took about an hour to install, and was very, very easy to do. The hardest part was making sure the wires were routed properly.

The Z now idles much, much smoother, and throttle response seems much better. I'm curious now as to whether any fuel economy or power gains will be had, but am not counting on anything. Just the smoother engine is enough.

One warning to anyone installing the kit - remember that in most of the situations, you're tightening bolts into aluminum, which is much softer. I almost stripped a couple of bolts, so just tighten them to the point where you can't move the wires. That will hold fine.

Thanks again go out to SKiDaZZLe, as the kit and instructions were top-notch. I really believe that this system improves the quality of the engine and its performance, and would recommend it to others.

Last edited by Z33Fan; 12-07-2002 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-07-2002, 05:35 PM
Z33Fan

The idle did drop, but only about 50-100rpm. What I did notice is a very, very smooth throttle response in neutral, a running idle on the street that's almost hard to hear, and amazing smoothness on hard-throttle pulls from 20-100mph starting in 2nd gear, running to 6000-6200rpm each shift.

Like I had said before, I'm not sure this equates to actual performance, but I definitely noticed improved response and "feel." Whether my "butt dyno" actually is accurate is another story.

I will say though, that I really feel like this mod makes the overall engine performance commensurate with the reputation of the car. It's now not only powerful, but exceptionally smooth.

If you own a 350Z and haven't done this yet, I suggest doing it. It's worth it.

With respect to the warranty issues:
No changes were made to any of the systems within the vehicle, and no changes were made to any of the positive (+) side of the electrical system. Because the negative (-) side is ground, and is essentially inert, I can't imagine there being any warranty issue. Also, since Nismo sells this as an "earthing system," I would think that there are no warranty-related issues with installing this system.

Unless someone could enlighten me as to how additional grounding impacts any system within the vehicle, I'm guessing that Nissan didn't put this in initially to save costs, and may provide it in future models, because of the difference it makes.
Old 12-07-2002, 06:03 PM
NismoEagleRock

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

z33fan,
i had a question regarding the earthing kit you installed on your car. i have read skidazzle's thread on the earthing kit, and i know that it utilizes monster cables. i was wondering how well you think the outer cover of those wires will hold up, being that they are exposed to high engine temperatures under the hood. do you feel that there's a possiblity the outer coverings will possibly deform or melt? i'm under the assumption that monster cable wires are for use inside within the vehicle, ie interior.. thanks..
Old 12-07-2002, 06:08 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I also agree with the smoothness of the engine and specially in the higher RPM's, it seems that the engine accelerates so much smoother that you have to be aware or you will hit the rev limiter, before the engine felt like it let you know you were up there on the RPM's but now it just goes so easily.
Old 12-07-2002, 06:14 PM
Z33Fan

Most large-gauge wires, such as Monster Cable, are designed for fairly high temperatures, because believe it or not, heat is generated through power wires similar to the ones SKiDaZZLe uses in his kit. The only difference between power and ground wires from Monster is the color.

All of the wires are a reasonable distance from manifolds and other metal objects that exert heat, with exception of one point of one wire, where it is in contact with a hose that carries coolant I believe to the heater core or back to the engine. At this point, I'll be watching for any abnormal wear, as well as at other areas but I won't worry too much about excessive heat. Like I said, most of the cables are routed far enough away from hot parts that there shouldn't be any concern of melting or deterioration of the cabling.

Most cabling developed for automotive operations is designed to withstand higher heat levels because of the application. I can't imagine Monster Cable doesn't use that type of standard.

One last point - if there is noticeable wear as a result of the cables currently installed, a person could always remove the kit, and make another utilizing a different type or brand of wire. Remember though that Monster Cable was developed to bring both power and signals for electronic equipment through it (in terms of audio primarily). Because of this, the "signals" transmitted through the cabling is "cleaner" in some respects.

As always, the way to look at it is "caveat emptor," but I really believe that for the price, you can build or purchase 2-3 kits for the cost of importing the Nissan/Nismo one from Japan.

I hope this helps with your questions. Let me know if other questions arise.
Old 12-07-2002, 07:43 PM
Aloharacing

I PM'd skidazzle a while ago and haven't gotten any response. I wonder if he's still selling?
Old 12-08-2002, 04:11 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Aloharacing
I PM'd skidazzle a while ago and haven't gotten any response. I wonder if he's still selling?
He is still selling. Apparently, he was waiting for parts to come in, but said that they should be able to ship out more by the weekend.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:16 PM
Aloharacing

Thanks for the update.

I just sent him another PM, so we'll see if he replies to this one.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:03 AM
Aloharacing

Default update

For those planning on purchasing from skidazzle-

he IS NOT selling anymore now...so it's time to get out the DIY instructions and go to town.

Old 12-09-2002, 07:08 AM
insaneamine
Inventor
Z-Xtreme.com

Question Guess What???

Hey People,

I am still offering the kits:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=11450

Check out the thread, everyone seems to be happy with the work I have been doing.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:40 PM
Shoots

Indeed, insaneamine is still selling them, and he is a pleasure to work with. I would recomend him to anyone thinking about getting this set.

-Shoots
Old 12-09-2002, 06:44 PM
fdao

Default Re: update

Originally posted by Aloharacing
For those planning on purchasing from skidazzle-

he IS NOT selling anymore now...so it's time to get out the DIY instructions and go to town.

Dang,

That was a quick change of heart! Go with Insaneamine. His kit is just as good and turnaround time is great too. Price, very reasonable.

I am still waiting for Skidazzle to get mine to me for comparison with Insaneamine's kit that I curently have. He has my money right now, so I should be receiving his kit soon .
Old 12-10-2002, 06:47 AM
Vlad

Default How about...

All this "feel" of smotheness is very subjective...
I wonder if you guys could distinct car with installed kit, from stock car. Ahem, WITHOUT KNOWING FIRST WHERE KIT WAS INSTALLED. Or, better 2 cars out of 4.

Somehow I'm pretty sure, all the "feel" will be gone

Old 12-10-2002, 07:11 AM
Z33Fan

I wouldn't guarantee it, but if you took 10 Z's, installed kits in 3 of them at random, I think I could tell you which ones had the kit, and which didn't.

I am curious though as to your rationale as to why it's so subjective. My tach needle used to jump all over the place at idle, and has now stopped jumping unless I turn on the fans or press the accelerator. Is this subjective, or just an astute observation? I don't want to challenge your statements, but it seems as though you're trying to create doubt about whether the kit has any benefit.

If you've installed the kit, and don't feel a difference, then I understand. If you haven't, then my question would be, why so skeptical? I would think that all of the people responding with positive feedback about the kit wouldn't just be saying that.

I do like your idea of testing similar to a "placebo effect" with respect to the kits. If only someone could get their hands on 10 Z's at one time, and install kits at random...
Old 12-10-2002, 09:46 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by Z33Fan
If you've installed the kit, and don't feel a difference, then I understand. If you haven't, then my question would be, why so skeptical? I would think that all of the people responding with positive feedback about the kit wouldn't just be saying that.
Why so sceptical? Well, I would like to install kit if it really helps to improve something. If it's not I don't want to waste money on it.

Now, most of peoples feedback are like "I got the feel that my engine is so much better now". Well it's a well known effect when people are expected to feel something, they could start feel something. Half of farmaceutical industry making living on people buying they drugs because they been told they need it.

My sceptical assumption is grounding kit is helps only in one area - making money for people who sells it. Otherwise if it's such a simple thing and helps so much, how come Nissan didn't do it stock?

That's why I prefer to see some numbers/objective facts before bying anythin. And I never read before about idle revs changes. Never noticed it on my car. Have to check it...
Old 12-10-2002, 09:50 AM
wintermute

Default One empirical test was done

Somewhere in one of these threads, someone took some idle data with an ODB-II scanner before and after the earthing kit, and there was a definitely a reduction in the idle variance after the install. (Idle was more steady) Not sure what it means, but it was a measurable change.

wm
Old 12-10-2002, 02:47 PM
fdao

Default Re: One empirical test was done

Originally posted by wintermute
Somewhere in one of these threads, someone took some idle data with an ODB-II scanner before and after the earthing kit, and there was a definitely a reduction in the idle variance after the install. (Idle was more steady) Not sure what it means, but it was a measurable change.

wm
Yes, it was skidazzle. He had the first custom made Earthing Kit for his car.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:12 PM
islandsnow

Thumbs up HGS earthing kit review

I do notice that it feels very smooth now. It feels easier to shift too, like it has more power. I bought the HGS silver kit and i wired it like most people on here except i have one more wire going to the right side (drivers side chassis) as stated in the HGS installation guide. But yeah, like one other post warned, be careful!! I almost totally stripped one of the 10mm screws holes in the manifold by tightening it too tight. I didn't think i could strip it with a small tiny 10mm wrench, but luckily i only knocked out a couple of threads, i got a longer screw and it worked fine, enough threads to hold the wires and screw in place. I should have bought some loctite but i'll check the wires periodically, i don't think they will come loose on their own. Other than that, i recommend the earthing kits, homemade, or bought, suprisingly they work!!
Old 12-15-2002, 02:55 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my idle is pretty smooth w/o the earthing kit

Quick Reply: Grounding/Earthing Kit Installed - Impressions & Thank Yous