Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Quaife LSD ... finally available!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 03:05 PM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
will have no impact whatsoever on strength, or longevity.

I sure hope you are right. When can we expect the official announcment from Quaife about the fix and when they are going to send us the additional parts?
Old 08-25-2005, 01:53 PM
spdkils

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to open any painful wounds, however...

Does anyone know if the 3.3x and 3.5x ring gears are differnt thickness?

If the auto ring gear is the 10mm thicker, I'll just get one of those, and get it installed. I'd like the taller gears anyway for FI application. Or is it really the shelf that moved, and the ring gears the same thickness?

spdkils
Old 08-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Road Warrior

specifically which model will the Quaife LSD drop right in....i am hoping its the enthusiast?

also, would it be beneficial to put in the 3.9 gearing as well with this mod?

thx
Old 08-25-2005, 08:05 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will bolt into a Base automatic without VLSD. Hummmmmm, not sure where those are sold.

Base is 6 sp manual only.
Automatic trans. Z's all come with VLSD.

Maybe in a market much larger than the USA, different configurations of the 350Z are available.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:08 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
also, would it be beneficial to put in the 3.9 gearing as well with this mod? thx
Yes it would. They had one to test fit, but it won't without the spacer.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:55 PM
spf4000

I still don't get why Quaife decided make a LSD designed for an open diff auto Z. What percent of the Z's currently on the market fits this criteria? I'd think a lot less than models with VLSDs.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:57 PM
zillinois

Originally Posted by spf4000
I still don't get why Quaife decided make a LSD designed for an open diff auto Z. What percent of the Z's currently on the market fits this criteria? I'd think a lot less than models with VLSDs.
I don't believe there are any open differential Z's with an auto trans. That's kind of the whole problem. Quaife used a G35 to make their unit. I think they just screwed the pooch.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:24 AM
bullseye

Originally Posted by zillinois
I don't believe there are any open differential Z's with an auto trans. That's kind of the whole problem. Quaife used a G35 to make their unit. I think they just screwed the pooch.
I have an '03 5AT G35s, and the Quaife didn't fit. I am given to understand Quaife is sending the new "fitment kit" to EVERYBODY who bought the diff on the first go-round. They ask that the folks who don't need it send it back. In short, they don't really know (even now!) who needs it and who doesn't... YELP!
Old 09-10-2005, 07:12 AM
zillinois

Originally Posted by bullseye
I have an '03 5AT G35s, and the Quaife didn't fit. I am given to understand Quaife is sending the new "fitment kit" to EVERYBODY who bought the diff on the first go-round. They ask that the folks who don't need it send it back. In short, they don't really know (even now!) who needs it and who doesn't... YELP!
Do you have an open diff or an VLSD?
Old 09-10-2005, 09:20 AM
bullseye

Originally Posted by zillinois
Do you have an open diff or an VLSD?
It's the stock open diff.

I never seriously thought about upgrading to a lsd. I knew clutch-type lsd's and vlsd's are inferior upgrades, compared to a mighty Quaife ATB differential. But for a while, that's all that was available. Surely Quaife would come to our rescue?

Then I heard where Quaife was starting the 350Z project. I was all for it! I knew there was a good chance it would fit my 5AT G35 application. (I had a Quaife on my '95 Maxima, and I loved that thing.) The question I waited to hear answered for almost a year was: For which application would the first issue ATB be designed to fit? When I heard it was designed to be a drop-in replacement for my stock open differential, I was very pleasantly surprised. I placed an order for one within the same week.

I was disappointed to find my new Quaife did not fit "as advertised". But the true test of a company's mettle is not if they are perfect; It's how they react to, trouble-shoot, and correct problems. I know my fitment kit is on the way to me, now. Sharif has done about everything he can do on his end. And I have faith that Quaife will make things right. I can't wait to get this hawg installed.

By the way... Go Buckeyes!
Old 09-10-2005, 07:51 PM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by bullseye
It's the stock open diff.

I never seriously thought about upgrading to a lsd. I knew clutch-type lsd's and vlsd's are inferior upgrades, compared to a mighty Quaife ATB differential. But for a while, that's all that was available. Surely Quaife would come to our rescue?

Then I heard where Quaife was starting the 350Z project. I was all for it! I knew there was a good chance it would fit my 5AT G35 application. (I had a Quaife on my '95 Maxima, and I loved that thing.) The question I waited to hear answered for almost a year was: For which application would the first issue ATB be designed to fit? When I heard it was designed to be a drop-in replacement for my stock open differential, I was very pleasantly surprised. I placed an order for one within the same week.

I was disappointed to find my new Quaife did not fit "as advertised". But the true test of a company's mettle is not if they are perfect; It's how they react to, trouble-shoot, and correct problems. I know my fitment kit is on the way to me, now. Sharif has done about everything he can do on his end. And I have faith that Quaife will make things right. I can't wait to get this hawg installed.

By the way... Go Buckeyes!

Like your post but ahem UT kicked your sorry A$$!!!!! HOOK'EM!!!!
Old 09-10-2005, 10:49 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by gatti-man
Like your post but ahem UT kicked your sorry A$$!!!!! HOOK'EM!!!!
3 pts. is hardly an a$$ kicking...and I'm not a buckeye fan.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:47 AM
bullseye

With several minutes remaining in the 4th quarter, the Buckeye's missed a 50-yd field goal (2 feet outside of the upright) that may have defined the outcome of the game. But you have to give Texas credit for making the big plays when they had to. Neither team ever gave up. Good luck to Texas in pursuit of the national championship. I can't wait until next year, when I understand the Buckeyes will have a chance to return the favor on Texas' home field.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:53 PM
gatti-man

I was just puimped they actually played up to a team as opposed to punking out like they usually do. Probably the best Texas game i have ever seen.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:59 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

I'm NOT a college football fan, SOOOOOOOOOOO, back on topic, has anyone installed the Quaife LSD yet?
Old 09-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Road Warrior

i am trying to keep up to speed on this thread...so does quaife make an lsd to fit the enthusiast 6 spd manual model or not? sounds like they make it but you need the other parts to make it work. i am assuming these extra parts are of no charge to the customer too. also, i want to drop in the 3.9 gearing too so would this change what i need from quaife or nissan to get this done?

thanks in advance
Old 09-12-2005, 02:28 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Quaife had a diff. with a 3.917 installed from a Track model (which is the same as an Enthusiast) for measuring, but I don't think they bothered to look at it! :mad So, I can't answer your question.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by EnthuZ
Quaife had a diff. with a 3.917 installed from a Track model (which is the same as an Enthusiast) for measuring, but I don't think they bothered to look at it! :mad So, I can't answer your question.
i know what you mean...hopefully, in time, everything will work out. seems like quaife is the best setup for me....nice and quiet, added performance over stock and less maintenance than the others out there.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:35 PM
gatti-man

the 3.9evo will work with the quaife. The ratio shouldnt have anything to do with the lsd working or not. I also asked quaife and they said yes.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gatti-man
the 3.9evo will work with the quaife. The ratio shouldnt have anything to do with the lsd working or not. I also asked quaife and they said yes.
thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Quaife LSD ... finally available!