Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Infamous Trans Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 05:17 AM
Firemedic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Infamous Trans Issue

I have an 2003 Base with 13k on the odometer. It just started to grind going into 3rd gear when you don't baby it. I know alot of people here had the same problem and got thier tranny replaced, but the question is, how long did it take the dealer to make that decision. I called them up today and they stated that they need the car for atleast 5 days to see what the problem was. I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't go 5 days w/out a car. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 04:29 PM
patdsaunders

Rob,
It took my dealer about 30 min to decide it needed a new tranny. Melloy Nissan here in Albuquerque was fantastic. I am again having some grinding. I hope it holds together, but if it doesn't, I know they will back the car. Go to a different dealer that wants your buisness and post what is going on. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Exta_Z

Firemedic,
Can you describe your "grinding" in a bit more detail? Noises, shifter feel, etc... thankz!
Old 07-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Firemedic

Originally Posted by Exta_Z
Firemedic,
Can you describe your "grinding" in a bit more detail? Noises, shifter feel, etc... thankz!
Like trying to put the car in reverse when driving forward.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:24 AM
hardcharger

I took my car into the dealer with the exact same symptoms. The dealer held it overnight and then gave it back to me. It took them 2-3 weeks to get approval from Nissan to replace it but I was still driving during that time. When the new tranny came in they put the car in the shop and gave me a loaner. Nissan will front the bill for a rental if its determined that you have a defect in the drivetrain ( i.e. tranny). Good luck.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:12 AM
manrey

Its a defective tranny, it will be replaced by them. many peopl had it including me, i have the same car, base Z, number 1900th built. The synchro is shot. They made them wrong on the first few thousand. Show them the grind, let them, drive it tell them you've heard that the only fix "IS A REPLACEMENT" they will call Nissan and nissan will tell them to replace it.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:14 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer didnt even have to look at it. Once I described it to me, he said "Oh, well I have seen this before and Nissan usually replaces the transmission, is that ok with you?"

I was happy with that and said yes.

When it happened on the second transmission I was not so happy...

Both times it took about 4 days to do the swap, that includes the shipping time from California I think. Fedex must LOVE Nissan.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:16 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by manrey
Its a defective tranny, it will be replaced by them. many peopl had it including me, i have the same car, base Z, number 1900th built. The synchro is shot. They made them wrong on the first few thousand. Show them the grind, let them, drive it tell them you've heard that the only fix "IS A REPLACEMENT" they will call Nissan and nissan will tell them to replace it.

I think its more than the first few thousand. I bought mine new in Nov of 04 and I had two transmissions grind on me in 5th and 6th. I believe it has even affected some 05s...
Old 07-28-2005, 08:21 PM
sam_watts01

just took mine to shop yesterday and was told after and hour that i was getting a new tranny AND clutch for replacement under warrenty. was disturbed that dealer didnt give out loaners.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:24 PM
Firemedic

thanks a ton guys. I plan on bringing it in next week. I have a very busy schedule, its hard to get time to myself nowadays.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:34 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by tacomaboy
I think its more than the first few thousand. I bought mine new in Nov of 04 and I had two transmissions grind on me in 5th and 6th. I believe it has even affected some 05s...
Yeah, I still haven figured that tranny issue.

A friend of mine had tranny blow at 6000miles, his car is jan 2003

Another friend had his tranny blow at 15000miles, his car was august 2003

Mine is a march 2003 (right inbetween those) 20Kmiles... no issues!!! everything seems fine. I just hope it won't blow up when the warranty is over. I just don't get what the deal is, why do some blow up and other hold up fine? Or are they ALL going to blow up sooner or later? If that's the case, nissan should recall them, like BMW did with the 2002 E46M3 defective engines.

Last edited by Nano; 07-30-2005 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:40 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally Posted by Nano
I just don't get what the deal is, why do some blow up and other hold up fine? Or are they ALL going to blow up sooner or later? If that's the case, nissan should recall them, like BMW did with the 2002 E46M3 defective engines.
IMO, the tranny will grind sooner or later.. I have the 165th built, 2003, and I have been taking care of my tranny for the last 2 1/2 yrs.. Including changing to different tranny oil, etc... I finally changed it back to Nissan tranny oil around 32k miles.. Been babying it since then.. Finally around 46k miles my tranny starts to make this whining noise when going to 2nd and 3rd gears.. it was very obvious... So I took it in, less than 1/2 day, and got a call to replace tranny..

Try to request a mechanic to ride with you when take it to the dealer.. It helps ALOT to have a witness.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:23 AM
Firemedic

Originally Posted by Apexi350z
request a mechanic to ride with you when take it to the dealer.. It helps ALOT to have a witness.
That's what I plan to do, I have an appointment next Monday. I'l keep you posted.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:24 PM
klubhedsi

which dealer u took it to ?>
Old 08-07-2005, 12:34 PM
MyZNeo

Has anyone changed the shifter? I changed to the B&M sport shifter and have noticed a lot of vibration at the stick at high RPM's, 5000+.... I have an '03 with 35K+ miles and have not experienced any tanny problems but, I have started to notice that 2nd to 3rd whine... Should I drop the stock shifter back in before visiting the dealer?
Old 08-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Firemedic

Brought it in, they stated that they could not duplicate the grind, didn't have time to drive with the guy. They are fixing another problem so whe I bring the car back when the part is in, I'm going driving with them to show them the grind. BTW I broke down and took it to Gerald Nissan in Naperville.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Firemedic

Originally Posted by MyZNeo
Has anyone changed the shifter? I changed to the B&M sport shifter and have noticed a lot of vibration at the stick at high RPM's, 5000+.... I have an '03 with 35K+ miles and have not experienced any tanny problems but, I have started to notice that 2nd to 3rd whine... Should I drop the stock shifter back in before visiting the dealer?
I have the mossy adjustable, no probs with vibration.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:54 PM
sam_watts01

i just got my car back yesterday with new tranny and clutch along with a couple other things that needed to be fixed. tranny was replaced for free and had excelent help from the dealer.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:39 AM
unit5alive

Arrow

Last edited by unit5alive; 04-21-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:39 PM
ZON

Originally Posted by Firemedic
I have an 2003 Base with 13k on the odometer. It just started to grind going into 3rd gear when you don't baby it. I know alot of people here had the same problem and got thier tranny replaced, but the question is, how long did it take the dealer to make that decision. I called them up today and they stated that they need the car for atleast 5 days to see what the problem was. I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't go 5 days w/out a car. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions.

Thanks
IMO your stealer is a *****. They don't want to deal with it so they give you this BS requirement that makes it very difficult for you. I finally took mine to a second stealer after the first guy failed me. The second guy took it right away and now it is perfect. Mine had the 3rd gear grind in and out when driving a little harder than normal. The difference now is night and day.

Quick Reply: Infamous Trans Issue