Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Underpulley gains

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 07:55 AM
ttheisen93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underpulley gains

With all of this talk about modding an exhaust and intake that are pretty good to begin with, has anyone put an underpulley on their Z, and to what effect? It looks like Stillen is selling one from their website, and I can't see how the ECU would negate the gains produced by a lighter pulley. Seems like this is also one of the cheaper and easier mods to do. Any experiences?

Craig
Old 12-10-2002, 08:02 AM
350Z33

Its called Underdrive pulley... that is if its smaller in diameter than the stock one. Read about the gains on the 3.5 Altima here:
http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/...r02/altima_ur/
Old 12-10-2002, 08:32 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Underpulley gains

Freesup rotational engergy that was used to turn a heavier and bigger pulley. good for NA cars, revs up alot faster. subsequent adverse affects on powersteering are slightly noticable but they're thats the thing its noticable.

i had it on my 5spd max before i did the S/C. good cheap mod. less than 200 with the belts and all.

i would think a lightweight smaller pulley on the Z would probably benefit nicely.

Unorthodox Racing is a great company, and thats where i got my UDP from last time...hopefull they'll make one for us.

--cheston
Old 12-10-2002, 01:37 PM
at350z

I'd one on my Z32 for 5.5 yrs and experienced no problem to the function of A/C, water pump, battery etc. The engine reponed quicker.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:45 PM
bluefish

Default working on it

We have a local company working on it...

Details to follow...
Old 12-10-2002, 04:01 PM
dczoner

Anyone have any U/D Pulley experience with an aftermarket stereo?

Back when I had my 300ZX I was considering getting one. I actually had placed an order with Unorthodox and then a few hours later, my alternator took a dive. Too much draw with accessories plus a 600W Xtant sub amp. Cancelled the order that day just because I needed the money to get the damn alternator fixed!

Let me know if any stereo folks have done this mod, simply because I want to develop more power, but I don't want to risk overworking the factory pieces once the stereo upgrade begins...

Also, does anyone know if the Z33 can import alternators from any other VQ model? Anything more powerful in the Murano or G35 possibly? Maybe the FX45 with its big-ole V8?

Thanks
Old 12-10-2002, 06:28 PM
Goober
Charter Member #57

Originally posted by catzo350z
I know that underdrive pulleys are supposed to have no ill effects and since it is less rotational weight, it should free up "parasitic drag" but I think there is more to it-I mean what is the point? For Nissan to detune the car by putting on a heavier pulley? Doesn't seem likely.
I wouldn't think that Nissan would want to do this either but money is money and if a heavier metal costs less and doesn't sacrifice the performance, then they'll go with heavy. They certainly did with the Z32.

Look at the grounding wires that people are putting on. I don't know if they are truly causing better performance, but if they are, then Nissan could have spent less than $50 more to get a smoother engine on the Z.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:10 AM
350Z33

Remember the VQ35 is a mass produced engine used in many Nissan/Infinitis. Only so much funding can go into research/development of particular engine components. Now if Nissan was building a race only engine then they would put the lightest and most efficient pulley on the engine.

And also the VQ is internally balanced so the crank pulley is NOT a harmonic balancer.

I've never been one to have a booming system, but I've heard of people with 600w amps and full pulley sets not having any problems.
Old 12-22-2002, 02:00 PM
robl45

Years ago I had underdrive pulleys on my mustang. That worked out great, if you call great having someone push the car to start it every time. If you have a high power stereo, be careful with these underdrive pulleys. I had a very high output alternator and still couldn't charge the damn battery. Finally bought an overdrive pulley for the alternator and everything was fine again.

Rob
Old 12-22-2002, 02:22 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

I don't believe this is something that Nissan would not have done if it were better in every way. The cost of a lighter pulley instead of a heavier one is negligible. And they definitely could have made the pulley a smaller diameter without a change in cost; they make it the size it is because that's the speed the accessories are designed to run at. Of course you can go messing with things like the speed you run the alternator, A/C and water pump at, but is that really wise? Do these little companies making pulleys know more about the engineering of our cars than the engineers who designed them? I think it's nuts to go screwing with stuff like this to get gains so small that even the promotional web site claims can't be felt with the "seat of the pants dyno".
Old 12-22-2002, 02:48 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

You could make basically that same argument about any tons of mods. CAIs, exhausts, grounding cables, retunned ECUs, etc.

Several things combined make a difference.

I'm not saying pulleys are the end all, but the logic that if it would improve performance, Nissan would have done it aren't logical.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:31 PM
Zeromancer

Here, here!!!!!
Old 12-22-2002, 10:57 PM
Droppin_Gears

Only one person touched on the harmonic balancer. I would stress not to change out the crank pulley. I mean hell screw with accessory pullies all you want for the extra 2 hp you might get. I'd just say to leave the crank pulley alone, unless you like the idea of premature wear to engine. This is the main reason a good bit of people that will do all/almost all bolt-ons on newer cars shy from changing the crank pulley. Anyways just my .02
Old 12-23-2002, 04:38 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

If I'm not mistaken, these engines are internally balanced, negating that fear.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:57 AM
ttheisen93

Default Underdrive Pulley

I was under the impression that most of the gains came about as a result of reduced rotational mass, not the reduced diameter (I realize that to some degree these two go hand in hand). If that is the case, would it make sense to build a reduced mass pulley, using lighter materials, that was identical in size to the original? It would seem that way you could get most of the gain without having to worry about reduced power going to your accessory systems.

Regards,
Craig
Old 12-23-2002, 08:00 AM
12SecZ

To the high power stereo user,

What I did in another car is crank under pully and altenator over drive pully. Otherwise I wouldn't do it if I were you.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:11 AM
robl45

yes, and at that point, the pulleys are worthless, only reason I kept them is because the crank pulley was also raising my supercharger boost.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:05 PM
ttheisen93

Good reply Catzo

Wow, I'm glad I started such a good thread, but I'm sorta embarrassed about calling it an Underpulley, and not an Underdrive Pulley, especially with all the rocket scientists who know waaaay more about engines than I ever will. Every time I get an e-mail telling me to look at a new reply in this thread I look at the thread title and can't help but think "Whata dork I am!"

Craig

Quick Reply: Underpulley gains