Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Rogue shifter install Reviews (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 04:48 PM
RED HOT Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rogue shifter install Reviews (PICS)

Hey whats up guys I installed my Rogue shifter I bought from 350EVO and I love it!!

It's so awesome the shifts are so much shorter and quicker. I reccomend it 100%

I was bored ok^^^

Here is the install

first you take off the center console by pulling straight out by holding from the shift boot

Once thats out you disconect the harness for your AC controls

then you remove the white foam

Next you remove the metal bracket with a 10mm rachet

the rubber cover should just come off

next you just pop off another rubber cover

now that you removed the rubber cover you remove the triangle shaped bracket with a 10mm

now you go underneath the car and move to the side a rubber cover. There you will unbolt the shifter using a 12mm

once you remove the bolt the shifter will pop out make sure you leave the spring in the center

now you will grease up your new rotator cup bracket thingamajig ant place the new shifter onto of the spring. place and tighten loosely the triangle bracket to hold the shifter in place

Now shift the new shifter into 6th and make sure the guide hits the edge of the triangle bracket and then do the same into reverse. once you have lined them up tighten the top of the triangle bracket and work your way down

all of this will seem so much easier and will all make sense when you are there installing.

now put everything back together

o and dont cut yourself like I did

unfortunately my kit didnt come with instructions so hope this helps. overall I love my new shifter.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:59 PM
LaoSiFu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like it didn't come with a first aid kit too. haha

Very excellant installation instruction. A+++ Very detail and the pictures help me a lot. I am very confident of installing my own shifter now thanks to you RED HOT Z. BTW I am not familiar with the grease part, which grease did you use?
Old 08-01-2005, 05:01 PM
JLS2005

Awesome DIY!! ! How about some final installed pics. Also, where did you pick your shifter from, and how much?

Edit: sorry, I did'nt read your whole post thourghly(sp),but I still want those finished install pics!

Last edited by JLS2005; 08-01-2005 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:07 PM
05-Z

Are you using the same boot? Nice write up.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:11 PM
RED HOT Z

Originally Posted by LaoSiFu
It seems like it didn't come with a first aid kit too. haha

Very excellant installation instruction. A+++ Very detail and the pictures help me a lot. I am very confident of installing my own shifter now thanks to you RED HOT Z. BTW I am not familiar with the grease part, which grease did you use?
lithium based grease and thank you just try not to cut yourself haha very easy to do
Old 08-01-2005, 05:11 PM
RED HOT Z

Originally Posted by JLS2005
Awesome DIY!! ! How about some final installed pics. Also, where did you pick your shifter from, and how much?

Edit: sorry, I did'nt read your whole post thourghly(sp),but I still want those finished install pics!

I know I have a pic let me get it
Old 08-01-2005, 05:28 PM
RED HOT Z

here you go finished pics

Old 08-01-2005, 05:39 PM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple of things from my install on a G coupe:

1. The first rubber boot you pull off of the shifter has four holes. Under that bolt is a pretty flimsy metal piece. I tightened that too much and deformed the plate. When retightening it takes very little effort.

2. When I emailed Ben at Rogue his suggestion for the grease was a teflon based product. I don't know if lithium based or teflon based really makes a difference, but I went with the teflon based.

3. The metal sleeve at the bottom of the shifter originally comes with a twisty-tie holding it in. The sleeve is pretty slick so make sure it doesn't fall out during the install because once it's gone, it's not too easy to tell it's missing since that section of the shifter is going to be under the car.

4. The shifter cup is well worth buying since it's a pain in the butt to retreive from the original shifter.

Red Hot Z, pretty good for no instructions. When I go home tonight I'll search for my instructions. If I can find them, I'll post them here.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:23 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! Let us know how you like it after a few hundred miles.

Anyone know why the bolt connecting the upper and lower portions was moved up on the shifter from the original design? It also looks like it has some sort of support collar added...is my old one going to loosen up or seperate or something?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:01 AM
GZire

Here's a link for the Rogue installation:

http://www.rogueengineering.com/pdf/...er_install.pdf
Old 08-02-2005, 04:26 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
Nice! Let us know how you like it after a few hundred miles.

Anyone know why the bolt connecting the upper and lower portions was moved up on the shifter from the original design? It also looks like it has some sort of support collar added...is my old one going to loosen up or seperate or something?
RED HOT ... very nice install pictures (except the cut finger) .. thanks.

350Zenophile and others .. Yes, the design is definitely different .. including the collar -- Anybody want to contact Ben at Rogue to ask why .. and what are the benefits of these changes ?

Here is a picture of the original design -vs- the new one.

The old one... (same picture is shown at the Rogue website)*

The new one ..

Would also like to know from anybody .. lithium grease -vs- teflon ?? I have done a lot of research .. but no conclusion. I am currently using the Lubricate No. 630AA lithium grease.

Last edited by fairladyZ in Japan; 08-02-2005 at 04:28 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:43 AM
King Tut

I don't know if I would have installed a short shifter with all the tranny issues you are having and the problems getting it warrantied.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:37 AM
350Zenophile

Originally Posted by fairladyZ in Japan
350Zenophile and others .. Yes, the design is definitely different .. including the collar -- Anybody want to contact Ben at Rogue to ask why .. and what are the benefits of these changes?
Found my answer on their website . It's called the "POWERBAND." They even have a logo for it.

With the continual evolution of our OCTANE shifter, we are proud to introduce our POWERBAND feature. The incorporation of the POWERBAND to the OCTANE shifter lever means that no matter how hard you twist or pull the shifter lever in the vehicle, the bond will never separate. The 6061-T6 aluminum ring and the stainless steel hardware positively secures the upper lever and lower shaft in perfect alignment at all times. Implementing the POWERBAND in no way inhibits the vibration absorbing characteristics engineered into the OCTANE shifter lever.
Great. So that implies that mine will seperate at some point, right?! j.k.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:07 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
Found my answer on their website . It's called the "POWERBAND." They even have a logo for it.

Great. So that implies that mine will seperate at some point, right?! j.k.
350Zenophile .. Answer is no ..

I wanted to find out what was going on .. so at approximately 9:15AM EDT, I called Rogue in NJ from Japan.

I spoke with a very knowledgeable person at Rogue --- only to find out at the end of the call that the customer service "rep" at Rogue was in fact Ben !! A great guy and it was very interesting to talk with him. He was heavily involved in the design of the 350Z SS.

Summary ..

1/ The "POWERBAND" was added to the 350Z Rogue shifter to prevent "idiots" from powering off the shifter **** and shifter itself. Rogue experienced too many complaints regarding this area .. so they added the band to idiot-proof it.

Apparently, the operation of the 350Z shifter and BWM ***** and ease of removal are a lot easier with the BMW.

2/ Although there are some basic design changes to version 1 and 2 of the Rogue .. there is NO difference to the overall feel, shifting, ease of shifting, performance, etc ... everything is the same.

The shifter picture posted above by me from their website .. was an early prototype ..and sold only a small number of units at the beginning .. most of which were replaced later on.

3/ Ben went on to say that .. the sales of Rogue 350Z SS have fallen off to a point where they may discontinue it .. 500 units a year is the break point.

Some competition with a rival, knockoffs .. cheap imitations .. is hurting their sales.

And finally .. Rogue is BMW .. and that is their primary focus. The 350Z shifter is really a very small side product.

Last edited by fairladyZ in Japan; 08-02-2005 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:39 AM
350Zenophile

Originally Posted by fairladyZ in Japan
The shifter picture posted above by me from their website .. was an early prototype ..and sold only a small number of units at the beginning .. most of which were replaced later on.
That's what concerns me b/c I bought mine early on in a GB and it looks like the one in the photo. I'm going to call Ben and try to make sure mine isn't a prototype. Thank you very much for your response.

I'm sure it will be fine...these guys know what they're doing.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:43 AM
maxpowers

Nice work creating these instructions!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:27 AM
GZire

+1 on Ben.

It's great to get a hold of a manufacturer willing to spend the time with you and answer questions.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:39 PM
cracka350z

how did that big *** shifter fit in that little car? and why do you have ro'ja stickers all over it!! if you took those off you might fit it in there.....
Old 08-02-2005, 01:58 PM
RED HOT Z

^^ haha I was bored at work so I took some pics with my hotwheels
Old 08-02-2005, 05:03 PM
cracka350z

lol...i was just bein a retard....got bored myself so decided to write pointless stuff...lol. so is it harder to shift or just quicker? easy to misshift...cuz that 4th to 3rd would be bad...

Quick Reply: Rogue shifter install Reviews (PICS)