Old 08-19-2005, 05:15 PM
dieselpilot1969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best aftermarket clutch

To be had for this 6spd manual?
Old 08-19-2005, 05:56 PM
g356gear

If money is no option.....then the ATS carbon twin disc. For more economical choice the JWT clutch/flywheel for nearly stock feel and good power holding ability....even F/I.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:20 PM
Vegas350Z

Any thoughts on the Excedy(spelling?) kits?? This is what I was thinking of going with.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:23 PM
HockeyZ39

The tilton clutch/flywheel combo will give you the fastest revs b/c of the 8pound flywheel but the fullstreet only holds up to 300hp. It still has some slip so it is drivable when your not racing, the semi-street has no slip and the clutch is like a on/off switch but it gives u the fast revs and ability to hold lots of power.

As said be4 the JWT gives you that stock feel but a lighter flywheel (14 pounds over the stock 23 pounds) so you get a performance gain but not as much as the tiltion. Besides being very hard to drive the tilton makes alot of noise when driving under 2500k, stopped, and taking off. Most people describe it as a cement mixer sound and a "broken" sound.

I dont know anything about the ACT so if any one has some info on it let me know! Like flywheel wieght, if it produces any noise or not, and if it is ez to drive. TAI!
Old 08-21-2005, 12:00 AM
MRballer350z

Originally Posted by HockeyZ39
As said be4 the JWT gives you that stock feel but a lighter flywheel (14 pounds over the stock 23 pounds) so you get a performance gain but not as much as the tiltion. Besides being very hard to drive the tilton makes alot of noise when driving under 2500k, stopped, and taking off. Most people describe it as a cement mixer sound and a "broken" sound.

I dont know anything about the ACT so if any one has some info on it let me know! Like flywheel wieght, if it produces any noise or not, and if it is ez to drive. TAI!
That "broken" noise can better be described as a constant chatter with the clutch released and occurs when driving in gear under no added acceleration, mainly in first gear only.

To anyone not looking for street races all day long on the street, I wouldn't recommend a very light flywheel combination with a heavy duty race clutch, IE 8lb flywheel + clutch combo).

Sorry, I am not able to lead you on with options on clutch kits, however I can vouch for ACT or JWT. I have heard great reviews and feedback from both particular companies. I'd personally consider something along the lines of SPEC, but I'm not sure they even distribute kits for the Z.

Good luck,
Adam
Old 08-21-2005, 03:20 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

The Nismo clutch and flywheel are made by Exedy. Exedy also makes their own for the Z, but I don't know anyone who has one. The JWT setup seems to get great reviews for a good all round setup.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:59 AM
xephiron

I think the JWT and Nismo are both gonna feel very close to stock, with some weight loss. Apparently both are easy to drive. I personally like the JWT best, it is lighter than the Nismo, has a higher clamping force (more HP/TQ capability), and costs less. Plus, the flywheel on the JWT has a replaceable contact plate (whatever you call it) so you don't have to replace the whole flywheel when it wears down. Plus I love JWT so throw in a little bias.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:25 AM
cjb80

I currently have the Tilon semi street, and well, I hate it. I only have about 100 miles on it and I am looking for an alternative. I need something that will hold 600 rear wheel or so with a decent engagement. Other than the ATS, is there any other options?

I also don't mind having a heavier flywheel, which will smooth out the engagement alot, and help keep idle steady. Is there any heavy duty clutches that will support 600 rwhp with a heavy flywheel?

Chris
Old 08-22-2005, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tilton clutch/flywheel combo will give you the fastest revs b/c of the 8pound flywheel but the fullstreet only holds up to 300hp. :
Whoa! Is that true!?!? It will only hold 300hp? What's the use of getting that? Is that at the crank...cause we are at 287 stock? I'm hoping that's at the wheels because at least then we have a ways to go...but with some mods, cams, and heads, you're well over that....screw nitrous or real FI!

But seriously.....full street only holds 300hp??
Old 08-22-2005, 02:40 PM
HockeyZ39

its to the wheels, if you want it to hold more than 300 you have to get the semi-street and the clutch is like a on/off switch so every time you come to a stop you have to take off like its a race! I dont know how much HP it can handle but I think its quite a bit.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its to the wheels, if you want it to hold more than 300 you have to get the semi-street and the clutch is like a on/off switch so every time you come to a stop you have to take off like its a race! I dont know how much HP it can handle but I think its quite a bit.
lol. That would be awesome! Peeling out at every stop light. People would be staring at you all the time. haha. Damn, imagine getting caught in a traffic jam. Everyone would think you were pissed off at them. Guess that's a no-go.

But 300 rwhp with the semi-street huh?. That's probably something I'd never see with just simple bolt-ons.... bu I got that and ever wanted to do anything more than bolt on's, I'd be screwed.

So how much difference is there between the tilton and JWT....both in how much hp they "free up" and how much hp they will hold? I know the JWT is a bit heavier so obviously it isn't going to perform AS good as the tilton...but how much less performance are we actually talking about....
Old 08-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Anomaly460

A little of topic but do you have to get the carbon heat treated flywheel and pressure plate with the ATS clutch? http://www.forgedinternals.com/store...1&page=1...Can a different flywheel be used with this clutch?
Old 08-23-2005, 09:20 AM
chichi506

IMHO get the jwt clutch. that's what i have on my car and it feels nearly stock but grabs much faster from a dead stop with quicker shifts. don't waste your money on the flywheel. Zero horsepower gain and you'll have to deal with the "cement mixer" noise. pain in the ***. step on the clutch and it gets a little better. just get the JWT. you won't be sorry.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

best performing clutch and best clutch for your needs are huge differences...
Old 08-23-2005, 02:54 PM
JKDman

Originally Posted by chichi506
IMHO get the jwt clutch. that's what i have on my car and it feels nearly stock but grabs much faster from a dead stop with quicker shifts. don't waste your money on the flywheel. Zero horsepower gain and you'll have to deal with the "cement mixer" noise. pain in the ***. step on the clutch and it gets a little better. just get the JWT. you won't be sorry.
ZERO HP Gain? Negative. There's SOME gain. Not a WHOLE LOT but definitely not 0.

Cement Mixer noise IS there. Some people can live with it. Some cannot.
It's all relative.

Some people (like me) have swapped out both Flywheel and Clutch and i'm a very happy camper. Yeah, it would be phenomenal if there was no added noise but the added performance definitely makes up for it.

And YES! JWT Clutch = the SH~T!
Old 08-23-2005, 02:58 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Gain is NOT peak horsepower...

The gain from a lighter flywheel and clutch is in the acceleration band... that does not reflect in Peak HP...
Old 08-24-2005, 07:18 PM
Faizei

Just so that I am straight on this thread. Does the JWT Flywheel make the chatter noise as well?

Does anyone have experience with the Unorthodox flywheel?
Old 08-24-2005, 09:27 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

all light weight flywheels will make some form of Chatter...

If you think it isnt going to make the sound when you turn on the car... wait 5 minutes and it will start making it...

I cant tell you how many people get into my car and say "Thats the chatter people are complaining about? thats nothting!"
Old 08-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Faizei

Thanks for the clarification Jason! Maybe that is what I am hearing on my stock clutch/flywheel currently when shifting in 3rd or 4th gear occasionaly. It lasts for 2-3 seconds sometimes.

How does the JWT flywheel compare with the Unorthodox version?
Old 08-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Yes it is... It is just a little more noticible with an aftermarket flywheel...

JWT flywheel is the most common flywheel people are running with "stock sized" clutches... Its a great weight reduction over stock... 14lbs compared to the stock 28lbs... Has a replaceable surface area as well...

The Unorthodox (alot will say its exactly the same as the Aasco but didnt hear that from me) is great as well. But the price difference makes the decision for me...

JWT = $399

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...&Submit=Search

Quick Reply: What is the best aftermarket clutch