Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Cooling Question??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 01:20 PM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cooling Question??

I just noticed that my Z was running VERY hot today. The temp according to my dash gauge was 102-103 deg. While riding with the AC as high as it would go, I noticed that my temp gauge was at almost the very top of the "normal" band on the gauge. When I turned the AC off, the gauge slowly dropped to what is normal for the car which is a little bit below around the center of the "normal" range. I have drove the car in higher heat than this before. Actually, I have run several runs at the dragstrip with the dash gauge reading 113 deg with no problems that I am aware of. I do have the Vortech SC and the Veilside V3 bodykit. The FMIC fills the hole in the V3 bumper so there is less air flow to the radiator than stock, but again, I have never experienced this problem.

When I got home, I put the car in park (5AT) and let it idle with the AC off and the needle stayed in the upper end of the range. As soon as I gave it a little throttle, around 1500-2k RPMS, the needle dropped slightly, but not back to what is normal.

Anyone have any suggestions?

TIA,
Zach
Old 08-21-2005, 02:03 PM
kpiskin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been just as hot here in Southern Va. lately due to the heatwave. My Z is staying toward the bottom half of the normal range without much variance. I think your thermostat is starting to fail, since I've experienced this in a number of other cars I've owned with the same symptoms. It's a pretty cheap and easy fix.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:00 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue TWICE with my stock thermostat. It started failing and would close or just not open at all. This was also in the hotter time of the year in SD. After replacing it and having it fail again I have given up hope on the Nissan thermostats. I now run with no thermostat. I know it was the t-stat as that was all I did the first time was replace it and it stopped overheating. Then this last time I removed the stock t stat housing and with protocavs help drilled out the security screws and removed the t-stat assy from the housing. Reinstalled the housing without it and wam bam thank you protocav no more overheating. I have actually found that my water temps leaving the block are about 10-15 degrees COOLER with no thermostat. Also have BEAT on my car since and the hottest it gets is between 195-205 which is pretty normal. Fans kick on at 205.....May be worth trying. I wasn't about to spend $100+ on a Nismo t-stat for it to fail to. I did buy a spare thermostat which costs $15. Amazing how a spring tension change and the word Nismo can run up the cost another $85+.