Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

JWT flywheel without new clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005 | 12:17 PM
gatti-man

Default JWT flywheel without new clutch?

I am going to buy a lightened flywheel and have 5k on my car. Do i/should i buy a new clutch as well. I know the JWT works with the stock cluth but would it adveresly wear with an already used clutch or am i good? Also what kindof charge is it usually to get the flywheel installed? Normally I DIY but i dont have the equip for a tranny drop. Thanks for the help
Old 09-05-2005 | 12:33 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

If you are going FI then maybe replace the clutch with one with more grabbing power at the same time as the flywheel. Otherwise there is no real reason to replace the clutch now.
Old 09-05-2005 | 12:35 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

a new clutch now will cost as much as the labor later on...

but later on you will pay labor and a new clutch...
Old 09-05-2005 | 12:48 PM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
a new clutch now will cost as much as the labor later on...

but later on you will pay labor and a new clutch...
yeah but my clutch has 5k on it... i mean ive driven 70k on a clutch before. Granted that was on an integra GS but still i should be able to get another 20-30k out of this clutch and thats like 2-3 years lol. That was the whole point of my Q. Since its a new flywheel and a relatively new clutch would i it be fine to just replace the flywheel?
Old 09-05-2005 | 12:51 PM
mrtomcat

the jwt clutch feels about a million times better than the horrible horrible stock clutch.
invest the money and get the combo.
Old 09-05-2005 | 02:08 PM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
the jwt clutch feels about a million times better than the horrible horrible stock clutch.
invest the money and get the combo.
really? i like the stock clutch feel please explain. Im not going FI but i will be modding to a high end NA. Plan on purchasing the quaife lsd and 3.9 by the end of the year. Already have forged rims exhaust and JWT intake.
Old 09-05-2005 | 02:23 PM
mrtomcat

The engagement is too high and it's just too wabbly....for lack of a better word...
When I test drove the Z that was the only thing I hated. Needles to say I switched to the jwt clutch/flywheel after about 1000 miles and love it ever since.
My 60' foots immediately improved, no clutch smell if you slip it a bit and it just doesn't feel like a toy anymore...

hope that makes a bit sense
Old 09-05-2005 | 02:30 PM
gatti-man

yeah it does i know what you mean but im used to it i guess. I didnt realize the JWT would fix alot of those issues. I was just so happy it wasnt impossible to push in like the old SVT cobra clutch i had. Guess maybe i will mod go with the whole thing then lol.
Old 09-14-2005 | 01:28 PM
Sean00500

I was also thinkin of getting this combo its a real good deal and JWT is very respectable. Mrtomcat i asked a guy about is JWT FW and i heard that the jwt flywheel makes noise, is this true for yours as well and if so is it loud or just noticable and most importantly will i give a damn once i have them installed??
Old 09-14-2005 | 06:12 PM
vision619

I just put a JWT clutch/flywheel combo in my car. I was talking to Jim about it the other day and told him if he wasn't a man I would kiss him. The difference is INCREDIBLE. As far as I'm personally concerned compared to the JWT combo, the stock clutch is junk. Than again my car has F/I so I noticed a HUGE difference. Plus you may as well save labor costs. It's not cheap for that install. Why pay twice? Sell your clutchon eBay or something.

As far as noise, it varies on every car. You get used to it and it's only when your in neutral with the clutch dis-engaged. It's nominal. Not enough to sway a decision like this. You know the old saying "you gotta pay to play"!

Last edited by vision619; 09-14-2005 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2005 | 06:23 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

yeah its a great mod. glad you like it. Its pretty quiet too right?
Old 09-14-2005 | 06:25 PM
vision619

Originally Posted by 35ounces
yeah its a great mod. glad you like it. Its pretty quiet too right?
You'll notice it for about 2-3 weeks. Then you just get used to it. Trust me, it's not that loud. It's just a little rattle sound. If you don't want to hear it ... depress the clutch LOL
Old 09-14-2005 | 06:30 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Dude, I have it...for a while now both when I was N/A and now FI. I find it very quiet for an aftermarket clutch with decent grab rating. No complaints.
I am just surprised when people say it is loud cause I never hear much from mine.
Old 09-14-2005 | 06:32 PM
vision619

me either. you know how people are. always picking stuff apart. when you start modifying you have to be prepared so sacrafice a fair amount of "stock" creature comforts. simple as that. do you want a car that performes the one you bought off the lot? You know...
Old 09-14-2005 | 11:45 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by Sean00500
I was also thinkin of getting this combo its a real good deal and JWT is very respectable. Mrtomcat i asked a guy about is JWT FW and i heard that the jwt flywheel makes noise, is this true for yours as well and if so is it loud or just noticable and most importantly will i give a damn once i have them installed??
the Flywheel sound is annoying, You get used to it when driving but I HATE it on idle at times...not always but it's making this weird cluttering sound.
I have had tons of people telling me because they thought something is wrong with my engine...
From what I was told that's a sideaffect of lighter flywheels...I got used to it but I wish they would address this for future versions.

At the end of the day the drivablility wins by a 1000.

You might also want to look into the RPS clutch and flywheel. They were my first choice and only because the clutch got damaged during transport didn't make it into my car...
Old 09-14-2005 | 11:50 PM
ltk

After installing a new JWT I had to go back to the stock flywheel after having so many tranny problems. The after market FW doesn't have a dampner in it, so all the engine vibration is travels straight into the transmission. I had everything from loose bearings to constant annoying rattle at idle. Most tranny's have an extra tooth in the gears to take out the slack, but the Z uses a rubber dampner/ between a two piece design flywheel. I liked the fast reving JWT, but wasn't worth the trouble. Just do your homework man. -Lee
Old 09-14-2005 | 11:52 PM
ltk

P.S. no matter how good of a clutch you get, you'll always have that rattle at idle with a different flywheel since the transmission doesn't have any engine to tranny dampning effect built in... Completely relies on the stock flywheel for that.
Old 09-15-2005 | 08:43 AM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by ltk
After installing a new JWT I had to go back to the stock flywheel after having so many tranny problems. The after market FW doesn't have a dampner in it, so all the engine vibration is travels straight into the transmission. I had everything from loose bearings to constant annoying rattle at idle. Most tranny's have an extra tooth in the gears to take out the slack, but the Z uses a rubber dampner/ between a two piece design flywheel. I liked the fast reving JWT, but wasn't worth the trouble. Just do your homework man. -Lee
this si the first ive heard of a tranny going to crap bc of the vibes from the flywheel. Especially the JWT.
Old 09-15-2005 | 08:50 AM
ltk

Default flywheel

run some searches in the forums, you'll see what I mean. I found a post that had over 250 people complaining about their transmissions going out. I printed that post and brought it to the dealer so they wouldn't give me the run around. I got everything between the engine and drive shaft replaced for free.
Old 09-15-2005 | 08:53 AM
ltk

most dealers won't warranty your transmission once you put an aftermarket flywheel in it too. I had to go to the corporate level and have them approve it. Took weeks, but I had to prove to them that I had problems from day one. After having my car in the shop for weeks, I decided to go back to the stock FW and it runs just fine. You're not loosing much power off the crank with a stock vs a JWT. Probably less than 10WHP difference.

Quick Reply: JWT flywheel without new clutch?