Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Quaife LSD reports?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 08:33 PM
gatti-man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quaife LSD reports?

Hey did anyone ever get this thing installed? It seemed like it was going to be a great upgrade for all base owners (me). Yet i still havent seen a review of one.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:31 PM
bullseye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Quaife diff was designed to be a drop-in fit for 5AT transmissions. I heard a 5AT install went well on a 350Z. My 2003 5AT G35 had a fitment issue, for which a fitment kit is being made. It is still not clear why the new Quaife ATB Differential did not fit my 5AT application as supplied. The prevailing theory is my 5AT tranny was shipped from the factory with a 6MT differential! If true, that would explain the fitment issue, but it would also create additional unanswered questions... I did not intend to be a test mule for this new component, but it looks like I am.

On the upside, if my 5AT tranny was indeed supplied from the factory with a 6MT diff, then I guess my final drive gearing is a shorter than expected 3.5. This 3.5 FD gives me better acceleration than the 5AT diff, which has a taller 3.3 FD. I guess every dark cloud has a silver lining.

Q45TECH, where are you??? Can you shed some light on this for me?
Old 09-05-2005, 09:36 PM
bullseye

By the way, I'm not sure you will see a ton of reviews on this. The Quaife ATB differential is probably the best you can buy. It's going to work great, without noise, and without the need for any special maintenance. It's a bullet-proof component that will outlast the car, even under racing conditions with HUGE horse-power. What more can you say?
Old 09-05-2005, 09:51 PM
gatti-man

but i have a 6MT and had heard that it wasnt fitting yet. I mean i know its the best but i need to know if it will work lol. I mean 1500 price better mean i can install the biatch when i get it you know?
Old 09-06-2005, 04:57 AM
Z33

I expect most of us are waiting for the new spacer and bolts package from Quaife. Some of us are also waiting for backordered side bearings. I'm waiting until I've got a 3.9:1 gearset to put in at the same time.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:58 AM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

ya beat me to it
Old 09-06-2005, 09:33 AM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by Z33
I expect most of us are waiting for the new spacer and bolts package from Quaife. Some of us are also waiting for backordered side bearings. I'm waiting until I've got a 3.9:1 gearset to put in at the same time.
I have the 3.9evo but no quaife lol. Since i have a base with an open differential im not going to put the 3.9 in and nor lsd, that would be just plain retarded. Id have wheel spin out the rear. I sent them an email yesterday asking whats up but who knows what they will say.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:46 AM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Quaife but like everyone else is awaiting additional parts for the install. What I don't understand is this. At first when the Quaife first came out it was said that it would be a drop in fit for open diff cars. For a Z that meant only the Base models. Furthermore, the Base models only came with 6MT trannies. Now I'm hearing the Quaife was designed to fit 5AT 350Z. Aren't all 5AT 350Z's VLSD equipped? Can someone straighten out the confusion here on my part?
Old 09-06-2005, 04:39 PM
spdkils

I too am waiting the new "spacer".

I'd personaly rather have the 3.3 rear since I'm already FI. I've got a lot more power, I'd like to stay in gear and use it longer!!!!

I look @ my $1500 dollar paper weight every day... and just shake my head.

spdkils
Old 09-06-2005, 07:59 PM
bullseye

Originally Posted by gatti-man
but i have a 6MT and had heard that it wasnt fitting yet. I mean i know its the best but i need to know if it will work lol. I mean 1500 price better mean i can install the biatch when i get it you know?
That is my point exactly. The biatch does not fit as advertised...

I assumed the R&D process was finished before I bought the new Quaife. But the process was not finished then, and it may not be finished even now. To Sharif's credit, he checked, re-checked, and checked again before he placed the order for me. He's done everything possible, it seems, to help me... short of threatening somebody over at Quaife. (I don't know... Maybe Sharif DID threaten somebody over there.)

My local dealer started the installation weeks ago, which was touted as a direct bolt-on affair. But they had to crayfish when the ugly "fitment issue" manifested itself: The ring gear shelf on the Quaife is off by 10mm. Set my stock diff and the Quaife diff side-by-side on a bench, and you can plainly see there's a problem. Quaife's first response was to suggest my dealer go custom fab a 10mm spacer! I don't know who my guys were talking to when Quaife made that suggestion, but c'mon... That's weak.

In short, it cost me about $460 to find out the new Quaife did not fit as advertised. I don't know at this point whether Quaife will reimburse me for our exercise in futility, but I remain hopeful. I have faith in Quaife and the quality of their ATB differentials. Somebody goofed over there, but I think they'll ultimately make things right. I just want the biatch to fit.

In the meantime, I too gaze upon my expensive paperweight...
Old 09-06-2005, 08:07 PM
gatti-man

Wow thank god i was broek when this thing came out bc i was/am dead set on buying this thing. Would have killed me to look at it everyday knowing i could have spent 1500 on something else for the Z.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Z33

As an engineer, I have a certain amount of faith in the eventual resolution of any reasonable development process, moderated by the inevitability of the intrusion of Murphy's Law.

Since Quaife is a UK firm, they could sensibly have used a UK-configured Z as a guide, and I can imagine that pumpkins, gearsets and standard equipment on a UK-Z might well be different than anything owned by their first actual customers in the US. Or something similarly sensible, but similarly misleading. Murphy will always exploit the slightest opening.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:26 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

NOT an engineer, but why release a product (the most expensive LSD) that doesn't fit ANY 350Z's without expensive axels and a micky-mouse spacer?

I market a product that was tested to make d*mn sure it fits ALL 350Z coupe's.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:19 PM
bullseye

Originally Posted by Z33
As an engineer, I have a certain amount of faith in the eventual resolution of any reasonable development process, moderated by the inevitability of the intrusion of Murphy's Law.

Since Quaife is a UK firm, they could sensibly have used a UK-configured Z as a guide, and I can imagine that pumpkins, gearsets and standard equipment on a UK-Z might well be different than anything owned by their first actual customers in the US. Or something similarly sensible, but similarly misleading. Murphy will always exploit the slightest opening.
Murphy does have a way of intruding, but I understand several US-spec pumpkins and/or diffs were provided to assist Quaife with their R&D. This makes the fitment problem that much more vexing, to say the least.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:47 AM
Z33

Originally Posted by bullseye
Murphy does have a way of intruding, but I understand several US-spec pumpkins and/or diffs were provided to assist Quaife with their R&D. This makes the fitment problem that much more vexing, to say the least.
It surely does appear that somebody at Quaife made several erroneous assumptions about Nissan's Z/G rearends. From the other Quaife thread, it sounds like a single G35 was used for specification: an automatic with an open diff. I can hardly imagine a less typical application, but maybe that's just me. With Quaife's reputation, I'm sure all will be forgiven once we're past these entirely solvable integration issues.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:53 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Hi everyone, as you know, I have been emailing all of you periodic updates on the status of the spacer plates and longer bolts. They should be shipping out this week to everyone direct from Quaife.

Quaife is world renowed for the engineering expertise, and quality product. But honestly, mistakes happen, and this was a goof up of sorts. The diff was supposed to be modeled after the 6MT diff, but instead, it was modeled after the 5AT diff.

Once the spacer's and bolts are shipped, everyone can proceed with the installs, and the formal and informal reviews can begin!! I too, am anxious to hear the reviews.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:38 PM
bullseye

Thank you for the good news, Sharif. I'm sure if you had been in charge of Quaife's R&D Dept., this never would have happened. I look forward to receiving my fitment kit and getting the assembly installed. Thanks for all your help.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:40 AM
gatti-man

Has anyone recieved their fitment parts yet and installed it? Im buying mine on the 20th and installing it by the end of the month. Im hoping im not the first......
Old 09-13-2005, 03:41 PM
bullseye

No fitment kit yet...
Old 09-13-2005, 07:04 PM
Redfoot

So, no one is concerned with the patch job Quaife will be supplying? You are adding extra mating surfaces that will be an additional wear point, longer bolts that will flex a bit more. If I had bought one of these, it would be sent back. If Kinetix put this unit together I don't think your responses would be nearly as understanding.

Quick Reply: Quaife LSD reports?