Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Why modify a Track?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 12:37 AM
NTCNA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why modify a Track?

For those of you who buy a new 350Z and immediately put on a body kit, new wheels and tires, and upgrade the suspension...why would you buy a Track model when the only extra stuff you are paying for is what you are gonna replace? I would suggest getting the lowest grade Z (being a performance from my research) that gives you the basics you wont replace. The VDC is first offered in the Performance model and you also get the limited slip diff, TCS, and the HID xenon bulbs. You can get all this that you would also get with the Track but not in your basic Z. Then you could buy your wheels, new suspension, and Nismo body kit and have a lower monthly payment. Am i crazy in thinking this...it seems to only make since to me. Why pay extra for something you are just going to replace?
Michael
Old 12-17-2002, 12:48 AM
ahhhshucks

why even buy a performance, Nismo makes a aftermarket LSD and I dont really even care for the TCS. So if you really want to start off right (if you plan on customizing everything) start off with the base...oh and the HID lenses are really over-rated, I can get basically the same thing with hyper-whites or something similar.
But thats just my opinion.

03 silverstone base.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:11 AM
NTCNA

What makes you not like the VDC or TCS systems?
Old 12-17-2002, 01:27 AM
ahhhshucks

Those are just bells and whistles that I think a car really dosent need if you are going to mod it, try beefing up your suspension more for the hole shot instead of traction control where it just cuts your fuel to keep you from roasting your tires, and the vdc just keeps you from spinning out you are turning to fast.
just my opinion, It takes some of the danger away from driving, but hey isnt racing dangerous enough.

ahhh just my opinion
Old 12-17-2002, 01:32 AM
NTCNA

Default modify a track?

I completely agree with you but the fact that Formual 1 racers use a computer traction control device just keeps sticking in the back of my mind.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:35 AM
ahhhshucks

Ha ha I dont think the 350z is quite on the same level as a formula 1. what about 1/4 mile strip, thats my favorite.
or the stop light to stop light
Old 12-17-2002, 02:19 AM
z461

Originally posted by ahhhshucks
Those are just bells and whistles that I think a car really dosent need if you are going to mod it, try beefing up your suspension more for the hole shot instead of traction control where it just cuts your fuel to keep you from roasting your tires, and the vdc just keeps you from spinning out you are turning to fast.
just my opinion, It takes some of the danger away from driving, but hey isnt racing dangerous enough.

ahhh just my opinion

LOL, I prefer to live what with the horrible drivers on the road. VDC has saved my life before, in bad weather conditions when i've had to make emergency maneuvers with little space, i've said it before and i'll say it again. YOU CAN'T brake individual wheels like VDC or any other anti-spin control system can, therefore I don't care how good of a driver you are, VDC is better. Performance is what I would've gotten, but I thought that the stock stereo bose upgrade would've been pretty good, and I didn't know at the time whether I could upgrade to leather because of the side airbags (many cars have special leather seats that split at the seams for the side airbags to fire). IF I had known the stereo was going to be so bad, and that the leather seats I could've had from the dealer for 800 bucks I would've gotten a performance model... But oh well, I still enjoy the leather, the 6-cd in-dash changer w/ my aftermarket speakers/amp, and I love the heated and power seats. I guess that's where my 3 thousand dollars went... Definately wouldn't get a base though, that's ghetto stylez IMO, the best car to mod off of is the performance. LSD is hard to install for those who don't know, and if not bought from the dealer will void ALL tranny warranties. Also, HID's are significantly better than any bulb. The base really is just there so that Nissan can advertise a low low starting point price, just like the IS300 which starts @ 28,000 and the A4 which starts at around 27,000. In the end most models end up being over 30K dollars..
Old 12-17-2002, 02:27 AM
ahhhshucks

oh I'm sorry I did'nt know a 27,000 car put you in a ghetto bracket. Guess I'll be taken mine back to the dealership today and tell them I dont want to be ghetto please take it back.
I know I know not everyone has one but hey I bought a base model so that makes me ghetto.

To each their own.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:41 AM
GY-Z

....ppl buying track modle cuz of the breboo breaking system??i think??at least for me......
da suspension has no difference for any other modle inculding tack modle........
Old 12-17-2002, 03:29 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Track and I don't plan on replacing the wheels. I think the Rays look awesome. BUT, adding a body kit really has nothing to do with it. The aero kit on the track is actualy pretty inexpensive and adding a kit isn't that big a deal.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:06 AM
Zaphod 350z

I bought the track because I DON'T want to change the wheels and I DON'T want to change the brakes. I think the ray's wheels look sick and the fact that they are super light make me very happy. The brembo brakes, besides the asthetic benefit, suit me fine. They will provide superior braking for the occasion track and highway escapades. I don't feel the need for an aftermarket set up unless the car was being tracked all the time. A body kit, we'll see about that. Definitely not anytime soon. I feel my money is better allocated to making the car go faster rather than look faster.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:59 AM
350zSpeedRacer

I bought the track because I don't plan on changing the wheels or brakes. I love the Rays and the fact that my brakes won't fade nearly as fast as the next Zs. The ONLY thing I MIGHT be doing for appearance is the Nismo wing, but that will be a while.

My money is going for under the hood mods, suspension, etc. that will make the car faster and handle better.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:54 AM
Alang

I bought the track because I knew I was going to modify, and the track already had brake and wheel upgrades. Two less things to worry about. Now I can concentrate on suspension and go fast parts. Since these bits are the same on all models, they would have been changed out regardless of the model I picked.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:35 AM
ShermanA

I agree with most of the threads above. I bought the Track because I specifically didn't want to change the wheels, etc. Having done the wheel/tire/suspension mods on a few of my previous cars, I wasn't completely satisfied with the result. Sure the car looked hot and cornered (almost) like a go-kart, but I'd spend most of my time trying to avoid pot-holes in order to keep my fillings in my teeth. I love the look of the Rays, and I especially LOVE the Brembo's. Besides, in Canada, there is no Base and the difference between the lowest priced model and the Track is only $800 (U.S.).
Old 12-17-2002, 10:25 AM
mydogscool

I bought a track because of the Ray's and Brembo's. I really like the VDC, TCS, and Xenons. I plan on upgrading the suspension and engine for performance. The brakes are already upgraded except for the Stainless Steel lines. Plus the Track looks more BadAss stock than the others.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:38 AM
z461

Originally posted by ahhhshucks
oh I'm sorry I did'nt know a 27,000 car put you in a ghetto bracket. Guess I'll be taken mine back to the dealership today and tell them I dont want to be ghetto please take it back.
I know I know not everyone has one but hey I bought a base model so that makes me ghetto.

To each their own.
Yes, my reasoning is, you never buy the very base model of a car... It is usually there just to set a base price for advertisement purposes.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:01 PM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: modify a track?

Originally posted by NTCNA
I completely agree with you but the fact that Formual 1 racers use a computer traction control device just keeps sticking in the back of my mind.
Don't you warry about F1. Believe me they systems are quite different.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:42 PM
sicktypes

Originally posted by z461
Yes, my reasoning is, you never buy the very base model of a car... It is usually there just to set a base price for advertisement purposes.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:51 PM
STC

Does the Track model weigh less than the other trims?
Old 12-17-2002, 04:22 PM
NTCNA

No the Track weighs more than any of the others but not by much. If you want exact figures its all on the Nissan web site.

Quick Reply: Why modify a Track?