Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

super chargers, turbos and our car insurance

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 10:38 PM
LR350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default super chargers, turbos and our car insurance

Hi, im wondering if we purchase a supercharger or turbo down the line, do we tell our insurance company? i know most people would say no , but what happens (knock on wood) you totl your car? if insurance sees the super charger/turbo will they neglect your claim?
Old 12-17-2002, 11:35 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive never heard of anything voiding your insurance policy, they will pay you whatever the car is worth, and that will not include things you didnt tell them about, so you will not be compensated for any modifications.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:39 PM
nwind21

Default Re: super chargers, turbos and our car insurance

Originally posted by LR350z
Hi, im wondering if we purchase a supercharger or turbo down the line, do we tell our insurance company? i know most people would say no , but what happens (knock on wood) you totl your car? if insurance sees the super charger/turbo will they neglect your claim?
My insurance company told me if I wanted an aftermarket "something" covered in the comprehensive part, I need to tell them.

So if you want like an aftermarket radio covered you might want to get it documented with your insurance carrier, etc.

I'm not sure if it will affect your rates though. That you'll have to ask your insurance carrier.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:28 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Geico policy is if its worth over $1k in additions to your car.. you need to report it to them.

Modifying the engine and not telling them I think would put you on the edge of being denied coverage if they find out in a claim.

Same reason a turbo or big engine carries a bigger insurance premium then a smaller engine car. Dropping in a turbo I think would put you in that same arena.

I sure wouldn't want to nullify my coverage after I already paid them all the money. The risk isn't worth the gain IMO.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:46 AM
mbuxton

I used to work for Geico and 99% of the reps fail to ask you whether or not you have any additional aftermarket parts on your vehicle. IF they don't ask you (and log it on your account) and you total your car or what-not, they WILL cover everything bolted onto the car. Geico is one of the quickest insurance companies to pay out without arguement.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:31 AM
mcclaskz

Your best bet is a don't ask, don't tell policy. I am going through the same type of thing to see if I am covered at track, "driver education" courses. Keep in mind the more info you give them, the easier it is to deny or cancel your policy/claim. I have even heard of one local guy who wanted coverage for a supercharger he put on his f body, the insurance company cancelled his policy saying he would be "racing" since he put on "racing performance" equipment on.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:33 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Geico gave me a hard time about stolen stereo equipment about 8 years ago.. because they tried to claim it 'wasn't permanently installed' because it wasn't bolted through the trunk floor. I had to argue with them a bit that it was installed to the floor, under the carpet, etc.. they just wanted to not be responsible.. but in the end they paid for everything but my lost CDs.