Old 09-18-2005, 08:19 AM
junl350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your car still smog legal?

thanks
Old 09-18-2005, 11:35 AM
kosmic

Test pipes = not smog legal. But he could just swap in the stock cats before getting inspected and pass without a problem.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:12 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by throbbing_Zon
But the way the stock #'s were derived is his dyno took an average or "typical" of all the stock 350Z's that have been on the machine. That average # is 219 bhp at peak & it is a very narrow average, they were all in that ball park. My Z ended the tuning session with 279.6 bhp at 6500 rpm.
A/F is a sweet 12.4. Ted spent 3 hours on the Dastek tuning it.
Sorry but I think its dumb to take the average of all stock Z dyno's and then use your Im sure highest "tuned" numbers and compare. I dont care if they average 219whp, what if your Z dyno'd 230 stock? What if it dyno'd less? I would like to know what your best stock pull was, and compare that to your best modded pull. In this discusin of YOUR Z and YOUR gains, other dyno's should be set aside. With that being said, you still have some nice gains. And BTW I dont believe 12.4 is a sweet NA A/F. I believe and I think most would agree 13:1 - 13.5:1 is ideal, id say your a tad rich imo....Was your timing adjusted at all? If so how, advanced or retarded and where in the rpm's? Nice to see well done NA Z's popping up more.

Cams are better than JWT or Nismo (that is my opinion) yet I bet they will be less expensive
What a statement especially from sombody who doesnt know the specs of his own cams. I understand you are happy with your car, but to make a comment like that is a little obsurd. Have you driven a Z with JWT or Nismo cams? Have any experience with them? If not how can you make a claim like the one above?

Last edited by Alberto; 09-18-2005 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:27 PM
ZON

Originally Posted by Alberto
Sorry but I think its dumb to take the average of all stock Z dyno's and then use your Im sure highest "tuned" numbers and compare. I dont care if they average 219whp, what if your Z dyno'd 230 stock? What if it dyno'd less? I would like to know what your best stock pull was, and compare that to your best modded pull. In this discusin of YOUR Z and YOUR gains, other dyno's should be set aside. With that being said, you still have some nice gains. And BTW I dont believe 12.4 is a sweet NA A/F. I believe and I think most would agree 13:1 - 13.5:1 is ideal, id say your a tad rich imo....Was your timing adjusted at all? If so how, advanced or retarded and where in the rpm's? Nice to see well done NA Z's popping up more.

What a statement especially from sombody who doesnt know the specs of his own cams. I understand you are happy with your car, but to make a comment like that is a little obsurd. Have you driven a Z with JWT or Nismo cams? Have any experience with them? If not how can you make a claim like the one above?
What can I say, I'm not a gear head and don't speak well to all of the spec stuff. I have read many of your postsover a long period, Alberto, and you have given me a lot of enjoyment in those posts and I have admired your Z, it was one of my bench marks. I know you know many things more than do I about these cars and I appreciate it all.

Dyno # and blah blah blah. But your right, I wish my Z would have had the pre dyno done first but it was not done. It shouldn't matter. Every single stock Z that has been on this dyno are the same result, + or minus a one or two hp. I can't thrash over that now and just go round and round about it. Besides with that logic you can believe a copy of my car will do the same exact thing.
By the way it was first Gtech'd by SP and just as soon as Greg get's back from Hawaii he is going to do it again.

A/F... Ted said it doesn't get any better than that and I wish you could meet him. Yes he set timing but I have no idea about this aspect. He does and that's all I care about.

The cams kick a$$ all over the place and the idle is smooth, perfectly steady at 740. Yes I have actually experienced both brands in other 350Z's. Sorry but the truth hurts, these cams are better, but soon I will not be the only one backing them up in here. Your absolutely right though, it is a bold statement. But I highly recomend that you call Ted (click on the link in my sig). He would be more than happy to explain his position on his cams and it is especially helpful that you know the talk, unlike me. He's actually a real nice guy.

Most of what I go on is instinct. But I know my car and I know that what has been done to it is a big deal and it worked like a charm. It is important to us in the 350Z community to have a good selection of high quality components. At SP that is exaclty what they intend to do, they are not finished. With that I know you hope what I am saying is true, because I know you want better, like me, and there is always something better right around the corner.

Peace out, bro. I wish we could hang out sometime man!!
Old 09-18-2005, 11:02 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the clarification throbbing_Zon. Now I understand (wink, wink). Gut instinct and taking vendors' word for something are all well and good, and having said that, everyone here can make their own mind on the value of such a review. If I were sponsored, I would probably also post a great endorsement and then claim that I'm not a techie when confronted with inconsistencies and discrepancies in the write-up. I am not disputing the ultimate benefit of your mods, but then I do not argue with television infomercials either, nor do I watch many. I strongly agree with Alberto that comparative statements (JWT, NISMO cams, etc...) must be backed by hard data or they will undermine your position.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:31 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

The cams kick a$$ all over the place and the idle is smooth, perfectly steady at 740. Yes I have actually experienced both brands in other 350Z's. Sorry but the truth hurts, these cams are better, but soon I will not be the only one backing them up in here. Your absolutely right though, it is a bold statement. But I highly recomend that you call Ted (click on the link in my sig). He would be more than happy to explain his position on his cams and it is especially helpful that you know the talk, unlike me. He's actually a real nice guy.

Peace out, bro. I wish we could hang out sometime man!!
Hey sorry if I came off a little harsh. I just wanted to know if you had experience with other cams and you say yes so that makes your opinion to me even more worthwhile-although I would still like to see it proven. Im glad you are happy with your car, like I said before you have an awesome NA set-up, if I didnt have this Turbonetics kit sitting in my garage, Id prolly be looking into these NA cams. Do you plan on running it at the 1/4 track? Do you have a dynojet nearby? I would love to see some dynojet jumbers....I would like to hang out with you and your well modded Z as well man but we are far far away. Get some vids and post for us.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:10 AM
ZON

Originally Posted by undrgnd
Thanks for the clarification throbbing_Zon. Now I understand (wink, wink). Gut instinct and taking vendors' word for something are all well and good, and having said that, everyone here can make their own mind on the value of such a review. If I were sponsored, I would probably also post a great endorsement and then claim that I'm not a techie when confronted with inconsistencies and discrepancies in the write-up. I am not disputing the ultimate benefit of your mods, but then I do not argue with television infomercials either, nor do I watch many. I strongly agree with Alberto that comparative statements (JWT, NISMO cams, etc...) must be backed by hard data or they will undermine your position.
Hey that's fair enough. And you are welcome to come experience my Z anytime.
You are welcome to call SP and talk to Ted or Greg. Or you can just forget this whole thing and regard it as hoppy ****, because I am obviously a stupid SP minion. But let's hope not because I know you want better too. But we'll get you what you want I am sure, and I'll work on it. So like I had said before let's just mark it as a matter of my opinion, which it is.

Thank You.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:20 AM
ZON

Hey sorry if I came off a little harsh. I just wanted to know if you had experience with other cams and you say yes so that makes your opinion to me even more worthwhile-although I would still like to see it proven. Im glad you are happy with your car, like I said before you have an awesome NA set-up, if I didnt have this Turbonetics kit sitting in my garage, Id prolly be looking into these NA cams. Do you plan on running it at the 1/4 track? Do you have a dynojet nearby? I would love to see some dynojet jumbers....I would like to hang out with you and your well modded Z as well man but we are far far away. Get some vids and post for us.
Hey thanks Alberto. The 1/4 track is far for me and I can't say i would make it there. But I think I mentioned a before Gtech done and waiting for the after. I will get those comparisons put here but it will prolly be a week or two.

I had not thought of doing any pulls on a dynajet. I do have some pulls on one from 30,000 miles ago when I did the Borla. I think that is an excellent idea. I'll try and get that done. That dyno was at APEX Motorsport, I think that's the name but they moved. I can track them down I am sure.

I know we are far and that sucks.

Talk to ya' later.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:57 AM
BENJ-AMG
Banned

Congrats Zon! Love hearing about NA success stories. We're gonna need some videos of the beast in action. I predict a future cam shoot-out in SportZ : SP vs Crawford
Old 09-19-2005, 12:42 PM
ZON

Originally Posted by BENJ-AMG
Congrats Zon! Love hearing about NA success stories. We're gonna need some videos of the beast in action. I predict a future cam shoot-out in SportZ : SP vs Crawford

Thank you BENJ! Yes Greg mentioned an intent to shoot some video when he comes back and Gtech's it. Keep in mind it is not only the cam's but also the Unichip and tuning. It is those things in unison that make all the magic happen with all the breathing mods and the stock motor itself.

A shoot out with a Crawford car? That would be interesting and fun. I guess it has to happen somehow, sometime. Now it needs better tires and wheels and suspension.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:46 PM
ZON

Do you have a dynojet nearby? I would love to see some dynojet jumbers.
Alberto, I dug up my old Dynajet data from a 2003 session I had and posted in this forum way back then. I found out that APEX Motorsports moved but actually only to the other side of the building, LOL. But here is that original Dynajet data. I am excited about doing another dynajet session so I will try and get it done soon. Thanks for the idea man.
Attached Thumbnails My new N/A upgrades impressions-borla-pull.jpg  

Last edited by ZON; 09-19-2005 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:53 AM
barthelb
Master

A few of us are going to head to SAC, that's not too far from you. Timeslip would be nice to see how it really helps out your car. A few people from SP are going as well.

Also according to your dyno you made 239hp so your increase would be 40 right? Just want to make sure thats the "correct" info? Hope to see ya there.

Hey thanks Alberto. The 1/4 track is far for me and I can't say i would make it there. But I think I mentioned a before Gtech done and waiting for the after. I will get those comparisons put here but it will prolly be a week or two.

I had not thought of doing any pulls on a dynajet. I do have some pulls on one from 30,000 miles ago when I did the Borla. I think that is an excellent idea. I'll try and get that done. That dyno was at APEX Motorsport, I think that's the name but they moved. I can track them down I am sure.

I know we are far and that sucks.

Talk to ya' later.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:30 AM
ZON

Originally Posted by barthelb
A few of us are going to head to SAC, that's not too far from you. Timeslip would be nice to see how it really helps out your car. A few people from SP are going as well.

Also according to your dyno you made 239hp so your increase would be 40 right? Just want to make sure thats the "correct" info? Hope to see ya there.
When are you going?

The 60 whp is based on what the bone stock 350's are doing on Sp's Dastek load baseddyno. That one I posted above is from a Dynajet that we did a long time ago, Rob set up that session. It has my Z's base before Borla exhaust and after the Borla (239). I figure to use that as another way to measure this whole thing by going back to that Dynajet. But I think the best base on that Dynajet was 228.

Last edited by ZON; 09-21-2005 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

throbbing zon go run your car man. Im relly interested in what kinda trap speeds you pull-as traps are more a show of power, where as e.t.s are a show of traction. Would be crazy to see an NA Z pull 110 mph down the 1/4, I know I could do it if I added cams, a throttle body and headers.....

BTW ever consider doing a TB? They are cheap, and Im sure with your level of mods would give you a few hp....
Old 09-21-2005, 09:52 AM
ZON

throbbing zon go run your car man. Im relly interested in what kinda trap speeds you pull-as traps are more a show of power, where as e.t.s are a show of traction. Would be crazy to see an NA Z pull 110 mph down the 1/4, I know I could do it if I added cams, a throttle body and headers.....

BTW ever consider doing a TB? They are cheap, and Im sure with your level of mods would give you a few hp....

I'll try Alberto. It's not like I wouldn't want to. I'm married with children and that makes it tough to go 2 hours away on a week night when I work 45 minutes in the opposite direction from home, LOL!!! I'm gonna try cause the fun factor is killer

Err, sorry for my ignorance but what is a TB? Oh, a throttle body? I was thinking stroker kit but what the heck!!

Last edited by ZON; 09-21-2005 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:06 AM
barthelb
Master

Well that kinda makes sense now, We were thinking about setting up a Sac run in a couple weeks. Nothing is finalized tho, we just went to Infineon last week so everyone would appreciate a lil break. Oh and now all tires are on back order so who knows when I'll be ready. But as soon as everyone can get together, I love it when powerful Z's all meet up and everyone at the strip is like damn those things are quick.

I'll try Alberto. It's not like I wouldn't want to. I'm married with children and that makes it tough to go 2 hours away on a week night when I work 45 minutes in the opposite direction from home, LOL!!! I'm gonna try cause the fun factor is killer

Err, sorry for my ignorance but what is a TB? Oh, a throttle body? I was thinking stroker kit but what the heck!!
Old 09-21-2005, 10:38 AM
ZON

Originally Posted by barthelb
Well that kinda makes sense now, We were thinking about setting up a Sac run in a couple weeks. Nothing is finalized tho, we just went to Infineon last week so everyone would appreciate a lil break. Oh and now all tires are on back order so who knows when I'll be ready. But as soon as everyone can get together, I love it when powerful Z's all meet up and everyone at the strip is like damn those things are quick.
Well i don't think I'll be lining up with you FI guys.
Tires? Everybody I have those Falken GRB FK451's and they suck. Don't put those POS's on your car!!! I wonder if Ted has any track tires on wheels that will fit me. Oh I think I know he does.