Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My new N/A upgrades impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 11:25 PM
ZON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My new N/A upgrades impressions

I picked up my 2003 Touring 6 speed from Scott Performance in Santa Clara, Ca. this afternoon. When I got there the tuning was just being completed. I pulled up in my rental car and the Z was on it's final dyno pull. It sounded badass on the dyno!! My new mods are Scott Performance special grind cams for N/A, Unichip "piggy back" computer, Nismo headers, Kinetix plenum (the plastic one), Kinetix resonated test pipes.

First I wanted Scott Performance owner Ted Taormina to give me a ride in my Z before I drove it. I don't know why I wanted it that way except I guess I like the way he drives. After breaking the tires loose in first gear and pitching the tail end out impressively in the parking lot we get out on the road. 1st, 2nd, 3rd...their is so much pull I could tell right off the bat from the passenger seat. I knew it was revving a lot quicker.

WOW!!! I can't believe the results are so drastic from before all of this. When I drove it it was like a whole new ball game. I think the best way I can decribe it is it's like a super charged Z or G35 running 5 lbs boost or something like that. The torque is just there and all over the band like it never was before. Mid range gains are very impressive. And the "grunt" is a lot more prevelant and just never stops all the way from low end to high. From 5 thou and up to red line it just hit's big time!!! Like I can tell now that before the upgrades it seemed like a struggle for it up there. It was having a hard time breathing. It's just so different now.

What's more is that the idle is still very smooth!!! It's idling at about 740 rpm's. There is now a very nice rumble at idle and it of course is louder than when I just had the Borla (overall thru the power it is not as loud as I expected it to be, it's just about right for me). And all the way through to red line the power surge is just nice and smooth but it's just like raw horse power. That's it!! Raw Horse Power all over!!!!

I came back to work after leaving SP to finish some work and the side street parralleling the building is nice and wide, long and smooth. No cars traversing on it at the time. I came to a stop and managed a pretty good launch from about 2300 rpm. I managed no burn out but no bog off the line. It was then that I realized just how impressive this is. I run that road all the time just for kicks and now everything just happened so much faster...1st, 2nd, 3rd. I went back for more!!! The car just plain get's down now, the difference is huge!!!!! I am truly stoked.

Headers, test pipes, plenum, my Borla cat back and the Pop Charger. All good mods by themselves. But I know it is the cams and the Unichip and with the tuning Ted did on the Dastek load based dynamometer that really makes all the bolt on's actually work, or be all they can be so to speak.

These were my first impressions.

Thanks for reading and sharing this with me.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:32 PM
Jetpilot718

Nice writeup. Makes me kinda want to start NA modding instead of just saving up for FI. Seems like the thing that makes the difference is the tuning/dyno work to make everything play nice together. Enjoy the ride
Old 09-16-2005, 11:35 PM
ZON

Thanks!! And it's the cams too, mustn't forget the cams.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very Cool!

Do you have any idea of the spec's on the cams? Which blanks did you use? the NISMO blanks that are being sold?

nothings better then a powerfull NA motor!

Now, just have to work on handling, braking, and weight reduction!
Old 09-17-2005, 12:30 AM
slay2k

Hey boss,

Nice meeting ya the other day at SP.

Your write-up almost makes me wanna sell the turbos and put N/A mods on ;-)

Glad you're happy with your ride, congrats.

Romy
Old 09-17-2005, 01:24 AM
ZON

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
Very Cool!

Do you have any idea of the spec's on the cams? Which blanks did you use? the NISMO blanks that are being sold?

nothings better then a powerfull NA motor!

Now, just have to work on handling, braking, and weight reduction!
Hi again Jason

Yes I do know the cams are 7 thou over. I don't know what the duration is but I'll find out, i guess.
I don't know what blanks they are. I do know they were engineered by a man named Al Bertoni and the fellow who did the grind...his name escapes me but he does Bertoni's cams and stuff. Bertoni is a engineer who builds Ferrari race engines for the street and track. He is apparently a top Ferrari engine builder and I mean world renowned. He is local to the San Jose area, actually in Morgan Hill, Ca., I believe. So anyway he basically worked out these cams and I believe they are not like JWT or Nismo or whoever. The approach was decidedly different from those types and what we end up with is a smooth running motor at idle and all thru the rpm range. Of course like I stated the results are fantastic. Bertoni also developed the cams for the Scott Performance APS turbo motors that are doing miracles around here. Ted delivered a 500 bhp APS twin turbo 350z to a customer tonight. The motor is all stock but for cams and it's running water alcohol injection. It is running I think 13 lbs boost. You may have already read about it somewhere around here.

At this time I want to state that everything I have written here in this thread is absolutely no B.S. For once in my life somebody came thru for me and actually exceeded their very own expectations at the same time.
And at the moment this car is a one of a kind, just because it's the 1st 350Z with the Unichip and particular cams in a N/A application.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:42 AM
ZON

Originally Posted by slay2k
Hey boss,

Nice meeting ya the other day at SP.

Your write-up almost makes me wanna sell the turbos and put N/A mods on ;-)

Glad you're happy with your ride, congrats.

Romy
Hi Romy,

Good to here from you!! I enjoyed meeting and talking with you Thursday. Are you going to the Treasure Island meet this Sunday?
Their will be I believe 100+ Z's/G's there, well a heck of a lot anyway

Mike
Old 09-17-2005, 04:47 AM
350zWarz

sounds awesome, how much hp & torque did you put down on the dyno?
Old 09-17-2005, 05:21 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by 350zWarz
+1
Old 09-17-2005, 07:42 AM
Zexy

Yeah..And the dyno results?
Old 09-17-2005, 08:26 AM
05_350z_Enth

Also interested in the dyno results...

Glad to hear you are happy with the results.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:11 AM
ZON

Originally Posted by 350zWarz

Right!!! I was just waiting for someone to ask. We got 64 bhp over stock. The torque was a nice little 52 ft lbs, if my memory serves me on that one, but yes it was right in there. Stupidly I forgot to grab the sheets I had printed for myself so you will have to call me out on that one for now.
But the way the stock #'s were derived is his dyno took an average or "typical" of all the stock 350Z's that have been on the machine. That average # is 219 bhp at peak & it is a very narrow average, they were all in that ball park. My Z ended the tuning session with 279.6 bhp at 6500 rpm.
A/F is a sweet 12.4. Ted spent 3 hours on the Dastek tuning it.

If you don't know about a Dastek dyno it is very accurate, it is dead on. It is intended for tuning and actually derived from the company (DasteK) while trying to develope and test the Unichip. State of The Art load based magnetic resistance dynamometer, and their are not very many at all in the states.

Guys it is so fun now!!!
Old 09-17-2005, 10:24 AM
kosmic

If it's not too personal to ask, what was the total cost of the cams, unichip and dyno tuning?
Old 09-17-2005, 10:27 AM
ZON

Originally Posted by kosmic
If it's not too personal to ask, what was the total cost of the cams, unichip and dyno tuning?
You'll have to call them on that one, bro.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:28 AM
kosmic

Fair enough
Old 09-17-2005, 10:55 AM
slay2k

Originally Posted by throbbing_Zon
Hi Romy,

Good to here from you!! I enjoyed meeting and talking with you Thursday. Are you going to the Treasure Island meet this Sunday?
Their will be I believe 100+ Z's/G's there, well a heck of a lot anyway

Mike
Mike,

Gonna try and make it. As long as Ted comes through with the new bumper I think I'll be there =)

Then again, I have faith in him. He did your car the very next day... and he promised mine done before tomorrow.

So we'll see.

Romy
Old 09-17-2005, 11:11 AM
ZON

Originally Posted by slay2k
Mike,

Gonna try and make it. As long as Ted comes through with the new bumper I think I'll be there =)

Then again, I have faith in him. He did your car the very next day... and he promised mine done before tomorrow.

So we'll see.

Romy
Well Romy I know he was going to be there at 9:00 this morning but I don't know for what he was working on. Pray!!

Mike

edit: So it got painted already??? I admired that bumper facade. I need one cause mine is toast, as I showed you.

Last edited by ZON; 09-17-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Fletch69z

Wow! That sounds awesome! Congrats man!
Old 09-17-2005, 09:10 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right!!! I was just waiting for someone to ask. We got 64 bhp over stock. The torque was a nice little 52 ft lbs, if my memory serves me on that one, but yes it was right in there. Stupidly I forgot to grab the sheets I had printed for myself so you will have to call me out on that one for now.
But the way the stock #'s were derived is his dyno took an average or "typical" of all the stock 350Z's that have been on the machine. That average # is 219 bhp at peak & it is a very narrow average, they were all in that ball park. My Z ended the tuning session with 279.6 bhp at 6500 rpm.
A/F is a sweet 12.4. Ted spent 3 hours on the Dastek tuning it.

If you don't know about a Dastek dyno it is very accurate, it is dead on. It is intended for tuning and actually derived from the company (DasteK) while trying to develope and test the Unichip. State of The Art load based magnetic resistance dynamometer, and their are not very many at all in the states.

Guys it is so fun now!!!

Are you sure the numbers are bhp? Aren't these engines rated at 287bhp stock? I know Nissan may be a little optimistic, but 70hp? Doesn't the Dastek dyno display whp?

You'll have to call them on that one, bro.
Didn't you pay for the mods on your car? If you don't mind telling us, why do we need to call them? Why post all this info and then play the "You'll have to call them on that one" card?

Last edited by undrgnd; 09-17-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:12 PM
ZON

"Are you sure the numbers are bhp? Aren't these engines rated at 287bhp stock? I know Nissan may be a little optimistic, but 70hp? Doesn't the Dastek dyno display whp?"

Please excuse me, whp. You inspired my curiosity so i got out my calculator.
If the final dyno whp was 279.6 and the typical was 219 then the gain is 60.6 on the dyno. I believe I originally stated a 64 gain in whp. Sorry, my mistake.

"Didn't you pay for the mods on your car? If you don't mind telling us, why do we need to call them? Why post all this info and then play the "You'll have to call them on that one" card?"

I don't think you get it. The whole idea is to inspire you to call them!!!!!
Most of you probably will not, that's a given. If just a couple of you do my job is successfull. Don't worry, their is no snake oil here and I put my word and SP's reputation forward to you. I guarranty anyone who wants N/A and goes this route with SP will be completely satisfied. My mods were everything in my sig except the cat back and intake. Maybe you already have test pipes and headers and what not and I don't care what brand those are. What you don't have are these cams and the Unichip and don't be mistaken, those two things and the tune SP can do for them is exactly what I am trying to sell you on, period. But the thing is most of you won't be in the SF bay area with your cars anytime soon so what the heck!! I am talking to local folks and way distant peeps who can order the cams and go to their local Unichip tuner if they are so lucky enough to have one. Because if they have a authorized Unichip installer then they gotta have the Dastek. The great thing for us about SP is that it is a Z car G35 only shop, with the occasional Ferrari.

Today I took my friend/neighbor (he operates two auto shop's around here) on a lonely local road and I must say he was very inspired. And I was quite surprised when on the slight up hill slope, right before the slope angle increased a lot, we got a nice little churp as I cought 3rd, maybe no big deal but I mention it cause i remember it did put a big smile on my face. That was when I did a 0 to 100 run on that straight and I'm tellin' ya', this thing is a lot quicker, a lot quicker!!! I used to take that rode home from work every day before we moved to our new house a few months back.

And to answer the question about did I pay for this or not. Not a dime, nada!!!
I am not an SP employee, I have been sponsered.

Don't worry, you won't spend nearly as much as you would with Turbo's, no where near that at all, obviously. All the common bolt on's are probably what you normally pay and you can get those anywhere but to tell you the truth I don't even know what the cams and Unichip and tune would be. Cams are better than JWT or Nismo (that is my opinion) yet I bet they will be less expensive. I can't wait for more of you to come on board with SP for my kind of mods and even better my N/A Z. I love it!!!

Quick Reply: My new N/A upgrades impressions