Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Camber adjustment......look

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 03:14 PM
wadd3456

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber adjustment......look

I know some of you want to lower your rides, and may not fully understand how to adjust the camber after lowering. People keep saying "camber plate camber plate"

Well here is a neat little link to explain the install. http://www.maximacar.com/stillen_camber_plates.htm

Keep in mind this is on a maxima. My question is....WILL THIS PLATE WORK ON OUR CARS?!
Old 12-18-2002, 03:25 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No it won't work on the Z. Why, because we have upper & lower control arms in fixed mounting points. The Maxima & all other McPherson strut front ends have no upper control arm, the top of the strut is your top mounting point. Use an adjustable top mounting point & you change the camber. Use it on the Z and all you do is change the angle of the spring shock unit.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:14 PM
wadd3456

So when people come on the board saying they will sell us "camber plates." What are they talking about?
Old 12-18-2002, 07:48 PM
Michael-Dallas

The camber plate I'm referring to pushes the a-arm outward, thus adding positive camber. 300's have the same problem and the options are:

1- spend $300 on STILLEN adjustable a-arms (which have been known to "slip")
2- spend more money on Midori adjustable a-arms (they look nice, but IIRC, they cost like $600)
3- replace front tires every 5k or so miles

Other than that, 300 Degree (http://www.300degree.com) sells these aluminum plates that you install between the fender and stock a-arm; the kit also supplies longer bolts.

If you still don't know what I'm talking about, then hit me up w/ a PM and I'll take pics of the ones installed on my 300.

Michael.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:07 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WADD3456
As i explained camber plates or as the japs call them, adjustable pillowball mounts will do nothing on the Z. All the major Japanese
suspension Co's will have adjustable upper control arms out soon
to fit our cars. Some will adjust only camber & some camber & caster. Downshift the other racer on our forum has said they will be producing & selling adjustable arms soon.

VQ racer
The suspension set up we used at Bathusrt was OK but would be far to hard for the street. As the first race we went in was a 24hr
race absolute lap times were not as important as the sprint races coming up next year. We have just got our car back. It has been on display at Cullens Motors, Sydney's biggest Nissan dealer. We will be working on it full time now. I will keep you posted on developments. I am going up to Tokyo in early Jan for the Auto salon & will take my digital camera.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:37 PM
Driven

I was talking to Luke from TireRack the other day, and asking about this topic especially as to how the camber may affect a wider tire. I felt like a fish out of water, but he kind of laughed at others that had posted the camber is not able to be adjusted on the new Z. I tried to understand, but he kept "illuding" that any knowledgable mechanic can make any necessary adjustments necessary on the Z as on any car. I tried for a more specific answer...but never understood if he was saying there are options available ie. kits or adjustable arms etc...or if he was actually saying the car "as is" can be adjusted properly without them???
Old 12-22-2002, 03:26 AM
Thunderbolt
Charter Member #88

I have done alignments in my past has a Tech. If there are no adjustment allowances from the manufacture then you have to go to the aftermarket to see what they have or you take a die grinder and start enlongating some holes. You can add spring shims to adjust the cars ride height to change camber and you can bend control arms. I will wait for the aftermarket to come out with adjustable upper a-arms and do the alignment right
Old 12-22-2002, 10:43 AM
dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is our solution.........sorry for the bad picture...........
Its our new upper control arm which allows camber adjustment. Keep in ind this is just the first one. We are not allowed to run AL arms in our series.
Attached Thumbnails Camber adjustment......look-dscn0215.jpg