Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Which rods and pistons for N/A engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Z350Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thawk408
Just go with the AEBS 4.3 stroker and call it a day.
4.3 stocker kit will be too much for me to be honest... Peter Pilkington at Sydney Australia has done one to his car and when it is completely finished, I am sure Peter will be more than happy to share how this conversion goes... it is gotta be a killer on the track (his car is a pure race car, not for street).

cheers,

richie
Old 10-05-2005, 01:07 AM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z350Lover
Murray:

Thanks for the advices on the piston selections... that really helps! I spoke to Nizmo Pete regarding to the rods and the pistons selections for this upcoming rebuild... he told me that carrillo rods are lighter than stock and that's what I need for the N/A application... and it so happened that he had a spare set (since he has gone for the 4.3L stroker kit already in his "VQ43"), so I bought it off him this arvo (after nagging him for a whole day, he kindly sold it to me)... so the rods are set (as long as it is lighter than stock rods, I don't mind if they are H or A beams)...

Right now... I gotta look into piston selections as they are more difficult to select than the rods in my case with higher lift cams (11.0mm)... more researches will need to be done from here... so if anyone knows any good piston brands out there in the market, please kindly advise!!! Thanks heaps!

islandsnow:

I will pay attention to the oct. option mag mate... thanks a lot for the info!!!

cheers,

richie
Awesome,

The rods Peter had are Carillo A-Beams.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:29 AM
Z350Lover

Murray:

Thanks mate... that is good to hear!!!

check your PM at the other forum please!

cheers,

richie
Old 10-05-2005, 05:40 AM
rednezz

Hi Guys,

I am considering rebuilding my N/A motor again early next year and am wondering to know what rods should I use for the N/A application? I know I will need a lighter rods than stock items, but just don't know what brands to go for... and I am not going to rev up to 8K rpm, 7500rpm will be the max. that I would go for.

Also about the pistons too... I am looking for 11.5:1 or so compression ratio pistons to go into the engine too and which company should I contact for more information on the price and the specs? As I was told, I am only expecting to gain around 15rwKW (20rw HP) with those pistons and I am not expecting more than that.

thanks a lot of any input!

cheers,

richie

You might want to talk to sgpracing.com about what pistons you need. They do alot of engine building on the Z and are known for great work. Have you also thought about the JUN high compression stroker kit?

http://www.junauto.co.jp/news/index-e.html?000046

Have you also thought about going Ferrera oversized valvetrain?

Last edited by rednezz; 10-05-2005 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:55 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

ever look into the Esprit forged high Compression pistons? and a set of their cams?
http://www.memoryfab.com/detail/?id=5
http://www.memoryfab.com/detail/?id=3
Old 10-05-2005, 07:16 AM
thawk408

4.3 stocker kit will be too much for me to be honest... Peter Pilkington at Sydney Australia has done one to his car and when it is completely finished, I am sure Peter will be more than happy to share how this conversion goes... it is gotta be a killer on the track (his car is a pure race car, not for street).

cheers,

richie
Can you tell us his suspected power output?
Old 10-05-2005, 09:02 AM
ZON

cheers,

richie
Ah man, that's what I was going to say. I wish you would do it. I'd love to see that.

But that could really be the next big thing for my Z.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:18 AM
arizzee

Originally Posted by rednezz
You might want to talk to sgpracing.com about what pistons you need. They do alot of engine building on the Z and are known for great work. Have you also thought about the JUN high compression stroker kit?

http://www.junauto.co.jp/news/index-e.html?000046

Have you also thought about going Ferrera oversized valvetrain?
Actually, kit JUN 3.8 Stroker Kit is a turbo setup, 8.4:1 compression. You could buy the crank and rods, but you'd have to source your own pistons for NA. (the above comment is based on reading the tables and descriptions contained in the above weblink. If I got it wrong, let me know ).
Old 10-05-2005, 01:03 PM
ReavTek

Sounds like a nice little project, very few owners do much with NA on this car. Which is a shame seeing as how this car is so fun to drive NA. What octane gas will you haveta run with your high comp setup?
Old 10-05-2005, 01:48 PM
rednezz

Originally Posted by arizzee
Actually, kit JUN 3.8 Stroker Kit is a turbo setup, 8.4:1 compression. You could buy the crank and rods, but you'd have to source your own pistons for NA. (the above comment is based on reading the tables and descriptions contained in the above weblink. If I got it wrong, let me know ).
Further down the page Jun sells the Super Pistons kit which are high compression pistons. I am sure you could substitute the low compression pistons with the high compression pistons. I am thinking really hard about going that route since I mostly use my car for track events. The only thing holding me back is finding someone who can tune it without having to ship my car off.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Z350Lover

Thanks for all the info guys!!! I will look into that now... But regards to JUN Super Piston set, I only see a set for Turbo Application though... there seems to have nothing just yet for the N/A Z...

As for the Esprit pistons, Peter and I found it too pricey... we should be able to find something similar with a better price than that though... Thanks alot!

thawk408:

I am not too sure what is the suspected output though, it will be good for Peter (he was also the first one to fit those nismo heads on his race motor)
to answer this question for you himself.

cheers,

richie
Old 10-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cheers,

richie
Not quite right Richie

My motor is using the AEBS 101.5mm sleeves with custom Ross pistons & with the stock 81.4mm stroke has engine capacity of 3949cc.
As the motor build is intended for Road Racing, strong & lightweight internals were required & I decided to use the Carrillo rods instead of the much heavier Pauter rod (Crower & Eagle were not available at that time).
Unfortunatly when the Ross pistons arrived they were made with a larger than stock piston pin. I looked at putting a bigger bush in the Carrillo rod but decided against it as it would have been a weak point.
Instead I had some rods made here in Sydney by Par Engineering ( www.par-engineering.com ) & they did a beautifull job.
So Ritchi, my missfortune was your gain.
Some of you may wonder as to why I never went with the Aebs crank, Well as I said before the motor is to be used in some endurance racing & the long stroke motor adds an undesirable rod angle ratio.( OK for a turbocharged trip down the strip but not for many hours of 7.5K revs on the track.)
I am using the 46cc Nismo heads with titanium valves & custom ground cams with simmiler specs to the Porche GT3 cup motor.
I was going to manage it with a MoTeC, but as the Utec by Turbo Xs is designed & made here in Sydney, I will trial one of these before going the much more expensive route.
We should be on the dyno very soon.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Z350Lover

Thanks peter.... I cannot wait to see the rods here next week!!!

It will be very interesting to see some good results with Utec and it shall benefit more Zed tunings!

cheers,

richie
Old 10-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

For NA applications, the light-weight and cost effective Eagle rod would be perfect. They are about the same weight as stock, but they are much lighter than other forged rods on the market, such as Pauter. For pistons we can make them in the material of your choice, and the compression ratio of your choice.

McChapman bought a set of Eagle rods, and Arias Extreme duty high compression pistons for his particular application. This will be a very effective combo for his goals, and can still take FI or nitrous as needed....depending on the level of tune, and the octane of the fuel.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Z350Lover

Sharif:

I spoke to Murray about that as well... I will also be looking into Arias 11.5:1 custom built pistons (high silicone AL)... with that type of pistons, do we always need to bore out 0.02 to make the engine works quieter because I won't want to have a noisy engine for my daily though (only done 25000km so far)...

I will be also thinking about getting the main and head studs too...

It is quite scary.. the more I find out about what I need to have a stronger engine with higher CR... the higher the bill becomes now...

cheers,

richie

Last edited by Z350Lover; 10-06-2005 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nathan,
please do keep us informed. I have been more than a little curious of a punched out NA motor's potential, and if I read correctly, you have done this with the Nismo competition heads, titanium valves and a stand-alone? wow. I am sure everyone on this board would love to know the outcome.
Will
Old 10-06-2005, 05:39 PM
thawk408

Sharif:

I spoke to Murray about that as well... I will also be looking into Arias 11.5:1 custom built pistons (high silicone AL)... with that type of pistons, do we always need to bore out 0.02 to make the engine works quieter because I won't want to have a noisy engine for my daily though (only done 25000km so far)...

I will be also thinking about getting the main and head studs too...

It is quite scary.. the more I find out about what I need to have a stronger engine with higher CR... the higher the bill becomes now...

cheers,

richie
Whats the difference in the high silicone and low silicone? The AEBS stroker kit that I was looking at said that it comes with low silicone.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:54 PM
nuff

I think the main difference is how much the pistons expand, the high silicon would be a lot quieter and better as a daily driver since they expand a lot less. I could be wrong on that so don't quote me.

Also, does UTEC support VTC tunning?
Old 10-06-2005, 08:01 PM
Z350Lover

I am not too sure if UTEC supports VTC tuning though...

I am just wondering to know... will High compression pistons make the engine run rougher or smoother? Say that the detonations/pinnings are taken care of, what other things should I expect from high compression engine besides slightly more power? Will the engine run reliablely as stock engine with good tunings?

I cannot seem to find other things besides fuel type/ignition timing issue regarding to running higher compression engine though... I meant... I will ask the same question for running a set of lower compression pistons too... those pistons just change the efficiency of how engine runs and that's all? nothing more? any help will be appreciated!

cheers,

richie
Old 10-06-2005, 08:24 PM
UsafaRice

I am not too sure if UTEC supports VTC tuning though...

I am just wondering to know... will High compression pistons make the engine run rougher or smoother? Say that the detonations/pinnings are taken care of, what other things should I expect from high compression engine besides slightly more power? Will the engine run reliablely as stock engine with good tunings?

I cannot seem to find other things besides fuel type/ignition timing issue regarding to running higher compression engine though... I meant... I will ask the same question for running a set of lower compression pistons too... those pistons just change the efficiency of how engine runs and that's all? nothing more? any help will be appreciated!

cheers,

richie
The engine will be a little harder to start, but the stock system should have no problem with a charged battery.

I've also heard that higher CR may increase the efficiency of the engine, raising the fuel economy.

And finally, I have an old issue of Option with the Esprit 11.5:1 CR kit and cams, and they are making like 360 horses. High CR + good cams + high revs = as much power as a turbo at ~6psi.

Quick Reply: Which rods and pistons for N/A engine?