Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Which rods and pistons for N/A engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 10:14 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nuff
I think the main difference is how much the pistons expand, the high silicon would be a lot quieter and better as a daily driver since they expand a lot less. I could be wrong on that so don't quote me.

Also, does UTEC support VTC tunning?
Not yet, but as far as im aware they are able to see it (they mentioned it was alot more advanced than Subaru or Mitsubishi's VTC) and may release the functionality at a later date. Let hope they do as this would really benefit motors with big cams, allowing them to retain low end torque and pass emissions tests when combined with the Nismo VTC pulleys.

Last edited by mchapman; 10-06-2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:13 PM
thawk408

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UsafaRice
The engine will be a little harder to start, but the stock system should have no problem with a charged battery.

I've also heard that higher CR may increase the efficiency of the engine, raising the fuel economy.

And finally, I have an old issue of Option with the Esprit 11.5:1 CR kit and cams, and they are making like 360 horses. High CR + good cams + high revs = as much power as a turbo at ~6psi.
I wounder what port and polish along with 1mm oversize vavles would do to that power.

Also, a turbo at 6psi would put down 360rwhp. The Esprit engine is 360 crank.

Last edited by thawk408; 10-06-2005 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Z350Lover

Originally Posted by mchapman
Not yet, but as far as im aware they are able to see it (they mentioned it was alot more advanced than Subaru or Mitsubishi's VTC) and may release the functionality at a later date. Let hope they do as this would really benefit motors with big cams, allowing them to retain low end torque and pass emissions tests when combined with the Nismo VTC pulleys.
Murray:

Do you guys need to get the car checked out every year up there in NSW?

cheers,

richie
Old 10-07-2005, 04:43 AM
mchapman

No but I believe its possible for Police to do a quick test and they defect you until you get a proper test done and pass. If that happens you could always swap the heads to some with normal cams in them, go do the test, then throw the other heads back on. Also sometimes I believe you need an emissions test if your getting an engine transplant engineered, not sure if this is the same for engine mods being engineered.

Ive never been tested or seen anyone be tested but my mate has so it can happen. Cams are the one mod that will make you fail an emissions test but with VTC this should be different as it can allow you to recycle the exhaust gases, like a EGR valve, for cleaner emissions.

Last edited by mchapman; 10-07-2005 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:11 AM
Z350Lover

Police normally will not carry out test on the engine unless the engine bay looks/sounds like a lot of works have been done to it... with the works that you are going to do, I think the engine will still idle, sound and look like a stock one as well...

Vic police normally doesn't do that type of test... at least I have not heard anyone got that problem... the most common problems are the exposed filters under the bonnet, loud exhaust and the ride height issues down here...

cheers,

richie
Old 10-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I would go with Arias pistons (we can order custom bore, custom CR, and custom coating if you want it ready straight from Arias) and Carrillo A-Beam connecting rods.

Let me know if you need either of these parts, Richie.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by thawk408
I wounder what port and polish along with 1mm oversize vavles would do to that power.

Also, a turbo at 6psi would put down 360rwhp. The Esprit engine is 360 crank.
Typically, any turbo kit for the 350Z should put down that kind of power at around 6 PSI. However, APS has a built motor 350Z (one of at least two) with around 530 RWHP at 6.5 PSI.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:36 PM
ALong

Richie, just when I think you have the coolest Z, you make it cooler!! I'm definately going to have to come down to OZ to check out your car and of course go to Bathurst!
Old 10-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Z350Lover

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
I would go with Arias pistons (we can order custom bore, custom CR, and custom coating if you want it ready straight from Arias) and Carrillo A-Beam connecting rods.

Let me know if you need either of these parts, Richie.
Thanks mate... I have got the Carrillo A-beam rods from Peter (Nathan) from Sydney... and the only thing main thing left will be pistons... Arias is definitely one of my choices and I gotta look into what compression I need (don't want to go too wild either) and what coating will be the best at this stage.. will definitely contact you when I go Arias mate!

Originally Posted by ALong
Richie, just when I think you have the coolest Z, you make it cooler!! I'm definately going to have to come down to OZ to check out your car and of course go to Bathurst!
Thanks mate... I am trying to make my bottom end stronger (last longer too with high revs) and am thinking since the engine will be open next year, I might as well look into different pistons... and start gathering parts way before the rebuild job. Still haven't decided when to do that just yet though, my only main concern of the piston job will be just the driveability of the car which I need to speak to more engine builders to get some opinions.

cheers,

richie
Old 10-07-2005, 11:39 PM
mchapman

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
Typically, any turbo kit for the 350Z should put down that kind of power at around 6 PSI. However, APS has a built motor 350Z (one of at least two) with around 530 RWHP at 6.5 PSI.
I think your mistaking this for the 530rwhp 6.5psi LS1/LS2 Monaro/GTO they have.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I think your mistaking this for the 530rwhp 6.5psi LS1/LS2 Monaro/GTO they have.
http://www.*********.com/forums/inde...opic=11129&hl=

That's the video I am referring to. I see now the link of the video is to a GTO video.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:04 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Hey Richie, our Extreme Duty Arias design is going to be a few grams heavier than standard duty, and you have to run slightly larger piston to wall clearances. I have run and tune engines with this piston design, and I am happy to report that there is no meaningful increase in engine noise, piston slap, etc. As Brandon mentioned, we can have them made in any CR, with coatings, if you like (I like Moly coatings), and any bore size.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:34 PM
Z350Lover

Posting pictures of Carrillo A-Beam rods that I have got... they are so light and looks very strong and promising too!!! It will be good for my N/A rebuild I would say...

Thank you guys... I've decided to leave the piston design to Simon at Nizpro (www.nizpro.com.au) who is doing the engine rebuild for me this time for the warranty purpose (he is going to get a set made locally)... I know that we have decided to go for 11.5:1 and the valve cuts on the pistons will be slightly deeper than stock (just in case that I might want to run higher lift than 11mm cams later, so don't need to get the engine out again)...

Will keep you guys posted!

cheers,

richie
Attached Thumbnails Which rods and pistons for N/A engine?-rod1.jpg   Which rods and pistons for N/A engine?-rod2.jpg   Which rods and pistons for N/A engine?-rod3.jpg  
Old 10-24-2005, 12:06 AM
mchapman

Very nice, please keep us updated as you progress.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Nismo 350z

How much hp are putting at the crank with ur steup ?
Old 10-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Z350Lover

Nismo 350z

I am not too sure though... but it should be somewhere around 255KW = 346HP at the engine... because I gained around 52rwKW = 70rwHP with my current setup... so the figure should be conservative here...

I am not aiming for heaps with high CR pistons, want a stronger bottom end to rev up now.

Murray:

When are you going to rebuild the engine? I guess I will only do it after you have yours done though... scheduled for 9th of Jan next year...

cheers,

richie

Last edited by Z350Lover; 10-25-2005 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:11 PM
mchapman

I dont have an exact date, im buying parts and will build when I have all of them.

Just got these

Old 10-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Z350Lover

HolyC... they are beautiful mate! Good on ya!!! Love those pistons!

btw, do you know what's the diff between A-beam and I-beam? Thanks!

cheers,

richie

Last edited by Z350Lover; 10-25-2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by Z350Lover
HolyC... they are beautiful mate! Good on ya!!! Love those pistons!

btw, do you know what's the diff between A-beam and I-beam? Thanks!

cheers,

richie
He has the H-Beam Carrillo rods. The very basic difference is strength, probably due to different materials and based on price.

Now I know why Sharif is always saying sometimes they just look too pretty to put in the engine! Those pics are great!
Old 10-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Hey...I think I recognize these items. I am glad they made it safely across the pacific. Enjoy!

This is the first set of "higher" compression pistons I have had Arias make for me. They are 10.0:1 and also the Extreme Duty design. Notice the valve relief machining, and the fine detail on the crown.

I dont have an exact date, im buying parts and will build when I have all of them.

Just got these

Quick Reply: Which rods and pistons for N/A engine?