Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

If you were to start all over from scratch on ur 350z....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005 | 04:29 AM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member
Premier Member

if i had the money....

fully built NA Engine

3.8 or 4.3 stroker kit....
all forged internals
aggresive cams
head work
high comp pistons (maybe 11:1+)
test pipes
cat-back
headers
plenum
cai
pulley
radiator
thermostat
ecu reflash
3.9 final drive

and a goal of 325-350 whp
Old 10-06-2005 | 08:09 AM
ReavTek

NA is definetly the way to go. Nothing beats the response, sounds, feel, and balance of a finely tuned NA machine. FI needs a built motor on this car, period. Unless you are going for an HKS Rotrex Supercharger, or a Stillen Stage 1 or 2 SC you need to be built. This costs a buttload of money and everytime you stomp on the gas you will be hoping to god that kink noise you heard was just a pebble hitting your undercarriage and not a chunk of your motor. My suggestions:

Daily Driver:
Intake, Exhaust (Y-Pipe, Mid-Pipe, and Muffler), Headers, Lightweight Flywheel, Street Cams, Handling mods (Sways, Braces, Shock/Spring), Wider wheels and grippier rubber (don't go up from stock diameter, stay 18" or 17").

All-Out:
Everything above, instead of intake put in individual throttle bodies, Cams (268 and above!), Standalone ECU, Dry Carbon body pieces, Roll Cage, 3.9 Final Drive, Raise RPM (7200), forged rods and rod bolts.

Other Options:
I really like the HKS Supercharger for the simple fact that you bolt it in and forget it. It runs really low boost so you shouldn't have to worry. The only thing is you can't change anything on your car, the car has to be pretty much stock (with the exception of an exhaust).
Old 10-06-2005 | 08:49 AM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by Daytona350Texas
o and i just noticed ur from austin, ill be moving there in may to goto UT maybe we can hit it up and race sometime
Cool! Im a UT grad myself. I like the nismo exhaust alot, couldnt be happier. It was an easy install and the sound is great. Deeper than stock by a little and the sound at WOT fills the cabin with melody. Honestly im so used to it by now i dont think i could ever go back to stock.
Austin also has a pretty good Z club nd a few of them are memebers on here like harvesterUT, solidsnake, and tortuga. www.czot.org.
Old 10-06-2005 | 10:03 AM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ReavTek

All-Out:
Everything above, instead of intake put in individual throttle bodies, Cams (268 and above!), Standalone ECU, Dry Carbon body pieces, Roll Cage, 3.9 Final Drive, Raise RPM (7200), forged rods and rod bolts.

personally I'd just go with a kit car that's already got that stuff built into it's design with the car weighing a lot less and a much stronger engine for about half the price of all that and still look more exotic. This one for instance http://factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits/GTM/GTMkit.html
http://factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits...tmgallery.html
$40k, you build it. 2250 lbs. Rear engine, RWD. 350-515hp Can be made street legal. Will kill any NA Z.

I mean, you're probably going with painting most of the Z anyway cause of body kit stuff, the engine you'd build for FI would be a totally new thing. You'll need an EMS, you'll want a hardcore suspension setup. Why buy a Z just to replace all those parts instead of buying a more custom car from the start? You'll have to put a lot of hours/labor/headaches into either one right?

IMO I don't think the Z is an ideal race platform. Sure it can be done though....

Last edited by sentry65; 10-06-2005 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-06-2005 | 12:24 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by sentry65
isn't a 2 way LSD not useful for drag racing? Isn't 1.5 way fine?also the stock car is about as good as you'll get for drag racing. The more aero parts you put on, the more drag you get. That drag is for downforce - used for cornering mainly when you're going like 80+mph around a corner and could use some extra downforce to stick better. Downforce slows you down in a straight line and by the time you reach 80+mph traction probably isn't as big of an issue - actually you want less drag cause that's where straight line racing will start slowing you down another thing, why do you need a turbo/SC for autox? I mean really? don't you think the 3.9 gearing would do you better than having 100 lbs of added weight up front killing your quick handling (what you need in autox right?) And most FI kits will not get enough traction at least on street tires in slow speed courses honestly if I were to do it all over again, I wouldn't have even got the Z and would have went with a different car.... The Z just isn't a platform that gives you a lot of solid improvement for the money you spend on mods. You spend big bux on FI only to find out you don't have traction and can't go faster than 12's on street tires
Well wasn't this personal opinion based? Anyway I have went with the 2 Way LSD for the option to be able to get sideways easier as well (hence for open drift events)... I think once again it is not easy to say 1.5 or 2 is better for drag... I think that depends on many other things. Also depends on the aero parts to help reduce drag or increase down force (I think you had the wrong thing in mind when you read that). You can bring exactly whatever you have to bring to a Auto-X, but I would (once again personal opinion) go more to auto-x after boost along with some other mods... And with the S/C get that extra umph down low, I have many friends who Auto-X stock... But seem to enjoy it alot more after mods like boost for example.

It all depends on the driver, just cause you have it doesn't mean you have to use it (reffering to such things as loss of traction or the fact not everyone isn't looking to just go fast just what you need to make you more quick).

IMO I don't think the Z is an ideal race platform. Sure it can be done though....
Curious, what would you consider to be a "ideal race platform"
Old 10-06-2005 | 12:35 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

I'm not sure of any aero parts that aid in reducing drag to below the .29 drag coefficient. Most that I know of are there for adding downforce. Maybe more downforce is needed for certain cars.

I was commenting on the parts you picked for drag racing specifically and parts you picked for autox. IMO it sounded a little off to me. For the purposes of drag racing, why do you want to go sideways with a 2-way LSD? If that's a personal preference, then yeah I'd personally prefer not to go sideways in a drag race.

I'm sure a lot of people do enjoy having a SC for autox. IMO they'd get better times with a ligher flywheel and 3.9 gearing and better braking without the added 100 lbs of FI and worse offset car balance. I'm not going to dispute the fun factor though. For most of us that's probably the most important thing.
Old 10-06-2005 | 12:44 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Peking
Curious, what would you consider to be a "ideal race platform"

a car that isn't pretty much maxed out with engine power in stock form.

A chasis that isn't so heavy and has no hope of really getting lighter

A car that if you add a FI kit which is about 100 lbs, it won't be at the front of the car. If you have a rear engine car and add 100 lbs of FI kit to it, because the engine sits over the rear tires that's 100 lbs of MORE traction, not 100 lbs of LESS traction.

it'd be nice to be able to put on 325 or 345mm tires on the rear and wider tires up front if needed.

AWD is good for putting big power down to the ground

The Z's gearing is really aggressive which is great for stock, but sucks for big power.

The Z's engine isn't bombproof. Sure it's a lightweight aluminum open deck block, it won't handle boost like an inline closed deck iron block. I don't care what material the engine is made out of as far as weight goes if the chasis was light enough to compensate for the added engine weight

The Z's ECU is horrible with bolt on parts and is really more concerned with emissions and good mpg than good solid consistent power delivery.

The Z's 53/47 weight distribution is more oriented for road courses during cornering than straight line accelleration. That's fine, but IMO I'd rather have the weight favor the rear and set up the suspension to compensate for it in corners. Cause at least then you have balance in corners and the extra rear traction when you need it

Last edited by sentry65; 10-06-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-06-2005 | 01:37 PM
Peking

I'm not sure of any aero parts that aid in reducing drag to below the .29 drag coefficient. Most that I know of are there for adding downforce. Maybe more downforce is needed for certain cars.
I was commenting on the parts you picked for drag racing specifically and parts you picked for autox. IMO it sounded a little off to me. For the purposes of drag racing, why do you want to go sideways with a 2-way LSD? If that's a personal preference, then yeah I'd personally prefer not to go sideways in a drag race.
I'm sure a lot of people do enjoy having a SC for autox. IMO they'd get better times with a ligher flywheel and 3.9 gearing and better braking without the added 100 lbs of FI and worse offset car balance. I'm not going to dispute the fun factor though. For most of us that's probably the most important thing.
First off maybe I should have gone into great detail as to not throw anyone off, aero additions or changes similiar to what you would see many professional drag cars. Not aggressive run of the mill kits, sorry for that confusion. I was being incredible general with my personal thoughts, and grouped drag with auto-x because ideally if I could afford all of those things I would be able to do both more often (and most likley tow my car there ). And maybe you missed what followed after my "sideways" comment, where I did mention for trips to drift events.

Once agian my personal opinions, which were not to specific.
Old 10-06-2005 | 01:39 PM
Peking

a car that isn't pretty much maxed out with engine power in stock form.

A chasis that isn't so heavy and has no hope of really getting lighter

A car that if you add a FI kit which is about 100 lbs, it won't be at the front of the car. If you have a rear engine car and add 100 lbs of FI kit to it, because the engine sits over the rear tires that's 100 lbs of MORE traction, not 100 lbs of LESS traction.

it'd be nice to be able to put on 325 or 345mm tires on the rear and wider tires up front if needed.

AWD is good for putting big power down to the ground

The Z's gearing is really aggressive which is great for stock, but sucks for big power.

The Z's engine isn't bombproof. Sure it's a lightweight aluminum open deck block, it won't handle boost like an inline closed deck iron block. I don't care what material the engine is made out of as far as weight goes if the chasis was light enough to compensate for the added engine weight

The Z's ECU is horrible with bolt on parts and is really more concerned with emissions and good mpg than good solid consistent power delivery.

The Z's 53/47 weight distribution is more oriented for road courses during cornering than straight line accelleration. That's fine, but IMO I'd rather have the weight favor the rear and set up the suspension to compensate for it in corners. Cause at least then you have balance in corners and the extra rear traction when you need it
Huh? Ok... I understand where you are coming from... Kinda a technical person aren't ya lol.
Old 10-06-2005 | 08:35 PM
gatti-man

damn sentry. You going to sell your Z soon? Every post ive seen you in lately has you showing discontentment with the Z. Did that EU sour your drive for the Z?
Old 10-06-2005 | 09:35 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

don't hate the Z and not selling mine, just being honest.
Old 10-07-2005 | 02:11 PM
ReavTek

Yeah sentry is being honest. I posted my opinions on the basis that you wanted to keep the Z and mod it out. Some ppl just get attached to certain cars and haveta go all out with them (like my obsession with the 240Z). I think for my Z I will be doing a fair amount of bolt ons but will probably hold out on Itbs or a standalone ECU cause its not really worth all that cash. If I want a highway monster I'll get a 240Z and drop a crate motor in it. If I eventually want to go insanely fast on the track I will get an Ariel Atom! But, for now I want something fast, fun, and sexy, that is the Z.
Old 10-07-2005 | 02:34 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

yeah, I mean I'm STILL spending money modding my Z cause it's just something I like doing - taking something and making it better. Any more money I spend on power (for NA) is just going to be insignificant gains.

right now I'm mainly upgrading handling and heat management types of stuff which should be a tremendous help seeing my 03 suspension is about as bouncy as my fiance's jeep. Not sure what nissan was smoking with the 03 suspension to think it was good. Anyway I knew I'd replace it so I knew what I was getting into when I sold my 04 5AT entusiast and got my 03 track model.

so really, adding a few bolt ons is fine - who doesn't want a cooler looking and sounding engine with some more hp?

Just saying that if you're going to really go nuts with this car and dump big money into getting more power, you're in for a fight against the car's design.

IMO nissan made a GREAT car in stock form. It's an all-round sportscar that gives you everything a sports car should have. It just doesn't do any one thing particularly well and when people set up the car to be more oriented towards one thing - straight line speed, or great handling you run into problems. You can't lighten up the car enough to be KILLER at handling and you can add more power, but the nature of the car and gearing prevent it from being KILLER in that catagory as well.

IMO I consider it more of a scaled down ferrari in nature. It's a high tech, great looking car that has good speed and handling, but not the best at either

Last edited by sentry65; 10-07-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2005 | 06:15 PM
overZealous1

well looking at the money i have into mine now, i should have gotten a used Z06!!!! hahahaha