Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

05 "High Rev" Motors.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 07:30 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrider
...My comments were not evoked by the product, but by the bashing Motordyne has done to a competitor. So, unless you know what you're talking about, button it.

Lou
So it must be just fine with you when Crawford does it eh?... And after a year of mud slinging from Crawford employees (Pheonixinx or Vandy) either impuning the authenticity of my dynos or outright saying plenum spacers are snake oil.
Or when Crawford sponsorees like Neffster are personally coached on the phone by Doug... So when I finally react to it all (a year later), you come come on here to make it sound like Doug is innocent of instigating and promoting exactly what you accuse me of. It's hippocritical of you... but not surprising.

Lou, you are part of the Crawford team. Isn't your car featured on the Crawford website???
http://www.crawfordz.com/pics/versio...cutcover-2.jpg

When an independant/objective person who is aware of the long history of the Crawford mud slinging campaign tells me I over reacted, I will listen.
In fact, I already know I over reacted.

Now I am done with you and the rest of the Crawford mud slingers. You can throw all the mud you want.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:25 PM
lowrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Lou, you are part of the Crawford team. Isn't your car featured on the Crawford website???
http://www.crawfordz.com/pics/versio...cutcover-2.jpg

When an independant/objective person who is aware of the long history of the Crawford mud slinging campaign tells me I over reacted, I will listen.
In fact, I already know I over reacted.

Now I am done with you and the rest of the Crawford mud slingers. You can throw all the mud you want.
OK, I'm in Tucson, and I'm part of the Crawford "Team" How the hell is that possible I've never met Doug in person, and I've never seen his shop. Never met you either, but I know I don't like you

As far as my Engine cover being on the Crawford site, I posted that picture right here on this site, showing how I cut my cover with a dremel tool to accommodate the Crawford Plenum, Doug saw it, and asked if he could use it. Simple as that.

However, believe and say what you will. It appears the truth means little to you.

Lou
Old 12-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Z_xtc

O.k., I have read this entire thread, cover to cover, word for word. Lots of good info., flaming aside. However, I noticed a couple of discrepancies here and there. For example, early on in the thread someone mentions that the new Track is heavier than the first ones, and then someone replied that this is incorrect. Not true. My 04.5 Track comes in a little over 3200 lbs., whereas the o6 Track is - according to Nissan's own website - 3370 lbs. I'm no mathemetician, but that sure looks like a weight gain to me! Furthermore, I noticed that the 06 Track has 19" rear wheels as opposed to my 18" ultralight Rays, so there's a well known power-reducer too; a bigger wheel which acts like a taller rear end gear basically.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:58 AM
lowrider

Originally Posted by Z_xtc
O.k.,I noticed that the 06 Track has 19" rear wheels as opposed to my 18" ultralight Rays, so there's a well known power-reducer too; a bigger wheel which acts like a taller rear end gear basically.
Nope - A bigger wheel, but a smaller sidewall series tire (45 vs 35 series). The 18s came with a 245/45/18 which is about 26.7" OD. The 19" on the '06 is 265/35/19 or about 26.3" in OD. Or slighter shorter; a 275/35/19, would have been closer in OD to the old 18" size.

Lou
Old 12-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Z_xtc

Originally Posted by Z_xtc
O.k., I have read this entire thread, cover to cover, word for word. Lots of good info., flaming aside. However, I noticed a couple of discrepancies here and there. For example, early on in the thread someone mentions that the new Track is heavier than the first ones, and then someone replied that this is incorrect. Not true. My 04.5 Track comes in a little over 3200 lbs., whereas the o6 Track is - according to Nissan's own website - 3370 lbs. I'm no mathemetician, but that sure looks like a weight gain to me! Furthermore, I noticed that the 06 Track has 19" rear wheels as opposed to my 18" ultralight Rays, so there's a well known power-reducer too; a bigger wheel which acts like a taller rear end gear basically.
Oops . . . hit "submit" instead of "preview," my bad. To continue . . .

Both of these factors together - more weight + bigger wheels in rear - would probably more than make up for the few extra hp on the revup, or so it would seem (300 - 287 = 13 Flywheel hp) is why I'd sure like to see what gets down the 1/4 faster; an 04 Track, or an 06 Revup Track, all considered, and all else being equal ? (Note: Can't find any info. suggesting that Nissan dropped the rear end gears to compensate, but perhaps they did.)

Another discrepancy I noticed is again, earlier on (I waited until the end to say anything in case it was covered later on in the same thread). Someone said something to the effect that putting a Revup lower plenum on a 287 motor won't make more power and in fact might make less. Well . . .

I have an 04 Track that had a Kinetix v4 that had to come off due to leaking issues, and in the process encountered two hex-head bolts (supplied from Kinetix that go in the center of the lower plenum) that were seized and could not be removed. So a new lower plenum had to be ordered. I spent many hours researching the different ways to go on plenums, and after seeing the Plenum Shootout from Sports Z Mag. I decided to go with the Revup Lower Plenum to replace my 287 Lower, because it performed very well in the shootout; better than the v4, and, is a Nissan part which i personally like the idea of (trying to stay under the warranty radar!). If I remember correctly, this was not on a 287 motor with a TS reflash, so upper rpm's weren't even reflected completely. But, since the Revup Lower Plenum is designed to be for a higher reving motor, I can only assume it would do even better up top (until i see actual results posted otherwise).

And about all the slagging and flaming: It's good, and bad. By that i mean it's good because competition drives the market and sometimes extra motivation to do even more and even better comes from "being poked with a sharp stick" so to speak, if nothing else because of the "I'll show YOU" factor! The bad side is obvious; it clouds the issue and subject matter at hand, and dilutes the content of what we power-hungry z-owners are eager to hear about.

In case anybody's wondering about the outcome: I have a really cool dealer to work with, who agreed to put on the Revup Plenum on my 04.5 Track, and also the Motordyne Iso-Thermal Gasket set, and, the Copper TB Heater + the CCV (for extended summer months). All proceedures and torque spec's were followed.

I drove it for an hour back home in heavy traffic, so I deemed that my "breakin period" since I couldn't do much about it(!). A little later on after getting back into town, I took 'er out for a spin and did a long pull slightly uphill throughout 3rd & 4th gears. Right after that i noticed the service engine light had come on, and the idle speed went up to a little over 1k. It did not go into "safe" mode though, thank goodness. Anyway, after thorougly checking for leaks and such and nothing was found, I pulled the codes which were 113 (IAT or Intake Air Temp. sensor), and 420 (Catalyst System, Bank 1). My frown quickly turned into a smile, when I realized that the 113 code meant the ecu was in effect saying "Hey! What's all this cold air doing in here all the way down in the intake manifold . . . especially on a hot engine???" Pretty much a direct confirmation that the Iso-Thermal Intake Gasket + Copper TB Heater + the Lower Revup Plenum are doing a helluva job getting larger volumes of colder air all the way down to the manifold, and, confirms what I was told of the need for a TS ecu "touchup" to program it to be able to handle the larger volumes of much colder air without flipping out and pulling codes.

As soon as TS opens back up from the holidays I'm shipping my ecu back for the reflash touchup, which should make it all come together.

Now, my question is, if the statement in the earlier post inferring that the Revup Plenum does no good on a 287 motor is true, then why does the Sports Z shootout indicate otherwise, and why is it being sold this very minute as a mod FOR a 287 motor and there's a whole thread about that very subject?

(excuse the "Worlds Longest Post" here but like I said, I kept my mouth shut for the entire thread!)
Old 12-26-2005, 12:14 PM
Z_xtc

Originally Posted by lowrider
Nope - A bigger wheel, but a smaller sidewall series tire (45 vs 35 series). The 18s came with a 245/45/18 which is about 26.7" OD. The 19" on the '06 is 265/35/19 or about 26.3" in OD. Or slighter shorter; a 275/35/19, would have been closer in OD to the old 18" size.

Lou
Gotcha . . . well, that explains how they dealt with the bigger rear wheels anyways!
Old 12-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Z_xtc

Correction on "Worlds Longest Post," above: The Intake Shootout contained the MD 5/16 spacer that I was considering, and NOT the results of the Revup Lower Plenum on the 287 motor; my bad. That info. came from elsewhere.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:09 AM
jcarp

I'm Puttin The Mrev On My 06 And Gonna Do The 1/4 Mile And I'll Let Ya'll Know What It Does.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Z_xtc

Originally Posted by jcarp
I'm Puttin The Mrev On My 06 And Gonna Do The 1/4 Mile And I'll Let Ya'll Know What It Does.
I should be ready to hit the 1/4 here soon myself. I have been putting it off on purpose up until now because I had a leaky Kinetix v4 that I finally just replaced with the Revup lower plenum, and that took care of that. While doing so I put the MD Iso-Thermal intake gasket & Copper TB heater + bypass on, and it worked so well it threw an IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor code but after resetting the ecm it adjusted and has been fine ever since. Only thing holding me up right now is I'm waiting on a response from Tadashi @ TechnoSquare as to whether the a/f ratio printout I just sent him indicated any room for further improvement (I'm in the 13's now but I've seen tuners go into the 12's with their a/f). After this is done, I'm taking dis' Track to da Track!
Old 02-19-2006, 05:45 AM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey tony, i suspect you're following this thread? i am waiting on the vortech s/c for the 300hp engine, and was wondering if there were any fi applications with your spacer/mrev mod that you know of? i would like to do both installations at once if possible.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:39 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

There is a ton of spacers on FI cars and 287 collectors, but the MREV is so new, I don't know of any on FI.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:55 AM
MIB

Wow that was an Epic read.

So Tony, Has the Mrev made it down under as Yet?

I pick up my 06 on Monday.

Just scouting for some mods.

Did anyone get a Sweet 1/4 mile with the Mrev?

Some considerable time has past (Just readng the thread I grew a beard) since you said there were some Extra plans on the drawing board that would come latter but inital tests said there were more gains to be had, Any further developement there?

MJ
Old 03-17-2006, 07:26 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All this bickering needs to stop!

We are all adults, both companies make quality products. I have the MREV and I can vouch for the performance gains. It is there, well actually it has to be there for a 500 dollar price tag, lol. I have never put a crawford manifold on my 06 but I know from other members it works. So lets just enjoy all our products and not go back and forth on silly incidents.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by MIB
Wow that was an Epic read.

So Tony, Has the Mrev made it down under as Yet?

I pick up my 06 on Monday.

Just scouting for some mods.

Did anyone get a Sweet 1/4 mile with the Mrev?

Some considerable time has past (Just readng the thread I grew a beard) since you said there were some Extra plans on the drawing board that would come latter but inital tests said there were more gains to be had, Any further developement there?

MJ
MJ,
Yes, there are several down under.

And yes, there are several other mods being worked out for production. Some in development and some already dyno tested.

Right now I'm working on the best way to get it manufactured.
Optimizing price/quality and all that stuff.

Others still need to hit the dyno.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Sleepy79

What sort of gains are produced with the Mrev plus (machined lower collector)?

Have there been any considerations machining the top of the intake manifold to shorten the length of the runners a bit and give a bit of the top end back?
Old 03-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Sleepy79
What sort of gains are produced with the Mrev plus (machined lower collector)?

Have there been any considerations machining the top of the intake manifold to shorten the length of the runners a bit and give a bit of the top end back?
They certaintly could be shortened, but it would be very difficult to machine with proper contoures. And power wise it would not be a good trade.

Average power across the board would decrease rapidly as the very peak power numbers in the last part of the RPMs would increase only slightly.

Nissan did a very good optimization of the 287 collector runner lengths. The one thing they needed was to give it better breathing room above runners 1 and 2.