Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Forged pistons and rods

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 12:55 PM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forged pistons and rods

I was considering upgrading my pistons and rods for the Z. Before I did, I wanted to see if there were any potential gains, and whether there was anything else that needed to be done along with these mods. I am currently running NA, but I have some big plans for my car. Regardless, I think I'll stay NA all the way. How much is installation usually on pistons and rods, and can it be done at home? Thanks for any help that anyone can provide me with
Old 10-22-2005, 01:03 PM
g356gear

Originally Posted by krnlikewh0a
I was considering upgrading my pistons and rods for the Z. Before I did, I wanted to see if there were any potential gains, and whether there was anything else that needed to be done along with these mods. I am currently running NA, but I have some big plans for my car. Regardless, I think I'll stay NA all the way. How much is installation usually on pistons and rods, and can it be done at home? Thanks for any help that anyone can provide me with
New pistons will require the block to be overbored 10-20 thousandths. New rod bearings will most likely be needed as well. Budget for a full Nissan gasket set for the re-build too. And no...it is not a home project unless you have a full machine shop in your garage.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of expensive if you only plan on going N/A unless you plan on doing something like a stroker kit.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Gman2004

Don't expect for your big plans to stay n/a to give you BIG numbers.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

honestly, and I mean this with all due respect, if you are asking the install cost and "can it be done at home", I suspect you have never built a motor before? That being the case, save your $$ or find a good engine builder to do it for you.

Before you select components, you have to outline your goals
Old 10-22-2005, 08:46 PM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

True, I haven't built a motor before. I did not even know that there was that much work involved in changing out the pistons and rods. My main reason for this post was to outweigh possibilities of different routes to a faster car, thats all. Thanks everyone for your input.
Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
honestly, and I mean this with all due respect, if you are asking the install cost and "can it be done at home", I suspect you have never built a motor before? That being the case, save your $$ or find a good engine builder to do it for you.

Before you select components, you have to outline your goals
Old 10-23-2005, 04:47 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

making power on this car, be it via NA or forced induction, is not a cheap proposition. For NA use, the right combo of intake/exhaust, headers, cams, plenum/manifold, and most importantly, tuning will yield the results. While there is more involved with NA that FI from a component selection standpoint, it certainly can be done....and done without having to crack the bottom end open.

Personally, I'd reserve that for when the time literally reveals itself (hopefully you won't have to!).

If BIG power (400 + hp @ the wheels) is your goal, you will have to build the bottom end. While it certainly can be done as a DIY project, it is quite involved and will require time, patience and a fair amount of time without the car. For this reason, most simply will leave the job up to an experienced machinist.

Good luck and any questions, let me know
Old 10-23-2005, 08:06 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should not need to touch the bottom end if you truely plan on staying n/a. a few people are close to or over 500whp on stock internals with turbo set ups. you will never get even close to that with bolt ons and or cams. i would think about a single turbo kit or something would be your best cost per hp and still stay on a stock bottom end.
the vq35 is not the easiest motor to be your first tear down and assembly. specially big cams that would require redoing all the follower shims.