Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Sent here by the G35 boards.G35 Dedicated drift cars, pics and Vids and questions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 02:55 PM
user 6292
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sent here by the G35 boards.G35 Dedicated drift cars, pics and Vids and questions!

***Excuse the BAD synthaxe/grammar 3rd time writting this since computer keeps crashing ***

So let me introduce myself, My name is Yan and i represent a shop called Automotion. We are a bunch of friends that have hung out together for a few years and in the past 3 years have gotten into drifting quite seriously. Our top driver Marco Santos has amazed many in Canada and been the target of quite a few US sponsors however we have never had the chance until now to put something worthwile together. A 2003 G35 coupe 6 speed with brembo package! We did preliminary tests on track with the car on october 22nd and were truly amazed (vids and pics at the bottom) at just how good this thing is! We are all VERY anxious to get the car back out there for another run but winter is here

I came here in hopes of getting some help and advice from some of the more experienced G35 owners. I have done my reading and TONS of research on the car and know everything i could ever learn about the basics. From here on its what we teach ourselves and what R&D we can afford (none :P we have ZERO sponsors.....)

Our first order of business is what motor to choose. We have had large debates over this and we are all torn. No one knows what to do since we dont have an unlimited budget. The Vq seems to be an awesome motor in stock and mild modified form however we are having our doubts about how much abuse the thing can take. I have read up on VQs and know all their weak points and what needs to be done to be just like every other 500HP G35 however we can fabricate and dont really care for warranty or other perks which make 500HP liveable to everyday. Our only business is going sideways and without breaking the bank (SPONSORS WELCOME ) or the motor for that case. Our goal is 400-500WHP (400 minimum but prefferable along the 450-500Range)

So heres a list of a few drivetrain choices which we think would be up to the task starting with the obvious....

#1 SSR engineering VQ35DE Twin turbo kit
What can i say that you guys dont know. 350 lb/ft TQ at 2500RPM.....HOLY CRAP thats insanity. This level of TQ i have never felt before other than a viper and my g-d would that light up some 275 rear tires all day long. FLAT and REALLY nice Tq band all across the RPM. Turbo kit is great but the motor worries me. I have seen the block naked and it looks flimsy in comparison to RB and SR power plants. Open Deck needs to get closed up with a block off plate which to the best of my knowledge means resleeving the block with Darton sleeves or getting a custom plate made which we have the ressources for but still remains a daunting task. ++VQ sweet sounds and torque, OEM motor -- $$$, questionable strenght without serious $ dumped in, Space constraints during competition.

#2 N/a Response Machine VQ40DE
We have thought about using a Pathfinder 4.0 block with the VQ35DE heads making a 4.0. Of course we wouldnt stop there and would probably add high compression (13.0+:1) pistons and have the entire rotating assembly lightened. On top of that we would probably go for Individual Throttle bodies. Thing is we dont know how much HP this could make. We figure since i have seen 300WHP VQ35DE motors with EVERY possible bolt on possible a full race 4.0 with High compression pistons running race fuel should be able to make 400WHP - 450WHP. This is unchartered territory which is great for sponsors and to get people impressed but well same can be said for the developement part of it. It would however sound Ung-dly and from the videos i have seen of the Tilton clutch/Flywheel combo this thing would be Insanely response and have Huge amounts of torque at all RPM while maintaining AWESOME response. ++ Sounds, Uniqueness, Response, Weight, simplicity -- $$$ again, complicated, unchartered territory, tight work space.

#3 SR20DET
By far the easiest, Cheapest and most cost effective/ space effective solution. 2.2 stroker kit with a nice cool 450WHP would be great. Not as much torque as the VQ nor the response or smoothness but 1/4 of the price to assemble and put together. Besides the fact we know these motors for the past 5 years and have tons of spares, parts etc laying around. A few of them already on the scene drifting. Great motor for sure and seem to be a strong choice for now. +++ Price, availability, space, simplicity, experience ---Bah its a 4 cylinder instead of a 6, common motor so nothing special there.

#4 VG30DETT from Z32 turbo 300ZX
Ah back to the V6 but this time a 3.0! Cheap, easy to find parts for, SUPER well developped motor with gobeful of info everywhere, Keeps a V6 with strong tranny and 500WHP is NOT a problem for this motor even slightly built with just a set of forget pistons and rods! EASY to tune the ecu and just all around great choice for a motor.+++ V6 torque, easy 500WHP( more?) Availability of parts, strong tranny, developed ---Who the hell wants to see a VG30 drift? Space constraints, timing Belt, weight

#5 dreamer motor project.VH45DE or VH45DETT
whats cooler than a 4.5 high compression ITB'd V8 making 550WHP?
a 800WHP 4.5 V8 with twin GT30R turbos where the headlights use to be smoking 345 wide tires Could be cool and Could be done but first we need good sponsors for something of the sort. Deffinately could be done though.

So there it is guys. Comments, Critisism, bashing cause were drifting a G35 SPONSORS, YES LOTS OF SPONSORS. Your all welcome to voice your opinion. I thought i would come here and find some cool guys since everyone seems friendly enough (ive been lurking here for a while).

Old And New cars

Last edited by user 6292; 10-31-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:56 PM
user 6292
Banned

Old Machine Drifting

Blown Rear tire

Action shots!

I think ive annoyed ya guys enough with pics Now for the video!!!!
No for mods on the car there in only two....No interior except for Dash and door panels and OEM cut springs. Stock everything else we had NO time yet to do much since we got the car on Thursday at 4 pm, stripped it completely by 6 pm and Painted /Slammed by 10PM. Reassembled the next day then off to a car show then week later when no parts had arrived off for the first day out. we NEVER drove the car before the FIRST time you see Marco drifting it. It was his first 30 seconds of seat time you see there and already he throwing iit HARD into the corners like a mad man. Now lets go guys i want honnest opinions, What do you think about the color, the driving, the car, our plans. DONT be shy!

http://www.efuzz.ca/pub/G35Drift.wmv

any sponsorship inquiries are welcome PM or Email me at yanohayon@hotmail.com

I thank everyone for looking and lets hope we can make this dream come true.

Yan
Old 10-31-2005, 03:15 PM
MIAPLAYA

I don't think sleeves are going to be a necessity for you at 450-500 RWHP. Theres PLENTY of people thrashing their motors with that amount of power and no sleeves. But if you are looking to do something from the list I would choose number 1. SFR twin turbo kit, Arias 9:1 Extreme Duty Pistons, Pauter rods, Darton Sleeves, ARP hardware, ATS twin disc clutch, and for drifting DEFINITELY a Nismo diff with 100% lockup setting. That shoudl take care of EVERYTHING. Your best bet here is to contact Sharif at www.forgedinternals.com He has provided probably more then half of the board with internals for their VQ35 and has a 600+ RWHP Z himself. He may even be interested in doing some kind of deal for you but don't quote me on it.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:36 PM
JeffesonM

...another vote for building the VQ35. You should have no problems getting a reliable 450-500whp with any of the TT kits and a built motor.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:50 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I don't think sleeves are going to be a necessity for you at 450-500 RWHP. Theres PLENTY of people thrashing their motors with that amount of power and no sleeves. But if you are looking to do something from the list I would choose number 1. SFR twin turbo kit, Arias 9:1 Extreme Duty Pistons, Pauter rods, Darton Sleeves, ARP hardware, ATS twin disc clutch, and for drifting DEFINITELY a Nismo diff with 100% lockup setting. That shoudl take care of EVERYTHING. Your best bet here is to contact Sharif at www.forgedinternals.com He has provided probably more then half of the board with internals for their VQ35 and has a 600+ RWHP Z himself. He may even be interested in doing some kind of deal for you but don't quote me on it.
+1... he is right on the Money!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 03:59 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoah, awesome to see another Z/G platform drifting.

Another vote for a built VQ...but theres something about having a transplanted motor.