Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 04:47 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts
Default Hawk HP Plus for Brembos

After having installed the HP Plus on my track model, I thought I'd give a short review. The first thing to recommend is to check the condition of your stock pads, whether the standard brakes or the Brembos. There's a lot of dusting from such a soft compound and even the break-in period can result in heavy wear!

The first thing to notice is that the Hawks are not beveled at the edges of the pads the way the stock pads are. There is no backing plate for the front Brembos, so don't forget to put a little anti-seize on the top and bottom edges of the backing plate where some squealing may occur.

Speaking of squealing- I currently have quite a bit when I'm braking lightly. Under heavy application, that's not the case. The HP Plus has acquitted itself quite well on the track. It does not have a high temperature rating, but at this time of the year that is not a big problem.

I think they stop with perhaps a bit more torque than the stock pads- maybe 5-7%, not much more. They do provide good feedback and I found that they were fade-proof, even after 10-12 laps around two different tracks. Dusting? A bit less than stock, but not a bunch...

All in all, the HP Plus compound works well as a street-to-track application. I believe it's engineered for autocross and light track use, but it stood up to multiple track days and lots of heat sink between sessions. Not too expensive at just over $120 and I'd recommend Andi Lim over at Cobalt Friction for trying a set!
Old 01-02-2003, 08:58 AM
digerydingo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, I was looking to something like that along with some steel braided cables.