Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Some Performance Mods I am considering (comments please?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 08:51 AM
12SecZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Performance Mods I am considering (comments please?)

I got these from the new sport compact section of the latest Summit Racing Catalogue and they say they are available for my Nissan.

1. BBK Throttle Body 8-15HP
2. Venom 400 Power Module 25% more HP
3. Nology plug wires 5% more HP
4. CAI (haven't decided on brand)
5. Unorthadox Racing (UR) UD Pullies up to 37 HP
6. Aftermarket Chip (not sure on brand yet won't be Jet!)
6. Venom Nitrous Kit

Of course I don't have the cash to do all these right away but what are the opinions here?

Thanks and have a good day!
Old 01-04-2003, 09:08 AM
TCL

I didn't think the Nissan direct ignition system used plug wires. If that's the case, it would make me question the validity of the claims for the other modifications.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:39 AM
iboost

My opinion is that those #'s are VERY optimistic and probably unattainable with a N/A VQ35DE 350Z.

iboost
Old 01-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by iboost
My opinion is that those #'s are VERY optimistic and probably unattainable with a N/A VQ35DE 350Z.

iboost
I agree. 25% MORE HP? I would question the other numbers on that claim alone.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:31 PM
12SecZ

Default Cool Thanks for the replies

Manafactures always hype the numbers higher.

The Venom Wet Kit sounded cool because it is direct port with 3 settings WOT, adjustable by RPM and off. Complete kit for 600 bucks, up to 200HP!

Any ideas for where to put a 10lb bottle? I have 2 10's in a sub box where most people would put it, need what's left of my trunk and the spare was removed for my amp rack lol.

I'm gonna research some BBK and Venom stuff because Summit has been wrong on Inventory before and specializes in muscle cars, the Import Sport Compact Section is new and very small (like 3 pages.)

I'm not sure I want to spend 350 for a new BBK TB for 5RWHP (avg.)

As for the Nology Plug wires it just said "Nissan", I didn't know my car didn't have plug wires, learn something new every day!

Dumb question #2. It has spark plugs right?
How good are they? If it does have them can more spark be attained by switching them to better grade?

I'm gonna google on Venom for awhile about this "Power Module."
It claims to work even better with "after market chips."

Edit Add, I really like the looks of the AEM V2 (Version 2) CAI in Blue for my car. It's not out yet. I'm not gonna buy AEM 1 when V2 is around the corner.

Why does it say manual transmision only? Why would this make a difference? (I'm not a mechanic) because this really limits my choices in CAI and I don't like the red Injen cone against my blue background.

Last edited by 12SecZ; 01-04-2003 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Rizzness

The Venom chip is simply an ECU piggy-back type unit that fools the computer into reading the air fuel ratio differently. All it really does is substitute for your foot by triggering the computer to function as if you had depressed the pedal down more. On other boards we all said it was a joke and if you were too lazy to push the accelerator down then you should buy it (its like $400++---- forget it!!)
Nology wires are good- but I don't know if they are applicable to the Z.
Throttle bodies with an increase in intake diameter, cold air intakes, and underdrive pullies are good places to start when increasing the performance on a N/A car. Not too much $$ and reasonable hp- like 5-10 hp each.
Nitrous- good luck- cheap HP- don't know much about it. There ya have it!
Rizz
Old 01-04-2003, 01:42 PM
12SecZ

Default Thanks Rizz

I believe it said the BBK TB was 62mm, will have to check again.
What is the MAF setup like in our car? Do they make an after market one? It would be good to do the TB, MAF and CAI at the same time since they all attach at the same point.

I am a former domestic car racer (Pontiac Trans AM FireHawk #42 with NOS 5177 Kit) and I am new to imports. Actually this is my *first* import. Before that it was all LS1 engines. A Z28 then the Hawk and mods were easy and cheap!

Also are there any "free mods" or "secret" mods for free HP like with the LSI's like Free Ram Air and the TB Bypass and descreening the MAF etc!

All of these free LSI mods showed respectable gains. Like !CAGS, which was what I believe to be a skip shift eliminator (not applicable to me.)

Thanks for the tip on the Venom Power Module. I hate snake oil so I will be bouncing my ideas off this board before spending my hard earned cash on my new baby.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:00 PM
12SecZ

Arrow So much for Summit Racings Credibility

Great place to buy domestic race parts but they list a 62mm BBK Throttle Body in their brand new sport compact section but look here at BBK's website.

BBK Intake link

Not only is Nissan not listed (nor any other "sport compact")

But nither is a "62mm" if I am reading the site correctly!

Here is Venom's website, I will be reading this today. I have heard good things about their wet kit.

Venom Racing

Edit Add,

Here is that 400 Unit from Venom I mentioned. It does claim 25% HP so that was not Summit''s false advertising at least.

Venom 400 Power Unit

and here is the Nitrous kit I was looking at in Summit

VCN1000 system

Looks like they make a 2000 too. Still reading

Last edited by 12SecZ; 01-04-2003 at 02:28 PM.