Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Blown transmission yesterday (4th gear stuck)!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Mr.Jadkowski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by southern_info
My grinds aren't the type of grinds you get from going too fast from 1st into 2nd gear and you get stuck not being able to get into the gear. Mines is only when I regular shift from 4th into 5th and it goes into gear. But I feel a little grind as it sets in the gear but this is only every once in awhile like 2 times a week. What do you think?
That's exactly what I get, but much more frequent. I'd say every other shift. UNLESS I bury my clutch to the floor and only put a little pressure on the shifter until it slides into gear (usually once the engine has dropped down to idle RPM). Otherwise it'll grind for a split second as it goes into gear. This happens frequently with 6th, and is starting to happen more frequently with 5th. The obvious thing to me would be syncros... but we'll see what nissan has to say thursday.

The wierd thing is that it's happening with fifth and sixth, the two gears that I never shift quickly into.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:01 PM
rednezz

My current tranny started like that with an occasional grind from 4th to 5th. It progressively got so bad that 6th gear broke (its next to fifth gear so that is probably why it broke) and the other gears locked out except for 1st and 5th. The tranny wouldn't have died had the dealer found the problem the first time I took it in for grinding.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mines is only when I regular shift from 4th into 5th and it goes into gear. But I feel a little grind as it sets in the gear but this is only every once in awhile like 2 times a week. What do you think?
All 3 of my tranny's have had this notch when shifting into 5th at regular speed....
Old 11-30-2005, 12:12 PM
southern_info

I found out all MT have this device and it's purpose is to help start the car. When the device malfunction on my car it was in forth gear and was locked. Now the question still is how was I able to start the car and drive it to nissan in forth gear? The part is an electronic device that malfunction on my car and was replace today. Nissan told me to come and pick up the car whenever I can and that it is ready. Sorry for me misinforming everybody that I had a blown transmission. Nissan drove like it was suppose to be driven and said transmission is strong and good.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Starchecker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think mine does the same thing!

My grinds aren't the type of grinds you get from going too fast from 1st into 2nd gear and you get stuck not being able to get into the gear. Mines is only when I regular shift from 4th into 5th and it goes into gear. But I feel a little grind as it sets in the gear but this is only every once in awhile like 2 times a week. What do you think?

Mine does this when I shift into fourth sometimes. Again I never agressively speed shift into that gear. I wondered if it was a synchro issue(I am not much of a gear-head). It doesn't do it all them time, but sometimes, the stick just rattles when I engage the clutch or try to accellerate after it's supposed to be fully engaged.

I had Nissan look at it, and they couldn't duplicate it and said it was fine, but I have a feeling it will come back to bite me down the road.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:54 AM
southern_info

Originally Posted by Starchecker
Mine does this when I shift into fourth sometimes. Again I never agressively speed shift into that gear. I wondered if it was a synchro issue(I am not much of a gear-head). It doesn't do it all them time, but sometimes, the stick just rattles when I engage the clutch or try to accellerate after it's supposed to be fully engaged.

I had Nissan look at it, and they couldn't duplicate it and said it was fine, but I have a feeling it will come back to bite me down the road.

Let me get this straight, your are saying your grinding when going into 4th gear right? Have you ever speed shifted from 1st into 2nd gear and if so is it the same grind? If that happens then I would have 1 of the techs drive your car with you in it and you tell him to get on it. To be honest I'm not a gear head either and you could probably start a post in the right section about your problem and the gear heads will come to assist you.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Mr.Jadkowski

I dropped my car off this morning at the dealership to have them take a look at my tranny, amongst other things. They called me this afternoon and said that they got the same grind I was getting, and they were going to drop the transmission and see exactly what was wrong. Which means I'll be out a car for a little while :-/ But, maybe it'll shed some light on what the issue is exactly.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:03 PM
southern_info

Originally Posted by Mr.Jadkowski
I dropped my car off this morning at the dealership to have them take a look at my tranny, amongst other things. They called me this afternoon and said that they got the same grind I was getting, and they were going to drop the transmission and see exactly what was wrong. Which means I'll be out a car for a little while :-/ But, maybe it'll shed some light on what the issue is exactly.

Nissan is suppose to put you in a rental car if your car is still under warranty.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Starchecker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grinding

Let me get this straight, your are saying your grinding when going into 4th gear right? Have you ever speed shifted from 1st into 2nd gear and if so is it the same grind? If that happens then I would have 1 of the techs drive your car with you in it and you tell him to get on it. To be honest I'm not a gear head either and you could probably start a post in the right section about your problem and the gear heads will come to assist you.
It's not like the really embarrassing grinding you get when you miss a speed shift into second or third, that's why I don't even know if it's a grinding issue or what. It only happens in fourth gear, and when I let out the clutch the stick starts to vibrate(not the typical high frequency engine vibration that you can feel in just about any gear). This almost feels like something is slipping, it just doesn't feel like it's fully engaging the gears. You don't hear any sounds, it's the vibration in the stick feels like something very unpleasant is going on.

It's hard to duplicate as well as describe, so I figured I would wait until it's a little more frequent and then have the dealership take a ride with me.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Mr.Jadkowski

Nissan is suppose to put you in a rental car if your car is still under warranty.
Yeah, they are giving me a loaner tomorrow. What I meant to say is that I'll be out of my car for a while. On the plus side... hopefully it's a little sentra. I hear those things have killer e-brakes :-P