Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

WOW! What a difference!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 12:07 PM
Edretti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOW! What a difference!!!!

I removed the resonator on my Z this past friday and man what a difference! Not only does the engine sound like it has a set of ***** but it definitely made an improvement in the HP category. When it's cold on 1st start up it sounds a little raspy but after about 5 minutes it's just hard to keep it off of the 4000RPM mark where I think it sounds the best. Believe me that it does not sound ricey by any means. It is exactly what this car should've sounded like from the get-go. I read in a previous post a week or so ago how someone had it cut out and a straight pipe welded in its place. I'm a little **** about my car and instead elected to have an entire bolt on pipe to replace the factory one and looks very very clean. I highly recommend this small but fantastic mod. It only cost $150.00!!!

Eddie
Old 01-13-2003, 12:58 PM
dollar99

ONLY COST $150???? Thats a little much, most people paid $30 - $60.
Old 01-13-2003, 12:58 PM
McDan

How recently have you calibrated your Butt-Dyno?
Old 01-13-2003, 01:10 PM
jeffw

Originally posted by dollar99
ONLY COST $150???? Thats a little much, most people paid $30 - $60.
Read his whole post. He had a new bolt-in straight pipe made as opposed to just cutting fore and aft of the resonator. I believe someone else on this board that had a bolt-in pipe made paid the same amount.
--
Jeff
Old 01-13-2003, 01:25 PM
Edretti

You are correct jeffw. It would've only cost me 30-50 bucks to cut it and weld a small pipe in but I didn't want that. In the event that I didn't like it I wanted to be able to return it back to stock and I also wanted a clean looking job. Either way well worth the money I spent.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Edretti

Oh, and haven't dyno'd my butt yet dan the man. Hopefully in the next week or so.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:30 PM
Cintel7

After reading a few negative posts and listening to one of our member's MPEG files.. I was a little skeptical... but what the hell.. when the glass pack dies out, it is going to sound the same as without the resonator anyway.... so off she goes.

Let me tell you, the sound is sweet.. you have to listen to it in person. It is about 25% louder than stock but when you cruise, it is the same as stock.

mine cost $35 for about 10 minute work; tell them to put 2.5" over the stock 2.25")
Old 01-13-2003, 02:59 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I've heard one cold and warmed up. It isn't my thing. It isn't much louder at low to mid RPMs, but it gets very raspy at WOT.

I tend to doubt there is much HP pickup. It doesn't really look like it would create much restriction, as it is pretty much straight through. It might create some slight turbulence, but not much. At most, I'd bet 2-5 hp (and I would only believe that after seeing several dynos).
Old 01-13-2003, 03:15 PM
dougrace zs

I tend to doubt there is much HP pickup. It doesn't really look like it would create much restriction, as it is pretty much straight through. It might create some slight turbulence, but not much. At most, I'd bet 2-5 hp (and I would only believe that after seeing several dynos
I agree
Old 01-13-2003, 03:18 PM
zogan

Originally posted by MannishBoy
I've heard one cold and warmed up. It isn't my thing. It isn't much louder at low to mid RPMs, but it gets very raspy at WOT.

I tend to doubt there is much HP pickup. It doesn't really look like it would create much restriction, as it is pretty much straight through. It might create some slight turbulence, but not much. At most, I'd bet 2-5 hp (and I would only believe that after seeing several dynos).
if you search this forum you will see those numbers
Old 01-14-2003, 05:54 PM
joeshow750

Yeah, probably not much of an hp gain. But I wonder what the hp gain would be if you just took off the whole muffler and welded a couple of pipes to the exhaust tips.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:29 PM
commasense

Default Edretti: come to Columbia

Edretti:

Can you make it to the meeting in Columbia on Jan. 25? It looks like there will be about a dozen Zers there, and I'm sure lots of us would like to see and hear your mod.

Info is here:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=15077

Hope you'll be there.