Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

So what makes the JDM ECU un-usable in our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 05:59 AM
Zaphod 350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by WRBLUEWAGON
35hp from ECU upgrade with those mods is not going to happen unless you remove cats. I have tuned Links, Utecs and Tecs and SAFCs on turbo and none turbo cars and with out race gas or emisson controls it not going to happen on an other wise stock 350z. $1300 is a stand alone!! not a fare ecu reflash price.
$1300 for full ECU. In other words retaining stock ecu unaltered and being send a complete drop in ECU. Some folks might want to keep their stock box on hand for dealer visits. Though if the gain is minimal, it might not be necessary.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:33 AM
2k3silver350z

Originally posted by WRBLUEWAGON
35hp from ECU upgrade with those mods is not going to happen unless you remove cats. I have tuned Links, Utecs and Tecs and SAFCs on turbo and none turbo cars and with out race gas or emisson controls it not going to happen on an other wise stock 350z. $1300 is a stand alone!! not a fare ecu reflash price.
this is also what people said about the RSX-s before hondata released their flash. they said it wasn't possible then they laid down a 15hp gain to the wheels from their ECU.

i believe all cars now from overseas are serverely detuned to meet ULEV and LEV standards. the ignition maps is where we will see our big increase in power and fuel maps will help a little but not as much. combining some more free flowing mods will lead to more HP and TQ gains also. the advanced timing will also help the bottom end more. this will probably be advised for NA only cars period though. so if SC or TC is a possibility i would stay far away from it.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:17 AM
Zaphod 350z

WRBLUEWAGON - keep me posted on the stand alone. We all know that MAFs are the worst thing when trying to tune a car for performance. I would love to delete it from the system. And since I aim to be squeezing soon, I want to maximize the injector duty cycle to it's fullest potential.

2k3silver350z - I think (hope) we will be pleasently surprized by the gains of our ECU's. Foriegn companies really crap out american programs in fear of our emissions laws. Having had an S4 prior to this, I know that a euro spec ECU was significantly faster than American. Not as night and day as stock to aftermarket, but a noticable difference which was not achieved through raising of boost levels. The Euro and Amer both ran 8 - 10 psi stock. Gains where achieved with timing advancement, A/F mixture, injector duty cycle, etc. So we'll see.