Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Quaife ATB Helical Differential

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Akodo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quaife ATB Helical Differential

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this option. I have a model with LSD equipped and I realize I will need to make some changes. I'm wondering what changes and cost would be involved and also asking people that may have it if they truly notice better traction. I've noticed a lot more breaking in 1st and 2nd where the LSD is in constant slip mode for a few seconds. I know there is KAAZ and Cusco out there. What would the best option be. From what I see I'd like to see the best traction for my buck out of the differentials.

Looking forward to your replies.

Last edited by Akodo; 02-07-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:01 AM
Z33

I've had my Quaife on about a month, and I'm finding it far more effective than the stock VLSD. Dry _and_ wet traction is much better. It's still possible to break the rear loose, but you either spin both wheels or none at all (no more 1-wheel burnouts.) But the biggest improvement IMHO is WRT handling. Our chassis is naturally well balanced, but that balance can be upset badly if you're only getting driven from one corner. The Quaife is very smooth in delivering the power, and this Z feels more stable than it ever did through turns of any reasonable radius.

It's not the best choice for drifting, but there are lots of Quaifes in race cars of all classes, and there's just no downside for a daily driver. VDC actually works better, too, since it has to do less, and there's less noise than from a clutch-type LSD, if slightly more than the VLSD. No periodic maintenance issues, either.

The only real downside is cost, especially converting from VLSD. Figure around $1400 for the Quaife itself, then add new flanges, bearings, seals and fluid for around $350, plus shims and installation costs, say around $500 or a bit more. So you're looking realistically at $23-2500, using new parts. It's a bit less if you've got an open diff to start with, but still over $2k.

Worth it? I think so. Your power hooks up better and your suspension works better; acceleration and stability are both improved, handling limits are raised, so your Z is both safer and more fun to drive hard. Grows hair on bald guys, too.

Since you'll have the rearend out anyway, it's worth thinking about shorter gearing, too, particularly if you're NA. I put in Central20's 3.9:1 gearset with the Quaife, and they're a great match.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:09 AM
Akodo

Appreciate the reply. Think my mind is made up. Really interested in putting the most torque to use. I really don't like the slip-o-matic of the stock LSD. Won't be drifting anyways.

Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:21 AM
bullseye

I agree with Z33 on everything but the "grows hair on bald guys" remark... unless Z33 was referring to ears and nostrils! It's a good buy, nonetheless.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Skrill

I think the Nismo clutch type is way better.

The comment that you spin both wheels is sort endemic to the Quaiffe design. If one wheel loses all traction (spinning) then the diff acts as an open diff.

This is a real problem on wet race tracks when you hit a painted berm or curb.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:03 PM
bullseye

Again, I don't disagree at all, but if one wheel starts to spin, the Quaife will probably "catch it" and send more torque to the opposite wheel before it breaks loose entirely... in most cases. As far as spirited driving in the wet is concerned, I [probably] would not do that [on purpose] on the street. I'd probably take it easy at the track too, unless I was competing for some serious cash. I don't think there is a differential made that will keep you on the pavement in every case where you exceed the limits of tire adhesion, in the wet or dry. Plus the Quaife has a "forever" warranty on it, with no power limits, even in racing conditions. And no maintenance is required... ever. No clutches or variable viscosity fluids to change-out. The Quaife is silent and seamless, too. I'm sure the Nismo piece is *very* good, but the Quaife is all alone at the top of the heap... unless you consider, possibly, custom-built diffs with electronic controls rather than the Quaife's mechanical approach.

I appreciate the opportunity to trade ideas. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:11 PM
bullseye

Note: I'm probably biased toward Quaife a little. The Quaife I have now on my '03 5AT G35 is the second one I have put on a car. My first Quaife went on my '95 5MT Maxima SE. I have experience driving the Quaife on both FWD and RWD applications. I like it. I do not have any practical driving experience with the Nismo unit, but direct feedback from others, as well as anecdotal evidence, seems to favor the Quaife unit. Good luck with the decision, Akodo.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Akodo

Thanks Bullseye. What I guess I'm aiming for is either an ATS Carbon fiber LSD or the Quaife. Really would like more input and opinions too. It will cost me more in other parts to go to the Quaife rather than just swapping out the ATS Carbon with the stock LSD.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:01 PM
bullseye

You might inquire with Sharif at forgedinternals.com, who seems to be a genuine authority on most things related to VQ35 Z/G applications. As a matter of fact, I think he may have an ATS CF LSD on his [built] 600HP+ Z. I'm sure he would be happy to tell/sell you everything you need. Service is first-rate, too.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Skrill

Originally Posted by bullseye
Again, I don't disagree at all, but if one wheel starts to spin, the Quaife will probably "catch it" and send more torque to the opposite wheel before it breaks loose entirely... in most cases. As far as spirited driving in the wet is concerned, I [probably] would not do that [on purpose] on the street. I'd probably take it easy at the track too, unless I was competing for some serious cash. I don't think there is a differential made that will keep you on the pavement in every case where you exceed the limits of tire adhesion, in the wet or dry. Plus the Quaife has a "forever" warranty on it, with no power limits, even in racing conditions. And no maintenance is required... ever. No clutches or variable viscosity fluids to change-out. The Quaife is silent and seamless, too. I'm sure the Nismo piece is *very* good, but the Quaife is all alone at the top of the heap... unless you consider, possibly, custom-built diffs with electronic controls rather than the Quaife's mechanical approach.

I appreciate the opportunity to trade ideas. Thanks.

There is a reason that race teams that compete on Speed World Challenge, Grand Am Cup, etc., use clutch diffs on RWD vehicles. They work better. I am a track rat -- so clutch would be the only type I would even consider.

On my Sentra Cup Car (full race car) I would consider Quiaffe because it is FWD. But ultimately, I will probably go Nismo clutch type on that as well because its cheaper. My point is -- Quiaffe is better for FWD applications.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:12 PM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THX723
Ed,
That is tricky questions for me to answer because I can approach it from a variety of angles and give you different asnwers.

In your case (and priority), the metal clutch-type LSD would be most ideal IMHO. At your power level and especially the size of R-compound tires you will be using, I'm not so certain any other LSD type (other than metal clutch type) is able to handle the torque in binding the rear-axle.

For the others, it's a toss up between the ATS-carbon and the Quaife. The best I can put it is as follows:

- On the track the ATS-carbon will do you no wrong. Period.
- On the street the Quaife will do you no wrong. Period.

- For the casual tracker, the Quaife's virtual zero maintenance schedule and 100% seamless operation gets my vote (no 'tut tut').
- For the serious tracker who also streets, ATS-carbon has an arguable edge here.

In order of streetablity:

1. Quaife (transparent)
2. ATS carbon (mild)
3. All other metal clutch type (may be intrusive)

Hope that helps.

--------------------
Clint (THX723)

Read This Thread

I myself have a Quaife in my G35 Sedan. I'm in the category of the casual tracker and thus why I got the Quaife. From my limited time with it so far it has performed nothing short of beautiful on the street. Have yet to experience it on the track but I expect nothing less.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Oleg

Do you guys think that I will make a big sacrifice if I do the Cusco RS LSD instead? (this seems to be the only other diff compatible with 5AT)
Old 02-09-2006, 09:39 AM
bluesaint

cusco RS lsd is used in JGTC, so that tells you a lot. It's up there higher than quaife
Old 02-09-2006, 11:22 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should be getting my Quaife installed in a few weeks and I can't wait! I am running the Nismo LSD right now and it is very loud. It does work very well though and much better than the stock LSD. I will write a full review/comparison after its installed.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Skrill

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
I should be getting my Quaife installed in a few weeks and I can't wait! I am running the Nismo LSD right now and it is very loud. It does work very well though and much better than the stock LSD. I will write a full review/comparison after its installed.
What are you going to do with the Nismo. I might be interested in it.

Yeah -- they are loud, but that just means it's working. Quaife is more street friendly. For your car (been following your thread) I think you should stick with the Nismo. When you car gets light going over hills or you put a wheel on a painted curb that is wet (from rain or dew) you will see the huge limitation of a Quaife type diff. With you kind of power -- you need a clutch diff I think.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:56 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skrill
What are you going to do with the Nismo. I might be interested in it.

Yeah -- they are loud, but that just means it's working. Quaife is more street friendly. For your car (been following your thread) I think you should stick with the Nismo. When you car gets light going over hills or you put a wheel on a painted curb that is wet (from rain or dew) you will see the huge limitation of a Quaife type diff. With you kind of power -- you need a clutch diff I think.
The Nismo one is getting sold back to VRT. I am interested to see how the Quaife actually works on the track, but I have heard nothing but great reviews on it especially on cars with big power. I will know on March 4th & 5th after the Redline Track Events Time Attack! Thanks for the input Skrill.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Skrill

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
Yeah -- the Nismo LSD is noisey, all clutch types are (my old M3 made a nice thunk and clack when it engaged). It just tells you it's working.

I have been following your project with you Z. I tell you -- you should be concerned about using the Quaife on a track only RWD car. You will see huge limitation of the Quaife design when you car gets light cresting over a hill (think Buttonwillow) or if you hit a painted curb when it is wet with dew or rain. With the power you are running -- I would go with the a clutch type for effectiveness.

BTW -- what are you doing with the Nismo locker?
Old 02-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Akodo

So what limitations exist with a 5AT. I see some here say that only certain Diffs work with AT. I am pushing 500 HP here 400 real wheel and tearing in 1st and 2nd. Would I be better off going with the carbon fiber ATS? It would actually be cheaper for me. My only thought is getting the most traction from the line not so much the turning performance, which Quaife says is there as well. Now I hear about hill cresting and I can already see about painted and wet conditions. Some have said that the Quaife performs well in wet conditions. Which is true?
Old 02-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Skrill

Originally Posted by Akodo
So what limitations exist with a 5AT. I see some here say that only certain Diffs work with AT. I am pushing 500 HP here 400 real wheel and tearing in 1st and 2nd. Would I be better off going with the carbon fiber ATS? It would actually be cheaper for me. My only thought is getting the most traction from the line not so much the turning performance, which Quaife says is there as well. Now I hear about hill cresting and I can already see about painted and wet conditions. Some have said that the Quaife performs well in wet conditions. Which is true?
The trick is that if the Quaife loses all effectiveness if traction is lost on one wheel.

Guys that do track racing with me that have Quaife, wish they had a clutch type.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by Oleg
Do you guys think that I will make a big sacrifice if I do the Cusco RS LSD instead? (this seems to be the only other diff compatible with 5AT)
Thanks, Bluesaint!
What I am looking to find out is, if the Cusco RS is much louder then quaife. Also, is the car "twitchier" (for the lack of a better word) with Cusco as opposed to quaife?
Also, if anyone knows, is the Cusco a direct replacement for the stock viscous diff, or does all that extra stuff, like the stub axels needs to be bought for it? (I have the stock viscous on a 5AT).
Are there any more options for 5AT cars?
Thank you
P.S. I know that this is a quaife thread, but I figure that the diff pros would likely read here and I don't have to pollute the boards with extra threads...

Quick Reply: Quaife ATB Helical Differential